IowaDG Course Directory - Google

Let us know what you want to see on the forum, or on the main website.

IowaDG Course Directory - Google

Postby KePP » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:36 am

Here is one nights worth of work: 3 QC Courses

I had started this project last year but ran into programming problems. Google just came out with this My Maps thing that makes the whole process way easier, although right now the interface has very limited options along with some bugs. I'm expecting it will improve quickly since its Google.

I am looking for feedback, suggestions, etc. You'll notice that on Eastern I plotted each hole. I think having every hole makes everything take a lot longer to load, making the map klunky to use. Adding every hole is not only a graphical overload but a time killer too. But at the same time, it is pretty friggin cool! That technology really blows my mind that you can grab a zoomed in satellite image from anywhere you want and add drawings and pictures and links and get directions, and publish it available to anybody within an instant. Really thats amazing - explain that to someone from 1930 (even 1970).

To get back on track... I'm down for adding every Iowa course to this map. I'm hesitant to jump the gun because I know Google has a lot of development to do with this yet, and I'd also like to hear peoples ideas to prevent having to re-do each listing. Let me know how the map works for you (slower than normal?) and how it can be better. Thanks,

-Wes
Last edited by KePP on Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KePP

Postby Athrawn17 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:46 am

How about instead we concentrate efforts on this site here?

http://playdg.com/index.php
Athrawn17

Postby Peil » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:59 pm

Athrawn17 wrote:How about instead we concentrate efforts on this site here?

There's already a topic about how the operators of that site make it almost impossible for people to submit courses.
Peil

Postby Athrawn17 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:32 pm

Ah, didn't know about that. Sorry.
Athrawn17

Postby KePP » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:52 pm

RP wrote:
Athrawn17 wrote:How about instead we concentrate efforts on this site here?

There's already a topic about how the operators of that site make it almost impossible for people to submit courses.

Plus this will be an interactive map directory for the entire state, whereas playdg would only be a directory for submitted courses. Also its a duplication of efforts since we already have photo walkthroughs at www.quadcitydiscgolf.com and www.rivercitiesrumble.com . Adding a course to Google Maps only takes about 10 minutes whereas taking photos and writing descriptions takes 5-10 hours for a course.

But I still like your suggestion - I'm considering doing the QC courses once the Google Maps directory is done.
KePP

Postby KePP » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:39 pm

PROGRESS UPDATE 4/18/07

I just emailed the Krasinski's, the guys who created the Google Map for the Chicago area. Topic Here. Since they added the QCA courses, I asked if we could link from our website to their map with it already panned on the QCA. This would serve as a temporary solution until Google works out the kinks with its new My Maps feature. If not, I will add the rest of the QC courses to the Map that is already in place. Any more effort I think will be wasted time.

Google has received a lot of feedback in the last week on their new feature, and published a response a couple days ago. On 4/16/07, Maps Guide Brian <maps-gui...@google.com> wrote: I wanted to let all of you know that I've taken note of all of your suggestions and comments. I'll make sure to pass this information on to the rest of the team so that we can continue to make improvements to My Maps. It's awesome to hear how interested everyone is. We're working hard to make improvements to this feature, and your feedback is extremely important. Thanks, Maps Guide Brian

So until Google makes more progress, I will be creating a spreadsheet with every courses info (location, # holes, PDGA link, Forum link, description, etc) so that when it comes time to add all the courses a simple mail merge will ease the process.

