Thoughts on the Windflower Course

Thoughts on the Windflower Course

Postby mattmelcher » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:17 pm

I got the chance to play the course a few times this weekend. (But not as much as Gary!)

It was good to see several people out playing. Just a reminder that we are not yet finished. There are benches and trash cans and signs to install, grass needs to grow, and a bridge needs to be built. I know those will all be done in short order.

Here are a few thoughts on how the course plays:

WIND: The wind seems to blow - a lot. It is named Windflower Park and having lived next to it for several years I can attest to the fact that the winds blows - a lot. It seems to affect nearly every shot you take. The park has several trees, but there is no wooded area.

CREEK: This thing seems to eat discs. The good thing is you can climb in and get your disc back, the bad thing is the creek bank and bottom are muddy and in some places it is very steep. The creek is in play on 10 of the 12 holes - some more so than others.

Hole 4: This is where we need to build a bridge. Right now you have to jump across the creek to hole out. For most people this isn't a problem, but some of us have bad backs and bum knees. You can walk around to your left - and the extra walking is good exercise. Be patient until the bridge is built and don't jump if your not certain you can make it.

Hole 8: While the hole is pretty straight forward, you need to be aware that just beyond the basket the drop off to the creek is steep. The bank is very muddy and there is a deep hole in the water - so deep you will have trouble seeing your disc if you make a poor shot. If it goes in here it will require a real effort to retrieve it. I've already seen a few land here.

Hole 10: If you choose to play on the left of the tree you will bring some peoples' back yards into play. Some of them have dogs. Some of the dogs are BIG. If your disc lands in someone's back yard I suggest you walk around and knock on their door and ask to retrieve the wayward disc. Let's them know that disc golfers are respectful of their property.

Hole 11: Same as hole 10 with the backyards and dogs. With both holes I don't see this as a huge issue unless the wind takes it or you make a bad throw. One other thing on hole 11 - right now the ground is really soft around the basket - muddy in places. As things dry out it wont be a huge issue. Just something to be aware of, especially after it rains.

Since the ground may be soft or you may be going into the creek to get a disc, you want to throw an extra pair of shoes in your car. Just a thought...
Makes it's own sauce when you add water...
mattmelcher

Re: Thoughts on the Windflower Course

Postby KePP » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:34 pm

mattmelcher wrote:Hole 11: Same as hole 10 with the backyards and dogs. With both holes I don't see this as a huge issue unless the wind takes it or you make a bad throw. One other thing on hole 11 - right now the ground is really soft around the basket - muddy in places. As things dry out it wont be a huge issue. Just something to be aware of, especially after it rains.

Great summary, thanks man (not specifically the quote, but the whole thing).

As a side note concerning peoples yards, we had a problem with this in Arizona where people were hoppin fences quick to get their discs back. Cops were called several times, people were busted for trespassing and having green on them, and it gave disc golfers a very bad rap. DO NOT go into peoples yards - they'll be more than happy to get your disc for you if they're home. If they're not... well then consider it gone unless you get lucky. In AZ most the peoples kids would just throw the frisbees back over the fence. Hopefully good karma will return your disc.
KePP

Postby Birdman » Thu May 10, 2007 6:29 pm

i played the course today and really enjoyed it. very well layed out and also a very fun to play.
The real excitement is playing the game.
Birdman

Postby ghstinshll » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:03 pm

porkchop wrote:I have a great 18 hole layout that I would like to try the next time I play in Norwalk.

Original 12 all longs, than......(Do you think You can handle this?)

#13 - 3 long to #4 pin
#14 - 4 long to #5 pin
#15 - 6 short to #7 pin
#16 - 8 to #9 pin
#17 - 10 to 11 pin
#18 - Sidewalk near #11 pin to #12 pin

DAMN MAN!!! Talk about a tournament-caliber layout for the final 6!!!!1 WHOA!!!! :lol: But definitely cool... 8)
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby ghstinshll » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:04 pm

oh yeah, a porkchop has entirely too much time on his hands... LOL He should have been paying attention to shooting under par instead of designing a new "advanced tourney" layout! LMAO! :wink: Just teasin...
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Single L » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:20 pm

ghstinshll wrote:....He should have been paying attention to shooting under par instead of designing a new "advanced tourney" layout! LMAO! :wink: Just teasin...

