2014 TPC Amana Sat 3/29

All Tournaments held in the state of Iowa or by Iowa affilitated clubs.

Re: 2014 TPC Amana Sat 3/29

Postby Callahan » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:29 pm

Advanced playing longs both rounds?
We bad, we ugly, WEBUTLY!!
Callahan

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:15 pm

I hope so.....
frogawitdafizzle

Postby Captain » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:32 am

Callahan wrote:Advanced playing longs both rounds?

No. One round from each.

frogawitdafizzle wrote:I hope so.....

Move up.
Captain

Postby Discgo » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:34 am

Captain wrote:
Callahan wrote:Advanced playing longs both rounds?

No. One round from each.

frogawitdafizzle wrote:I hope so.....

Move up.

Great idea. Hope to make it again this year.
Chain-outs since last ace - 1
Discgo

Postby jjpitt29 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:34 am

Captain wrote:I'm toying with a new idea for this year's event. I love the contours of the ground near the sand traps, but with the traps OB, it becomes harder to be aggressive.

Proposed new rule : Discs that land in the bunker will be placed on the opposite side of bunker and then played from outside the bunker -- no penalty. When a disc lands in the bunker, a straight line will be drawn from the pole of the basket, through the center of the disc, to the other side of the bunker. Disc is placed on the edge of the bunker (within 1 meter from the rim) and played with no penalty.

This drawing illustrates the rule.

I really doubt I'll be able to make it, but I love this idea. I think these are the types of things we can do to bring more challenge into the game without having overly punitive penalties. (similar to the hazzard things they did at usdgc this year).

People are dumb! I teach high school, I know this all too well. However you can defeat them! I think with some good signage on the tee's and maybe in the bunkers themselves this could work.

Great idea!

P.S. Clue - Those would have to be some big bunkers!
jjpitt29

Postby Captain » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:01 pm

Flyer posted on first page.

Make sure to note that if you PAY a week ahead of time, you get $10 off.

Thanks for making this the coolest event of my year!
Captain

Postby StingHP » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:50 pm

Captain wrote:Flyer posted on first page.

Make sure to note that if you PAY a week ahead of time, you get $10 off.

Thanks for making this the coolest event of my year!

Is the green fee included like last years?
StingHP

Postby AO » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:54 pm

Yes. It's on the flyer. $32.00
AO

Postby 3x state champ runner up » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:36 pm

jjpitt29 wrote:
Captain wrote:I'm toying with a new idea for this year's event. I love the contours of the ground near the sand traps, but with the traps OB, it becomes harder to be aggressive.

Proposed new rule : Discs that land in the bunker will be placed on the opposite side of bunker and then played from outside the bunker -- no penalty. When a disc lands in the bunker, a straight line will be drawn from the pole of the basket, through the center of the disc, to the other side of the bunker. Disc is placed on the edge of the bunker (within 1 meter from the rim) and played with no penalty.

This drawing illustrates the rule.

I really doubt I'll be able to make it, but I love this idea. I think these are the types of things we can do to bring more challenge into the game without having overly punitive penalties. (similar to the hazzard things they did at usdgc this year).

People are dumb! I teach high school, I know this all too well. However you can defeat them! I think with some good signage on the tee's and maybe in the bunkers themselves this could work.

Great idea!

the more i think about this stibs it's a pretty sound idea. you're penalized distance, not strokes......

however, that would favor better putters in cases of sand near the pin, and only negate a bad drive if one was in the middle of the fairway. so i stick with my inital oppinion that you keep it how it's been, land in the bunker OB play from within a meter of the entry point.

if this change is proposed due to people saying they don't like laying up or not able to be aggressive, i say to you.... run at it (or don't) and accept the outcome. practice putting all winter and your odds will improve so you won't hate yourself for making the right decision.
Adding up scores after league... Greco-"Kerri, you shot 11 up" Kerri- "oh a 65 isn't bad" Greco-"that was the back nine"
3x state champ runner up

Postby JaceL54008 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:02 am

Any kind of player packs? :?:
JaceL54008

Postby AO » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:51 am

JaceL54008 wrote:Any kind of player packs? :?:

Nope but you can have a ton of fun, drink and ride in carts.
AO

Postby jjpitt29 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:20 pm

3x state champ runner up wrote:
jjpitt29 wrote:

Great idea!

the more i think about this stibs it's a pretty sound idea. you're penalized distance, not strokes......

however, that would favor better putters in cases of sand near the pin, and only negate a bad drive if one was in the middle of the fairway. so i stick with my inital oppinion that you keep it how it's been, land in the bunker OB play from within a meter of the entry point.

if this change is proposed due to people saying they don't like laying up or not able to be aggressive, i say to you.... run at it (or don't) and accept the outcome. practice putting all winter and your odds will improve so you won't hate yourself for making the right decision.

You could easily designate certain bunkers as OB. Although that might cause some confusion. But are there really that many in the fairway? I haven't played there so I'm not sure. When I've played on golf courses before, most of the bunkers are near the greens.

Why not give a benefit to better putters? Lets say the bunker is 20 feet from the basket and 20 feet wide. If it's ob, Player A (bad putter) and Player B (Good putter) both end up with a very short makeable putt. Lets say they both can hit the 17 footer and get a 3. If it's played like stibs wants it. Player A misses the putt and gets a 3 (possible 4 on a bad miss since we are talking a 40 foot initial putt). Player B makes the putt and gets a 2. Better putter gets a stroke. That to me sounds like a better way to play then to arbitrarily give each one an OB stroke and a relatively easy putt.

Like I said before. I think more ideas like this need to be experimented with to increase the challenge of disc golf.
jjpitt29

Postby 3x state champ runner up » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:37 pm

3x state champ runner up wrote:
jjpitt29 wrote:

You could easily designate certain bunkers as OB. Although that might cause some confusion. But are there really that many in the fairway? I haven't played there so I'm not sure. When I've played on golf courses before, most of the bunkers are near the greens.

Why not give a benefit to better putters? Lets say the bunker is 20 feet from the basket and 20 feet wide. If it's ob, Player A (bad putter) and Player B (Good putter) both end up with a very short makeable putt. Lets say they both can hit the 17 footer and get a 3. If it's played like stibs wants it. Player A misses the putt and gets a 3 (possible 4 on a bad miss since we are talking a 40 foot initial putt). Player B makes the putt and gets a 2. Better putter gets a stroke. That to me sounds like a better way to play then to arbitrarily give each one an OB stroke and a relatively easy putt.

Like I said before. I think more ideas like this need to be experimented with to increase the challenge of disc golf.

There are bunkers all ove the place, one being in the middle was an example, and off to side not smack in the middle. those can and do come into play. i don't think it's the scoring stibs is worried about. it's the mindset of the player of "oh there's ob right there i better lay up" that he's looking to avoid. i think we're saying the same thing only i want the stroke added, other wise there should be no ob and if you throw it there you play from there, bushwhacker rules!
Adding up scores after league... Greco-"Kerri, you shot 11 up" Kerri- "oh a 65 isn't bad" Greco-"that was the back nine"
3x state champ runner up

Postby z-man » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:45 pm

I'll be making the trip this year...heard great things
If anyone wants to share gas I'll be driving from DSM
I want to get a vending machine with fun sized candy bars...and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad, but it will be too late.
-Mitch Hedberg
~namaste~
z-man

Postby irban » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:58 pm

z-man wrote:I'll be making the trip this year...heard great things
If anyone wants to share gas I'll be driving from DSM

I may be unless I puss out again.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

PreviousNext

Return to Iowa Tournaments