Right now the two biggest restrictions on Google's end is that they only allow 50 markers (courses) per page, and they don't allow the links to open in a separate window. As it is now, once you left-click on a link and then hit Back on your browser, you have to wait for the map to re-load, then manually re-pan it and re-zoom it.
KePP

Postby KePP » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:42 pm

KePP wrote:I just emailed the Krasinski's, the guys who created the Google Map for the Chicago area. Topic Here. Since they added the QCA courses, I asked if we could link from our website to their map with it already panned on the QCA. This would serve as a temporary solution until Google works out the kinks with its new My Maps feature.

http://www.amctrl.com/cgi-bin/DiscGolfPage.cgi?id=56
KePP

Postby KePP » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:26 am

Google Maps - IowaDG

Currently includes the dozen QCA courses: Camden, Devil's Glen, Eastern Ave, Folletts, Lake Malone, Longview, Middle, Millcreek, Prospect, Richmond Hill, Schultz, Westbrook

I plan on getting some Des Moines courses added today, then after that I'll connect back along I-80 including IC/CR.
KePP

Postby KePP » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:07 pm

I made some serious progress today (now I'm zombified).

13 QCA Courses and 25 Des Moines courses have been added! Including West Lake and Windflower.

The map takes a minute to load all the markers, please be patient. It would be really helpful if everyone could inspect a few of their local courses to see if the marker is in the right spot (additional links would be nice, too). Some of the directions were tough to follow on the map. Also note that the marker placement is not at the first tee and often not at the parking lot. This is because Google Maps doesn't recognize a lot of the side roads and entrances and stuff - so in order for the directions to work correctly, the marker needs to be near the road.

Off the top of my head, some questionable markers were Waukee, Nevada, Prairie City, and Roberts Creek. Big Creek is marked in a funky spot for the reason listed above. Thanks ahead of time for any help,

Wes
KePP

Postby mattmelcher » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:59 pm

Wes,

GREAT JOB! Of course I checked out Windflower and you've got the course map and a link to my blog with the pictures of the course. I'm impressed you thought of adding those things.

I'll be updating the blog after the trees leaf out and we get signs, and grass to grow. I'll let you know if you need to update the link. I may have some free time here in a month and I was considering photographing all the local courses. I'll let you know if I'm actually able to do that.

Again, GREAT JOB!

Matt
Makes it's own sauce when you add water...
mattmelcher

Postby irban » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:07 pm

Mighty good!
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby KePP » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:16 am

mattmelcher wrote:GREAT JOB! Of course I checked out Windflower and you've got the course map and a link to my blog with the pictures of the course. I'm impressed you thought of adding those things.

Thanks for having such a great resource to link to. Great Job to you too ;) And thanks for all the hard work on this course - it was a fun one to read about!
KePP

Postby ghstinshll » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:31 am

OMFG, you guys... awesome!!!!!
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby KePP » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:58 pm

KePP wrote:Right now the two biggest restrictions on Google's end is that they only allow 50 markers (courses) per page,

We get to add 12 more courses then its at 50. I tested going over 50 and it does indeed create a second page. Worse yet, it randomly divides which ones go on each page (so different sections of the state can't be divided to their own pages). In the picture below it shows how Google put markers 48-51 on the second page while markers 52, 53, and 54 were randomly tossed back onto the first page.

So the moral of the story is that we get to add 12 more courses to the map. I looked at previous posts from Tanner and Clue and others about the top 10 courses and used that as a guide in deciding which ones to add. I also want to get IC/CR added, so here is the list I'm planning on doing. Once the final 12 get added I'll be done until Google makes some improvements. Please weigh in with your opinions if you have any.

Peninsula Park DGC (already added)
Turkey Creek
Sugar Bottom Rec. Area
Shaver Park
Legion Park
Jones Park
College Community Schools DGC - is this course worth adding?
J&B Rolling Hills in Lamoni
Graceland U. in Lamoni
Indian Hills CC in Ottumwa
Wildwood Park in Ottumwa
Edmundson Park in Oskaloosa

Potential Subs:
Hickory Hills - wouldn't mind getting this one on there since a lot of people go to that tournament and its coming up.
Waterloo Exchange
Treasure Cove in Council Bluffs
Rand Park in Keokuk
KePP

Postby ghstinshll » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:19 pm

I say go through the forums & add each course in... But did you say you'll do that once they improve the application? If so, then cool enough... (-:
##39027
ghstinshll

Next

Return to Suggestions