You got questions? Someone probably has the answer

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Re: You got questions? Someone probably has the answer

Postby 10up » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:33 pm

get on the craigslists around the agricultural areas. I'll bet somebody has old round metal troughs for cheap. I buy them all the time here.
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby grodney » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:18 pm

irban wrote:Where can I get a cheap large pot, like turkey frying pots you guys use for brewing? I'm going to do some home anodizing, and need a large container to boil water in, to dip my part in to seal the dye. I'm only going to do this a few times, so don't want to spend a lot on a nice one. Even beaten and used is fine. I don't want to borrow one; I'm not using this for any of the caustic parts of the process, but just in case, I'd hate to ruin it.

edit: Probable a big metal bucket with flat bottom would be better anyway. Maybe I'll try that.

Turkey frying pot at Dick's sporting goods or similar for under $50?
grodney

Postby irban » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:36 am

10up wrote:get on the craigslists around the agricultural areas. I'll bet somebody has old round metal troughs for cheap. I buy them all the time here.

Good idea. Rodney, I was hoping to keep it under $20 if possible. Now the problem will be to have enough heat to get that much water boiling.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby grodney » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:25 am

I swear I saw a propane burner and kettle at Dick's once for like $30 or $40 total, but they're not that cheap when I look on their website. It's been a couple years ago, and maybe it was a sale or something, but you might look around for such things.

When I started brewing I would set my kettle across two burners on HIGH. I quickly switched to the propane burner and the garage/driveway.

Edit: I see walmart.com has full kits for $58, and "fish fryer" kits (shallower kettle) for $39 - don't know if it would work for what you're doing. Those both include propane burner. Of course they're both over your budget.
grodney

Postby irban » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:36 am

grodney wrote:When I started brewing I would set my kettle across two burners on HIGH. I quickly switched to the propane burner and the garage/driveway.

Yes, might have to bite the bullet and get the burner too, would make things easier. I only need it for one step in the process though, so hate to overdo it. Maybe I can find one of these on Craigslist. Thanks to you both.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Discgo » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:33 am

Campfire for the cheap burner. Not sure about the pot dilemma.
Chain-outs since last ace - 1
Discgo

Postby tufluk » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:48 am

Yard/Estate sale.
tufluk

Postby irban » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:15 am

FYI: Found a horking 32 quart aluminum tamale steamer at target for $22.00. Fits the big piece I want to do just barely with some flexing. Hopefully I can get it to boil on my stove. We'll see how this goes.
~~~- ¥
irban

Postby IHearChains » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:35 am

Not sure how much weight your stove is supposed to handle but it would be a good idea to check into it maybe! Even just the liquid alone could be an issue...remember, a pint's a pound the world around.
IHearChains

Postby irban » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:24 pm

Any of my Des Moines area welding buddies have a few 1/16" diameter stainless steel TIG rod to sell me? I can buy some online or at local welding supply, but they come by the pound, so it is more than I need.

FYI, my tamale pot worked great for boiling, heated up in about 45 minutes on my electric stove. Unfortunately the dye did not come out as I'd hoped, so I ended up leaving it plain anodized anyway.
~~~- ¥
irban

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:09 am

you going Walter White on us there Frizbee?
GDL17921

Postby irban » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:52 am

Then I'd be asking for volumetric flasks...

...and boliing flasks...

" Did you learn nothing from my chemistry class?" :shock:
~~~- ¥
irban

Previous

Return to Stuff