West Lake Park baskets are in the ground!

West Lake Park baskets are in the ground!

Postby batlord » Tue May 08, 2007 9:39 am

BIG ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!

So everyone knows, the baskets are in at West Lake Park. And by “in,” I mean they are permanently installed!

Right now, there are no tee pads or signs, but the baskets are out there and ready for play. The course is marked off with paint in preparation for the tournament this weekend. Also, we had a couple of the sleeves and concrete “adjusted” by some kids camping this last weekend, but we’re working on correcting that before the event.

I want to send out a HUGE thank you to Yeti (Jay Reading), who used his silver tongue to convince Harold Duvall at Innova to send us 24 Discatcher Pro baskets and defer billing to the park until after the tournament. This is not regular practice, but Yeti was doing what he could to help the tournament out and to help out disc golf in the Quad Cities. When you see Jay this weekend, make sure you thank him for his help with this.

We’ve also had a solid crew of folks helping us pour concrete for these baskets and do trimming. Be sure to thank the following folks for all their help this past weekend:

K.C. Randall
Alex Oehrlein (couldn’t have done it without this guy)
Wes Keppy
Mike Robinson
Dan Swords
John “dirty old man” Resch
Chad Hein
Tracey Lopez
Steve Hurt (who showed us how to operate a cement mixer)
Mike Heaton
Mike Friestad
Josh, Scott County Park Ranger – the MAN

We also had a crew of folks out last night building the tee box for hole #5. Huge thanks to Dan and Chris Naab for bringing out equipment, tools, and materials and putting this thing in. More folks helped out with this project as well:

Chris Naab
Dan Naab
Alex Oehrlein
Tracey Lopez
K.C. Randall
Chris Sprague
John Resch
Mike Robinson
Mike Friestad
Dan Swords
Josh, Super Ranger

I really hope I didn’t forget anyone’s name. (I usually do.) Each one of these people was integral in getting this course set up and ready for play this weekend. These courses don’t get installed by themselves.

We hope to have cement tee pads in July or August for both pro and am tees. Please get out and enjoy this course. But be mindful of picnickers in the fairways. We haven’t moved the picnic tables out of the way yet. Feel free to do so (provided they are not occupied), otherwise, we’ll make sure we do that in the next day or two.

Enjoy.

Scorecard from last year’s event (the course is almost identical):
http://www.geocities.com/qcdiscgolf/WestLake24scorecard.pdf
Last edited by batlord on Tue May 08, 2007 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
batlord

Postby GDL17921 » Tue May 08, 2007 9:52 am

GDL17921

Postby smalls51691 » Wed May 09, 2007 10:00 pm

i see that there in the ground but is it open for public play or just after rcr?
smalls51691

Postby GDL17921 » Thu May 10, 2007 8:36 am

have at 'em.
GDL17921

Postby SoCal19 » Fri May 11, 2007 5:19 pm

I got to play West Lake for the first time today, and lets just say I gave Chad a big hug after the round. This is by far my new favorite course. Just a great design, beautiful land, and really challenging. I shot an 85 and was pretty satisfied. Great job everyone who has been involved with the process of this course going in the ground.
SoCal19

Postby KePP » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:55 pm

Thank you, Chad Eng, for installing the greatest course I've yet to play. Being 10 minutes from my rural home makes this course a dream come true.
KePP

Re: West Lake Park baskets are in the ground!

Postby KePP » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:58 pm

batlord wrote:We hope to have cement tee pads in July or August for both pro and am tees.

I hope a few of the current tees become the amateur pads.

Anyone notice how #5's teepad has become a fishing dock?
KePP

Postby batlord » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:00 am

I know the parks folks are gung ho about getting in concrete pads for out there. but in the mean time, I may need to round up some volunteers to put in some tee boards temporarily. I also need to round up some free time to do the rounding up, but I'll make it a priority. That stuff goes pretty fast, so we should be able to crank it out pretty quickly. I know there have been a number of people out there trying to play the course, and I'd love to have the boards in as soon as possible. They're all in Kathy's garage, so I don't have to spend any more money on this thing for a while, I'm thinking...

I'll keep you all posted.

As far as pro vs am pads. there are plans to do both sets. Some holes will only have one pad. And there are actually only a few that I'm thinking the existing tees will be the Am tees. we don't want to get too ridiculous on the distances on this course - never thought you 'd hear me say that did you. I'd rather keep it challenging and fun rather than long and impossible. As most of you know, I'm open to suggestion if you've got some ni mind for making the am tees. Just let me know what you think. I've got most of them layed out where I think best, but I'm always open to adjustments...
batlord

Return to Davenport - West Lake