Something to think about...

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

Something to think about...

Postby mattmelcher » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:08 pm

I wanted to bring something to the attention of all disc golfers. While I will reference one specific course, I'm sure it applies just about everywhere.

Today while playing at Norwalk a couple of guys were getting ready to tee off behind us. They were at the first tee when the cops pulled into the parking lot. From what I could see they were then stopped, and lot of stuff was going on. They were sitting on the curb for about 20 minutes with the officer checking them out, as well as their car. I don't know if they were arrested, but I do know that the reason all this happened was because they had open containers of beer with them.

Here's the deal...In Norwalk we have had some problems with vandalism in the park. In the last 2 months the shelter (right next to the first hole and parking lot) has been broken into and several thousand dollars of damage was done. There have been multiple incidents of damage to other park fixtures. The local disc golf community has been very active in working with the city and parks and recreation department to reduce the vandalism, increase park usage, and generally make it a better place to visit. As a matter of fact, a few of us attended last nights city council meeting and one of the things we asked for was an increase in the number of police patrols and drive-throughs. It appears they took us at our word and, unfortunately, some disc golfers may have paid the price. If you guys came to Norwalk because of this message board, we are sorry if you got in any trouble.

So here's a word of warning. DO NOT sit in the parking lot and drink beer, or any other liquor. And for God's sake, if you enjoy some of that green stuff PLEASE do not use it while in the park. Our local police force is very good at stopping drunk drivers and searching cars. (The rumor is that one of our local guys has more drunk driving arrests than any other officer in the state). Plus, it looks like the city is going to increase their drive-throughs in the parking lot and area around the park. As a local resident, I think this is great!

I like to unwind after work. I like to get out on the course and enjoy a cold one as much as the next guy. I am asking everyone to be discreet and careful. A beer or two in a koozie in you bag is one thing. Carrying a twelve pack is another. If you're on our course, wait until you get to the third of fourth hole before you open anything.

I don't think this issue is unique to Norwalk. I'm pretty sure that, since most courses on on public property, in parks and other common areas, the issue of open containers is a problem in most places. I believe that we can minimize any conflicts by being discreet.

One other thing...please put your empties in the trash cans or carry them out with you...Thanks!
Makes it's own sauce when you add water...
mattmelcher

Postby Single L » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:48 pm

Is the park/course alcohol free, like in Iowa City? Because if it isn't they should not be allowed to arrest you or give you a ticket for drinking in the park unless you are publicly intoxicated.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby irban » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:08 pm

porkchop wrote:Is the park/course alcohol free, like in Iowa City? Because if it isn't they should not be allowed to arrest you or give you a ticket for drinking in the park unless you are publicly intoxicated.

Des Moines city parks are alchohol free, though we don't usually have an issue with it. I don't know about Norwalk, but it sounds like Matt is implying that. Walnut, which is Army Corps, and Big Creek which is a state park, allow alchohol.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Abe Froman » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:44 pm

shit, in C.R. we can drink all the fukin beer you want @ the course. i excersise that right every time i play.
Abe Froman

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:48 pm

as the wise men from nwa say, puck the police puck the police puck em
frogawitdafizzle

Postby KePP » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:03 am

Puck vandalizers and punks more.
KePP

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:14 am

true, but beer is still good
frogawitdafizzle

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:17 am

And I'm not giving into illegal searches and seizures for disc golf.
frogawitdafizzle

Postby puppetmaster » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:13 am

Puck vandalizers

This is what this hole thing is about people. Untill we can get a grip on the vandal's, the police are doing there job and they have to be fair about it. So if its a kid kicking down a sign or a DGer enjoying a beer, both are not allowed. I work for the city and I would like to tell you how many times I show up with a brew or two (in my bag) but that would be illegal :?

We are going up to city councle again in two weeks because for some reason thay wanted time to think about the vandals (maybe it was there grandkids, and they wanted time to warn them) so Im sure that the police are going to be doing there job very seriously for the next couple of weeks so the cheif can tell them that they are NOW doing there job.

Lets just hope that they stop the vandals or better yet catch them, and the hole thing will become a thing of the past. We have noticed that since we have installed the baskets that the kids dont stay very long, they are seeing that there are adults around and for some reason they cant do what ever they want to do.