Not to hard to do if you are throwing every drive long, and into a creek for that matter. I even went long when I geared down to a putter; thus why I envisioned the Long layout.

But, yeah I was pissed shooting +1. I foresee shooting a -7 someday. Birds on 1, 3, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 and possibly 5 and 6; so a -9 is doable!!
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby mattmelcher » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:31 pm

ghstinshll wrote:
porkchop wrote:I have a great 18 hole layout that I would like to try the next time I play in Norwalk.

Original 12 all longs, than......(Do you think You can handle this?)

#13 - 3 long to #4 pin
#14 - 4 long to #5 pin
#15 - 6 short to #7 pin
#16 - 8 to #9 pin
#17 - 10 to 11 pin
#18 - Sidewalk near #11 pin to #12 pin

DAMN MAN!!! Talk about a tournament-caliber layout for the final 6!!!!1 WHOA!!!! :lol: But definitely cool... 8)

That is a pretty big layout...I'll give a try if I get a chance this weekend...here's how I envision it...
#13 - 3 long to #4 pin = 3 shots into the creek
#14 - 4 long to #5 pin = a little better, only 2 shots into the creek, followed by a 3 putt
#15 - 6 short to #7 pin = I'm sure this will go just like I play #7 now: hit a tree off the tee followed by another tree, then land in the creek...
#16 - 8 to #9 pin = 2 shots into the creek followed a few shots later by a putt that lands in the creek (I'm spotting a theme here...)
#17 - 10 to 11 pin = this lands in the backyard with the rottweiler (or the great danes if I get my arm into it)...next shot hits the sign by the 12th tee then ends up by the pump station (Gary has the key)
#18 - Sidewalk near #11 pin to #12 pin = One of two things happen. I chuck my drive to the other side of the road; or I follow a monster drive with a great shot for a deuce!

#19 - As my signature says..."I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff...". Once again I will hit the bottle and listen to Dylan. (Like I haven't done that a few thousand times in my life)...My doctor tells me I need to avoid stress inducing activities...
mattmelcher

Postby ghstinshll » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:19 pm

matt, you really need to get to comedy... LMAO!
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Single L » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:28 pm

"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby mattmelcher » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:59 am

I took my GPS out and measured Porkchop's Safari 6...
My Garmin E-Trex was running at +/- 15 ft for what it's worth.

#13 - 718 ft (3 long tee to 4 pin)

#14 - 542 ft (4 long tee to 5 pin)

#15 - 387 ft (6 short tee to 7 pin)

#16 - 591 ft (8 tee to 9 basket)

#17 - 500 ft (10 tee to 11 basket - dogleg plays 525 ft)

#18 - 395 ft (sidewalk near 11 pin to 12 pin)

Original 12 from the longs:
#1 - 238 ft
#2 - 353 ft
#3 - 287 ft
#4 - 366 ft
#5 - 294 ft
#6 - 324 ft
#7 - 438 ft
#8 - 274 ft
#9 - 310 ft
#10 - 230 ft
#11 - 254 ft
#12 - 299 ft

This adds 3133 feet to the original 12 hole distance of 3667 for an 18 hole length of 6800 feet. We'll call it a 'Porkchop 18'.We played it last night and it was fun.

#13 - Really long with the creek (and trees) coming into play on every shot.
#14 - Blind second shot if you throw too close to the creek
#15 - Not much different than 7 except the angle. It really tempts you to come at the hole from the left side. The tornado took out a few trees here so there are some lanes to the basket that weren't there last week.
#16 - Long and straight with plenty of trees to cause you problems.
#17 - The fence next to the tee really comes into play here.
#18 - A blind shot with a tall fence and a light pole 30 feet off the tee.
mattmelcher

Return to Des Moines (Norwalk) - Windflower Park