HELP Needed for NORWALK course

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:04 pm

I predict it will take about 3 throws for me to hit that sign on hole 1. :lol:

Gary, your summer hat makes you look a lot less intimidating than that bearskin thang you were wearing last winter. :lol:
GDL17921

Postby ghstinshll » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:22 pm

Jeremy and me, Im the old one[/quote]

Looks like the Grant Wood Painting!!!
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby ghstinshll » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:23 pm

Yeah, it's all recycled plastics...
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby ghstinshll » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:23 pm

Jay, I'm confdent that you'll taco one off that sucker... LOL
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Buzzznation » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:37 pm

mattmelcher wrote:When Gary puts his mind to it...it gets done...

Friday evening, he starts building a bridge.

Staurday evening...the bridge is done.

If only all construction work was done this way :lol:
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby ghstinshll » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:40 pm

Yeah, really!!! Steve, sounds like you need to find a way to get gary onto your staff! LOL
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby puppetmaster » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:43 pm

GREAT DAY today. Took the day off to install the benches and take back extra material from the bridge. the bridge only cost us $799.00. not to bad I thought.
Dan Is making the last 2 signs tonight and best of all,Image
went mushroom hunting afterwords and got about 75. Mainly gray, the yellows sould be out within a week. Now if mama feeds me fast enough, Im going to try to get a quick game in tonight also.
We had our first acurance with vandals some time last night though, the took a milk shack and throw it on our bulliton board, lets hope it doesnt start getting worse.
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
puppetmaster

Postby Danno » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:00 pm

Signs are finished. I will be out Wednesday night, hopefully we can get the last 2 signs in and the park sign done. I think you will all like the addition to the Windflower Park sign out front.
See you all Wednesday!
Danno

Postby ghstinshll » Tue May 01, 2007 9:01 am

Cool, Dan! I'll be having my parents over Weds night, & can show them the course w/ signs in, woohoo!!!
##39027
ghstinshll

course

Postby crazykrug » Wed May 02, 2007 1:27 pm

I might have to venture there tonight to play.

I also used to live next door to the course, I lived on Hunter Street before moving out about 10 years ago and then mom and dad moved a couple years ago from Hunter so it is cool to see my old stomping grounds finally getting a course.

Great job for everyone who has contributed to this park.
crazykrug

Postby puppetmaster » Wed May 02, 2007 4:49 pm

Hope you make it over tonight. Me and some friends will be there around 6:30 to 7 to put up the last two signs and Dan will be dressing up the main park sign and afterwords we will be playing a round.
I'll be the one with the gray in his hair (the kids call me "old bastard") must be my smile :P Your welcome to play along and anyone else also.
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
puppetmaster

Postby ghstinshll » Thu May 03, 2007 2:10 pm

So Actons... what did you think about the course?
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Single L » Fri May 04, 2007 4:21 pm

I played the Norwalk course today and was joined by a scraggly golden retriever named buddy (so his tag said). I shot even from the long pads, including the framed gravel Hole #2 long (I think that 5-7 under is ideal for an advanced am). I started a second round at -3 but quit, I will explain later.

Pros
- Great course for a small town
- Great job on the signs, benches, and bench pad; you guys will have very little erosion problems because of these
- Great use of the stream
- Tough greens
- Holes # 5, 6, and 7 are great holes.

Cons
- Dogs, dogs, dog, and more dogs. Bob Barker should come teach the fine folks of Norwalk about spade and neutering.
- The Hole # and distances on the pads are nice, but due to the smooth surface they are slick. Therefore shortening the pads, or causing you to have to stride over that part if you start form behind; something you should not have to worry about.
- Hole #2 long fairway throws over #1 pin, this is just something to watch out for in future design. This should not be a problem unless park usage spikes and people are putting at the same time others are teeing off.
- Hole #11 plays to close to the utility substation for my liking, the preferred right handed route throws over it. I would recommend modifying the hole.
- Hole #5 needs some love. At 366 ft this hole is very duceable, but there is no way through the trees. All pins should have a route to them, the only one I saw was a thin gap over the bridge. On my first drive I crushed a wraith hyzering across the creek directly to the pin only to get knocked down by the trees and landing in a big ass ravine/creek. I laid up the second time around, my safe shot was about 70 feet away, but due to the trees my only shot was up and over. The thumber landed 5 feet from the pin but rolled into the pool of water in the creek to the left of the pin. I was using a branch over hanging the pool to support myself while fetching the disc, then the branch broke and sent me ass first into the pool. I didn’t feel 8 more holes soaking wet sounded fun so I turned in. I also feel that the bridge plays to close if that gap is the only route. I would suggest removing a few trees to open up a route, this would make it duecable and also parable with a safe shot.

