Doubles Strategy

Learn to throw from local experts.

Doubles Strategy

Postby Lou Siffer » Wed May 02, 2007 1:46 pm

I know I've brought this up before but, hey, I'm old. I forget things. And I... I... what was I talking about?

Some teams rotate on the pad. ie one takes the even holes and the other takes the odd. Any advantage/strategy to doing it this or any other way?

Putting: If it's a long one, first guy lays up and the other goes for it.

What about when a putt is kind of in between, where you should make it but you might not. Who'd goes first?

Any tips, hints, strategy on doubles?

Thanks
"Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then we shall find the way."
-Abraham Lincoln
Lou Siffer

Postby flyinplastic23 » Wed May 02, 2007 1:57 pm

besides rotating holes on drives, usually whomevers lie we use, the other partner shoots it first. For example, I have the better drive and we chose to use mine, then i would let my partner take the next throw from my lie...

as far as putting... just discuss before you play... say... "hey I am gonna lay up... you run for it" or vice versa depending on the putting abilities of your team. if there is a strategy other than that i would like to hear it too!
A person with great dreams can accomplish great things- Bob Rotella

Pionta Guinness, le do thoil
flyinplastic23

Postby MDR_3000 » Wed May 02, 2007 2:03 pm

This is the way Chad and I play dubs:

Off the tee: no particular order. If someone has a shot they are going to take they go first and the person who is between shots goes second.

Upshots: one of us will stick it under the pin and the other with run it. There's no sense coming up short when your partner is parked.

Regular & Long putts: Rocky Jr. said it best in Rocky V..."Go for it", if we don't make it and something bad happens we just deal with it. We are out there to win it.

No real strategy, we just get to play a lot more reckless than we do singles and it seems to work for us.
If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

Postby claya » Wed May 02, 2007 2:19 pm

Adam and I have been using the "This Is Why I'm Hot" strategy. If you throw the closest drive you throw the next shot. If you make the putt you will be driving first on the next tee. It keeps the person with a hot hand in a rhythm.

We also usually lay one upshot close and run the other one. Then we both go for the putt and deal with the consequences later.
claya

Postby flyinplastic23 » Wed May 02, 2007 2:19 pm

hahah... thats the funniest thing ever. Nicely done Clay.
A person with great dreams can accomplish great things- Bob Rotella

Pionta Guinness, le do thoil
flyinplastic23

Return to Throwing Technique