Vibram Disc Golf

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Vibram Disc Golf

Postby VibramDiscGolf » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:36 pm

Hi Everyone, Steve Dodge here from Vibram DG. I'm starting this thread with three goals and you all may indulge as you see fit.

1. Build interest in and answer questions about Vibram Disc Golf (just to be up front about this!)
2. Be involved in some frank discussions about growing the sport - pro side, grass roots, schools, events - what, how, and why
3. Let people know about upcoming Vibram DG products, events, and promotions.

---------------------

For example, I would start by saying: Run a Vibram Birdie Bash (VBB)!

The VBB is a fun day of disc golf. For $30, each player gets two Vibram discs, a shirt, towel and coaster mini. There are also tons of card prizes, CTPs, and several awards. We then play two rounds of Birdie Bash where we only count Birdies or better. On a par 3, you get two throws. On a par 4, you get three throws. Birdies are worth two points, Aces/Eagles are worth five points, and hitting metal is worth one point. The VBB is great for both tournament players and beginners as it is competitive but has a low key, fun attitude. Tons of prizes that everyone has a chance to win. Come out and see how fun "organized" disc golf can be.

The VBB is also a great way to be a Tournament Director (TD). If you have TDed an event, you will love how easy we make it. If this is your first time TDing, the VBB’s Tournament-In-A-Box approach will make it very easy.

For more info: http://www.birdiebash.com/
---------------------

VibramDiscGolf.com
BirdieBash.com
MapleHillOpen.com
VibramDiscGolf

Re: Vibram Disc Golf

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:25 pm

I think there is one of those events scheduled already for the Des Moines area on May 31st at Grandview? Jlabresh?
GDL17921

Postby Clue » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:21 am

VibramDiscGolf wrote:1. Build interest in and answer questions about Vibram Disc Golf (just to be up front about this!)
2. Be involved in some frank discussions about growing the sport - pro side, grass roots, schools, events - what, how, and why
3. Let people know about upcoming Vibram DG products, events, and promotions.

Hey Steve, I hope you know I'm definitely a fan of your vision for the sport and appreciate everything you've done.

1. As an Innova sponsored player it's hard for me to go too crazy about this subject, but I think you guys certainly offer a unique alternative to the traditional plastics.

2. I've been preaching one word on the pro side...consolidation. It has to happen with divisions and total tournaments. A short term solution would be *if* pros are going to continue to play no money added tournaments (c tiers) then there should not be protected divisions. But on a much larger scale I think certain regions (i.e. a 4-state region) should be limited to one tournament/weekend that offers pro divisions. Force people to travel or don't play. This creates a trickle down effect that solves other problems. One is that lower rated pros feel like they get more value or have more of a shot at cashing in 100 player fields vs 10 player fields where 2-3 guys might be 1000 rated. The second thing that might happen is that these *tweener* players who should actually be playing Adv likely would choose to play Adv at a local C tier vs travelling out of state. The other thing this does is frees up many pro players who would likely play nearly every single weekend to pursue more grass roots efforts on the weekends they choose not to travel out of state. I think one of the biggest problems we have is that our *leaders* are simply playing too much. I know this because I'm one of them and everyone I'm playing against fall into this category as well! Grass roots isn't something that necessarily needs to be organized from the top. I have a million ideas and so do many people I've talked to locally. It's just a matter of getting people out there to do it.

3. As Jay stated above, there is a guy interested in doing that and I need to go answer a message from him...
Clue

Postby Swisher Streets » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:03 am

GDL17921 wrote:I think there is one of those events scheduled already for the Des Moines area on May 31st at Grandview? Jlabresh?

There are currently 3 scheduled for Iowa all in May:

Forest City 5/3/14
Checkin Time: 8:00 AM
Player's Meeting: 9:45 AM

McKinley Park - Creston IA 5/24/14
Checkin Time: 9:00 AM
Player's Meeting: 10:00 AM

Grandview 5/31/14
Check in Time: 11:00 AM
Player's Meeting: 12:30 PM
Lunch is available for $5 during registration.
Swisher Streets

Postby VibramDiscGolf » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:44 am

Clue wrote:1. As an Innova sponsored player it's hard for me to go too crazy about this subject, but I think you guys certainly offer a unique alternative to the traditional plastics.

2. I've been preaching one word on the pro side...consolidation. It has to happen with divisions and total tournaments. A short term solution would be *if* pros are going to continue to play no money added tournaments (c tiers) then there should not be protected divisions. But on a much larger scale I think certain regions (i.e. a 4-state region) should be limited to one tournament/weekend that offers pro divisions. Force people to travel or don't play. This creates a trickle down effect that solves other problems. One is that lower rated pros feel like they get more value or have more of a shot at cashing in 100 player fields vs 10 player fields where 2-3 guys might be 1000 rated. The second thing that might happen is that these *tweener* players who should actually be playing Adv likely would choose to play Adv at a local C tier vs travelling out of state. The other thing this does is frees up many pro players who would likely play nearly every single weekend to pursue more grass roots efforts on the weekends they choose not to travel out of state. I think one of the biggest problems we have is that our *leaders* are simply playing too much. I know this because I'm one of them and everyone I'm playing against fall into this category as well! Grass roots isn't something that necessarily needs to be organized from the top. I have a million ideas and so do many people I've talked to locally. It's just a matter of getting people out there to do it.

1. Thanks for the kind words. As Harold said to me a decade ago, as the tide rises, all the boats go up.

2. I have always been a proponent of working together (perhaps a slightly different spin on consolidation) but I don't like the idea of mandating to events. For example, with the Birdie Bash, if you want to hold an event at a course next door to one that is already scheduled on that day, more power to you. There may be a quasi-rivalry building up there, but both TDs will work harder to get more players out to their event, improving the situation for everyone. Regarding Pros dropping down to play a regional B or C-Tier and "take the easy money" instead of playing in a bigger event that is far away, it sounds to me like the bigger event isn't really that much bigger. Also, the tour isn't very well organized geographically, so the bigger event - in our current tour format - has to be able to succeed and draw players away as a stand alone event, which is very tough to do. It seems that better coordination of the bigger events from a national level would solve this "problem" better than dictating to regional TDs what divisions they can offer.

But then again, it is early in the day and I have not had my Coke yet.
VibramDiscGolf

Postby 10up » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:22 pm

I'm pretty sure the traveling problem would be solved with cheaper fuel and faster, more efficient cars/trains/planes etc.

oh sorry wrong thread.
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby VibramDiscGolf » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:53 pm

10up wrote:I'm pretty sure the traveling problem would be solved with cheaper fuel and faster, more efficient cars/trains/planes etc.

oh sorry wrong thread.

Genuine chuckle. I've submitted this idea to Exxon/Mobil. Fingers crossed. Hope hope.
VibramDiscGolf

Return to Stuff