Overall fun course, with some tough greens, great for the town of Norwalk
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby mattmelcher » Sat May 05, 2007 3:52 pm

porkchop wrote:I played the Norwalk course today and was joined by a scraggly golden retriever named buddy (so his tag said). I shot even from the long pads, including the framed gravel Hole #2 long (I think that 5-7 under is ideal for an advanced am). I started a second round at -3 but quit, I will explain later.

Pros
- Great course for a small town
- Great job on the signs, benches, and bench pad; you guys will have very little erosion problems because of these
- Great use of the stream
- Tough greens
- Holes # 5, 6, and 7 are great holes.

Cons
- Dogs, dogs, dog, and more dogs. Bob Barker should come teach the fine folks of Norwalk about spade and neutering.
- The Hole # and distances on the pads are nice, but due to the smooth surface they are slick. Therefore shortening the pads, or causing you to have to stride over that part if you start form behind; something you should not have to worry about.
- Hole #2 long fairway throws over #1 pin, this is just something to watch out for in future design. This should not be a problem unless park usage spikes and people are putting at the same time others are teeing off.
- Hole #11 plays to close to the utility substation for my liking, the preferred right handed route throws over it. I would recommend modifying the hole.
- Hole #5 needs some love. At 366 ft this hole is very duceable, but there is no way through the trees. All pins should have a route to them, the only one I saw was a thin gap over the bridge. On my first drive I crushed a wraith hyzering across the creek directly to the pin only to get knocked down by the trees and landing in a big ass ravine/creek. I laid up the second time around, my safe shot was about 70 feet away, but due to the trees my only shot was up and over. The thumber landed 5 feet from the pin but rolled into the pool of water in the creek to the left of the pin. I was using a branch over hanging the pool to support myself while fetching the disc, then the branch broke and sent me ass first into the pool. I didn’t feel 8 more holes soaking wet sounded fun so I turned in. I also feel that the bridge plays to close if that gap is the only route. I would suggest removing a few trees to open up a route, this would make it duecable and also parable with a safe shot.

Overall fun course, with some tough greens, great for the town of Norwalk

Porkchop - Thanks for the feedback!

Like you said...great use of the stream. It's in play on most of the holes and you do have to think about it when you putt. 5, 6 & 7 are sure some nice holes. I think that the better putter will score well here.

- I dont know what to say about the dogs. I usually dont see any wandering the park. I know there are several behind fences. I'll keep an eye out and see what we can do.
- I know many of us have talked about the short tee pads as well as the smooth areas. I think they fall into the 'If we could do it over we would change...' category. I think it would be a bigger issue if the course were any longer.
- Hole #2 is kind of a trade off. We had to take into consideration the playground equipment on that one. Like you said...it shouldn't be a huge problem.
- I know what you mean regarding hole #11. The silver lining is that the equipment isn't life threatening and the guy that has the key (Gary - mtldetect1) is a disc golfer so you WILL get your disc back.
-I think you may be speaking about hole #4 in your last comment. Sorry to hear you landed in the creek. I've seen this hole approached in a couple of ways. One - play it up close to the bridge and cross up there. Two - Some guys go across the creek to the right of the trees on the first shot and then play parallel to the creek for the second shot. I don't have that much arm. I agree that maybe some tree removel is required to make it a duece opportunity. I know we are talking about stabilizing the creek bank so it may get addressed at that time. I don't expect any changes in the near future (read - this year).

Again - thank for the feedback! I know a lot of people put a lot of effort into getting this course built and we are glad to hear what others think about it.
Makes it's own sauce when you add water...
mattmelcher

Postby puppetmaster » Sun May 06, 2007 9:04 pm

Hay Porkchop, sorry about the bath, but look at the bright side, (cant think of one now but Im sure there is one somehow) :?

What I did was tryed to take the best with all of the other corses I've played. I do agree with the slickness of where I printed out the feet and hole #, If I had it over to do again, I would have made the pads longer to ajust for that or maybe even try to broom over it. That is what I'm going to try with the last two pads, Im hoping that if I let it dry alittle bit longer that I will be able to broom it without messing up the info. We will see.

As far as throwing over baskets, I knew this when I designed it but there just wasn't room to do anything else, If I would have made it a 9 hole, there would have been to much walking from basket to the tee pad. Or even worse yet, there would have been to many wild shots and disc's would have going into peoples yards. Personal, I dont like the fact that baskets 7, 8 and 5 are so close together, but people are just going to have to learn to be patient with eash other while playing. Another thing I know now is I wish I would have made the long pads 4 feet longer.

But the good part about this is I'm sure that the next person that plans to design and build a course will look at many others including ours and make theres better yet. We all learn by our own mistakes and other also.

The tree part about basket 5 will be addressed when the creek gets fixed. I would have liked to have the bridge in another part of the creek but City money didn't alow this. Where it is now is the narrowest part of the creek and moving the basket isn't an option because it would play too much on basket 7 or tee pad 8

I hope you come back and play some more. Oh yea, the bright side; Next time bring a soap on a rope :lol:
puppetmaster

PreviousNext

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club