Coming to Des Moines

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

Coming to Des Moines

Postby chalupamarley » Tue May 01, 2007 3:04 pm

My buddies and I are coming down from Minneapolis for our third annual spring tournament. We have friends from Lincoln that meet us there (We originally met in DSM just becuase it was half way, then we realized that DSM is a real disc golf destination).

We've always camped at Saylorville and the courses we play are

Walnut
Ewing
Grandview
Pickard

Twice. We might play in Ames on the way down.

I see there's a couple of new nine holers down there. Are they worth putting in our tournament line-up?

Also, are there camping sites in/around DSM that are better than Saylorville?

Thanks Des Moiners--all of you we've met over our years playing down there have been kind and helpful.
chalupamarley

Postby Buzzznation » Tue May 01, 2007 3:15 pm

I wouldn't go out of your way for any nine holers unless you have the time. If you do have the time; Southwoods Park, and Crivaro Park are both fun 9 holers. One course I would definately add to your list is Big Creek in Polk City, whcih is very close to Saylorville. As far as camping I think Saylorville is a wise choice :D Enjoy your tournament. Are you guys playing this weekend. Probably see you out there at some time.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby chalupamarley » Tue May 01, 2007 3:29 pm

Thanks buzznation

If you or anybody on here are coming up to the cities, shoot me a buzz on here, I'll let you now which are the best courses and where to find them.

We're coming down May 15 and we'll be the ones in the custom black shorts, grey shirts, and mustaches,

Oh yeah, we're also big nerds.
chalupamarley

Postby sorearm » Tue May 01, 2007 3:45 pm

You might want to check on Ames...It was flooded pretty bad last week.I'm sure someone will have an updated report.
________
Montesa Honda specifications
Last edited by sorearm on Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
sorearm

Postby Cydisc » Tue May 01, 2007 4:09 pm

ISU took a big hit with the flooding. The water has pretty much receded, but there are still some ponds and lots of sog.

Carroll Marty didn't flood like ISU, but there is still storm damage from the ice 2 months ago. It's a mess.
Cydisc

Re: Coming to Des Moines

Postby KePP » Tue May 01, 2007 8:32 pm

chalupamarley wrote:Walnut
Ewing
Grandview
Pickard

Sounds like you guys have it pretty much figured out. Great line-up.

Since Ames is flooded you may want to consider Maytag Park in Newton, about 40 miles east of Saylorville Lake. Its well worth the trip - Maytag offers variety and is very aesthetically pleasing.

Big Creek would also be a good course to add. Its very challenging and works well in a tournament b/c it tests how well you can stay out of trouble. There is plenty of trouble, and plenty of weeds.

WaterWorks is a flat, open, long easy course that you could add if that's what you're looking for. Probably still flooded, though. Have fun and good luck.
KePP

Postby Joe Cool » Wed May 02, 2007 7:20 am

As of Monday Water Works is so under water you can’t even drive to the parking lot.
Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.
Joe Cool

Postby GDL17921 » Wed May 02, 2007 9:51 am

I'll stick with my prediction that leagues will not be at WW in two weeks. :lol:
GDL17921

Postby Buzzznation » Wed May 02, 2007 9:53 am

GDL17921 wrote:I'll stick with my prediction that I will get crushed at leagues the next two weeks. :lol:

:lol: :lol:
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby GDL17921 » Wed May 02, 2007 9:55 am

by one stroke again? :lol:
GDL17921

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club