Peninsula work status for 2014.

Peninsula work status for 2014.

Postby Hamer » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:47 pm

Here is where to post if you see some trees down or something in general out of place on the course.

I am hearing that more people want to help keep the Peninsula clean this year. More help is always appreciated.

I will try to organize most of the work days through here and on Facebook. I will post when there is a work night or when something needs done.

If you are someone or know somebody that wants to help, post your contact information such as a phone number or an email address here. You can send an email to office@viciouscirclediscgolf.com with your information if you do not want to post it on the board.

Andy Hamer

Vicious Circle Disc Golf
Last edited by Hamer on Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can only be offended if you want to be.
Hamer

Re: Peninsula work status for 2014.

Postby Hamer » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:54 pm

There is a large tree down on hole #8 in the blue fairway.

Jason Stroud and I cleaned up about half of the debris on 3/30/2014.

It is going to need a large chainsaw blade to clear it all out of that region.

We cleaned it up enough that it will be fine for the short pin location for 4/12/2014 tournament.

Andy Hamer

Vicious Circle Disc Golf
Hamer

Postby Hamer » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:33 pm

Jason and I picked up a lot of branches and logs on hole four and the blue fairway on hole five. There was a lot of stuff left over on hole five from the floods last year. It took about two hours, but it was worth it.

The condition of the entire course is excellent.

Andy
Hamer

Postby Hamer » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:35 pm

Jason and I removed quite a few logs from holes 3, 4, 5 and 9. The fairways are looking excellent. We each put in two hours of work to make four hours total. We cut down some low hanging branches throughout the forest.

Andy
Hamer

Postby prodiscgolf » Fri May 02, 2014 9:36 am

I talked with Duane from the Iowa City P&R on his initiative. He's going to clear the sand from #13's pad and I mentioned the large tree on #8's Blue fairway. He said their direction this year is to mow every 14-20 days. With lots of rain, the grass will get long out there again this year. Duane said if we have a tournament out there, he'll try to get it mowed prior to the event, we just need to let him know the dates.

Terry Robinson has retired from the IC P&R and his replacement starts 5/14. I'm trying to get a meeting to discuss Pen replacement signs and Wetherby's signage for the week of 5/19.
prodiscgolf

Postby prodiscgolf » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:42 pm

I spent yesterday resetting the tee sign posts because the City will eventually hire someone to reweld the signs that we have collected that were broken off the posts. I've ordered the replacement signs and poles for the other holes that need them. Hopefully we will get them here before the end of June.
prodiscgolf

Postby Hamer » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:04 pm

The wind storm knocked down a few trees of varying sizes on the course.
There are a few trees down at the course on holes 2, 3, 6, 7, 9, 10 and 18.
Jason and I picked up a few limbs today.
There is a lot of clean up work needs to be done in the near future.

There is one in the blue fairway on hole 2.
The right side of the fairway on 3 has a tree down.
There is a tree down blocking a throw on the blue tee pad on hole 6.
There is a small tree laying in the blue fairway on hole 7.
Hole 9 has a tree down in the blue fairway.
There is a tree down on the right side of the fairway on hole 10.
Hole 18 has a small tree down on bend around the corner and the large tree by the basket at the long pin location fell over.
Fortunately no baskets were destroyed.
We are quite lucky the large tree on hole 18 missed the basket.
Hamer

Postby prodiscgolf » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:46 pm

Last night I cut off some of the vertical branches on the trees that were on the ground so the holes will be playable. Got #2, a little of #3, #6, #7, & #9. I shoveled #13's red pad and straightened the basket on #12. Didn't have a chain saw, so the larger pieces still need to be cut up.

We are going to have to look into moving #16's fairway. One of the tees is about 6' from the waterline. I will talk to the city about that one.

Anybody available Saturday August 9th for a work day?
prodiscgolf

Postby prodiscgolf » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:50 am

Going to try to do some work out at Peninsula tomorrow, Saturday 8/23, from noon to 2:00 pm. Chain saws would be welcome. Need many hands too!
prodiscgolf

Postby Buzzz Killington » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:23 pm

Three of us with saws cut up everything that was damaged from the flood today. Not all of it is hauled off. When you're out playing, ask people to huk the cuts off into the woods, somewhere appropriate. It'd be a huge help.
Buzzz Killington

Postby Buzzz Killington » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:39 pm

Happy to post that the city came in and cleaned up everything we cut up. The course is looking friggin' sweet. I moved a couple of pins; there are still some I can't open the locks on! My next endeavor is anchoring #14s long position. And probably cleaning/oiling those locks.
Buzzz Killington

Postby Buzzz Killington » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:40 pm

There's a fresh tree down on 9. Maybe this weekend I'll get out there to cut it up.
Buzzz Killington

Postby Buzzz Killington » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:33 pm

I cut up the tree on 9 and left it there for some nice person to haul off ;)
Three pins moved: 2, 9, 15.
I took 17 of the locks to the shop where they were thoroughly cleaned and oiled. Tomorrow I will do the other 20. Yes, there are only 37 locks.
Buzzz Killington

Postby prodiscgolf » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:18 pm

Finally installed the new red tee sign on hole 11, making all 36 out there again. Trimmed some of the left side of the fairway - took out a few of the small cottonwoods.

I started working on a new fairway for #16. The short tee is only 5 feet from the receding shore line again. Going to move the fairway into the trees. Already cut some willows and cottonwoods to help me visualize the flight path. Planning to leave the river birches for now. Strung out some flagging tape to define the right side of the fairway, and some of the left side. The Park and Rec is aware that this is happening and will be helping with some equipment probably after Halloween.
prodiscgolf

Postby diskey river » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:33 pm

any chance of adding a 3rd pin location to some or most of the holes? I have some good ideas + I would donate most of the money towards the new sleeves ...
diskey river

Next

Return to Iowa City - Peninsula Park