And Im sure that the police arnt going to be doing serches of peolpes cars but DONT set in your car drinking a beer while they are driving by, or walking around with a 12 pack.

and for you people that dont like to be notice by the boys in blue. The best way to come into Windflower park and back out is to come in from SW9th, about 4 1/2 miles south of county line, turn right on G14 (there is a sign pointring to Norwalk) and the park is on your right. Your only drive about 1 mile in city limits and most of it is a golf course or farm land so the police are not out that way to much.
BUT in the same breath, I also need to say please dont show up drunk. Me, my kids and my wife were hite by a drunk years ago (the wife went across 4 lane of traffic on her hands a knees) because of a drunk, and that is something that I would call the cops in a half of a second, if I witness a drunk driver pulling up to the park.

Lets just do what we all do best; throw some disc (well maybe not best Jason), talk are shit with are friends and have a great time of it.
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
puppetmaster

Postby mattmelcher » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:44 am

The whole point of my post is to inform you all of the situation. Now that you have that information you can choose what you do from there. At least you'll know before hand. I know when we watched what happened we all felt bad so we decided to let you folks know. It's not about cops, or beer, or searches or anything like that. We just want you to know whats going on so you can make the best decision for you.
Makes it's own sauce when you add water...
mattmelcher

Postby ghstinshll » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:57 am

:shock: Wow...

Documenting what courses int he area allow, and what ones don't, would be a VERY good idea for Matt to edit in his first Post or put in a new thread called "drinking" or something like that... That way people can always reference point from now on.
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby grodney » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:58 am

Des Moines city parks are alchohol free, though we don't usually have an issue with it. I don't know about Norwalk, but it sounds like Matt is implying that. Walnut, which is Army Corps, and Big Creek which is a state park, allow alchohol.

When I lived in DSM 6 years ago, it was allegedly legal to have beer at Waterworks as well. I got stopped by bicycle cops once as I was crossing the bridge and they told me it was illegal. I put my beer back in my car. Next day I called Waterworks and asked and they said it was legal. I said "So the cops that made me get rid of mine were wrong?". They answered: "Yes". So I have no idea the real story there.

Also, as I recall, Southwoods (all of WDM) allows beer in cans, no bottles. At least 6 years ago. Things can change, of course.
grodney

Postby ghstinshll » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:11 am

I'm going to try to build a list of "official policies w/ the DSM, WDSM, Corps, etc, to post & make a chart of where it's allowed, etc... That way if ANYONE catches flack @ WW or wherever, they can always get the officer's name, loo up the policy on this site, and then call the polica office to dispute, etc...
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby actifed » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:50 pm

I don't have a problem with drinking in the parks (or other, greener, activities...but that's another discussion). What I have a problem with is throwing your shit all over the place. Beercans, beer boxes, wrappers, gatorade....it's terrible. I'd be in favor of the cops coming through Grandview, Waterworks, and Ewing just to bust all the litterbugs. The trash and vandalism situation at Ewing in particular is really troubling. I'd love to encourage some of you to use violence to curtail this problem, but that wouldn't be responsible.

I know %99 of you reading this aren't responsible for the vandalism and litter. But for the newer folks around here, please be aware that we've lost courses for issues like this. In fact disc golfers help to reduce these problems in general, but it's too easy to scapegoat us. All I'm saying is try to be responsible and spread the word that this crap can't keep going on without repercussions. Otherwise I can easily see one of our courses (Ewing specifically) going the way of Margo Frankel. All it would take is one Lilac enthusiast with too much free time.
actifed

Postby 10up » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:08 pm

Amen,

and just fyi, Barring Rodney's unconfirmable run-in with the cops, I just have a hard time believing they are spending all that much time out at the courses trying to "bust the golfers" unless it's those specific golfers fault. I can recall more than several times I've drank a beer walking down the fairway with a cop in the parking lot and not having a problem. Because I'm minding my own business, shooting a round, enjoying the park, just like anybody that would be grilling at one of the various locations around the park with a cooler. They don't mess with those people.

However, if I'm running around throwing shit everywhere, yelling, whatever it takes to just be deemed a general nuisance then I can see why it would happen. I don't think I'm the only one that can say that there are more than a few disc golfers, people I may (or may not) like as a person, but if they get busted for being an idiot, well, they are idiots.
10up

Next

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club