What's Bugging Clue

Post questions and comments to Justin McLuen the Iowa State Coordinator

Moderator: Clue

Re: What's Bugging Clue

Postby Clue » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:58 am

I think Matt is a huge asset to the disc golf community and I wish him well in whatever he does.
Clue

Postby DLCdisc » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:39 am

Clue wrote:I think Matt is a huge asset to the disc golf community and I wish him well in whatever he does.

Ditto
DLCdisc

Postby Discgo » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:24 pm

schlabach wrote:
DLCdisc wrote:
tufluk wrote:My thinking is: You did a great job of being the presenting sponsor for the Rumble. Your graphic design on the player booklets was over the moon. Chase does such a good job running tourneys in this area. Why mess with that formula? I think it's harder than it looks.

Other than the fact that we have a ton of events to choose from, I would not discourage someone who wants to "Run" an event. Along with what the other guy said, Chase does a great job with his events, so my recommendation would be to help him or run a pool to get a feel for it. If it weren't for the assistance of some experienced TD's playing in my first event, it could have been a disaster and probably would not have become what it is today. I think you biggest challenge will be finding a good date to do it. Good luck either way man.

Gene, I would love to sponsor the Rumble every year but unfortunately I don't have that kind of cash. I still plan on being involved with the players book and several other things for the Rumble.

I understand there is already a ton of tournaments in Iowa and Iron Lion already does a great job in the area. I by no means want to take anything away from from them. I will make sure that my dates won't conflict with anything they are running. If anything my tournament should help their business because I plan to use them to vendor. They have told me several times that just vending an event is the ideal situation for them.

I offered to be the TD for a couple Iron Lion tournaments last year but my offer was turned down. I want to become more involved in the sport other than just being a player. I want to gain tournament directing experience. Everyone says its harder than it looks and I believe them. But how will I know for sure if don't run one for myself?

Pick a date and I will be there. Get the girls involved and I will bring a couple car loads over.
Chain-outs since last ace - 1
Discgo

Postby schlabach » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:52 pm

I appreciate the support from everyone. Looks like I am going to follow through on this.
schlabach

Postby Hamer » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:44 pm

^ That is good to hear Matt.

Let me know if you have any questions about running a tournament that you believe that I could answer.
You can only be offended if you want to be.
Hamer

Postby ghstinshll » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:27 am

Matt - Im not the best guy to make suggestions about TD'ing, but maybe pick a glow, dubs, league, or unique/fun format to get more experience on your own. That might be a way to keep it low key to gain experience, then "step yo game up" in a couple years once that's under the belt?
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby schlabach » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:39 pm

ghstinshll wrote:Matt - Im not the best guy to make suggestions about TD'ing, but maybe pick a glow, dubs, league, or unique/fun format to get more experience on your own. That might be a way to keep it low key to gain experience, then "step yo game up" in a couple years once that's under the belt?

I am not the patient type. I'm not going to wait a couple years before running a tournament. If I want to do something, I want to do it now. I am going to run a league this year (possibly two) and some unsanctioned events to raise money to put in another course in the area. I think that should make me well prepared for my tournament in the fall.
schlabach

Postby tufluk » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:46 pm

Old bull, young bull.
tufluk

Postby Carter45145 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:09 am

schlabach wrote:
ghstinshll wrote:Matt - Im not the best guy to make suggestions about TD'ing, but maybe pick a glow, dubs, league, or unique/fun format to get more experience on your own. That might be a way to keep it low key to gain experience, then "step yo game up" in a couple years once that's under the belt?

I am not the patient type. I'm not going to wait a couple years before running a tournament. If I want to do something, I want to do it now. I am going to run a league this year (possibly two) and some unsanctioned events to raise money to put in another course in the area. I think that should make me well prepared for my tournament in the fall.

RESPECT my friend...
Can't criticize our smile...
Carter45145

Previous

Return to Ask the State Coordinator