The Only Other "Real" Hobby

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Re: The Only Other "Real" Hobby

Postby AO » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:00 am

AO

Postby Single L » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:04 am

Its that time of the year for the winter seasonal brews. I picked some up over the weekend ......

• Boulevard Nutcracker - quintessential winter pale ale. Roasty caramel and toffee flavors with a nice spicy hop presence. Best holiday offering for the money ($6.99 a sixer)
  • Widmer Bros Brrr - Just like the Nutcracker is winter pale ale. It doesn't seem to have as much malt character going on, but has a touch more hops. BA has this rated higher than Nutcracker, which I don't agree with.
  • Point St. Benedict's Winter Ale - hands down Points best offering. They are not a real strong craft brewery, but this one is delightful. Lots of subtle spice notes going with some good malt and mild hop character. If you're ass squeaks when you walk, this winter seasonal is perfect for you at $5.99 a sixer. Second best offering for the money.
  • New Belgium Frambozen Raspberry Brown Ale - I'm not a big sour beer fan, but this one is a pretty interesting winter offering that I enjoyed. I would actually enjoy it more if they would use a funky yeast rather than just their house strain. The raspberries give some tart and sour notes that pair well with the brown base beer, but it begs to be fully soured with some Brett. Yes AO I'm saying I would prefer more sour. The world must be ending.

I have a bunch of others on hand that I have yet to get to and some others that I will be on the look out for over the holiday season.

Cheers and Happy Holiday's!!
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby AO » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:23 pm

LOL! That's cause sours are fantastic. Although I am following the trend right now and drinking bourbon barrel aged brews and hefty stouts.
AO

Postby AO » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:20 pm

http://www.corridorbusiness.com/news/br ... ng-center/

Tonight! Looks interesting. Watching the big game. Hopefully not too packed
AO

Postby StingHP » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:42 am

Single L wrote:Its that time of the year for the winter seasonal brews. I picked some up over the weekend ......

[list][*]Boulevard Nutcracker - quintessential winter pale ale. Roasty caramel and toffee flavors with a nice spicy hop presence. Best holiday offering for the money ($6.99 a sixer)
[*]Point St. Benedict's Winter Ale - hands down Points best offering. They are not a real strong craft brewery, but this one is delightful. Lots of subtle spice notes going with some good malt and mild hop character. If you're ass squeaks when you walk, this winter seasonal is perfect for you at $5.99 a sixer. Second best offering for the money.

I have a bunch of others on hand that I have yet to get to and some others that I will be on the look out for over the holiday season.

Cheers and Happy Holiday's!!

Last Tuesday I picked up the Boulevard and Points based on your recommendation. Along with Bell's Cherry Stout (thanks to Butcher!) at Cyclone Liquors. Wow! I didn't realize what a gem that place was for their selection. Also, a few days before I picked up the Blue Moon Rounder Belgian-Style Pale [I am a fan of hoegaarden (sp?)]and the Beckenridge Oatmeal Stout. I will say that I like the Boulevard more than the Points and will be picking up another 6 pack or two.

I will say thank you to you, Gary, and your bw partner (name escapes me) for giving out tasty beers this year. It is nice to have good recommendations for beers to have over the course of a night and relax. I am not to the point of being able to pick out specific notes, but that will change as my palate opens.
StingHP

Postby AO » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:12 pm

Went to a Goose Island Bourbon County tasting/release on Saturday. Got to try Cherry rye, vanilla, barley wine and coffee. I was rather annoyed though...felt like I was in a disc golf course review atmosphere beer version. I also realized how many people van chase. These guys plan their entire day during releases and follow the scheduled distributing route. FUKIN LAME!
Last edited by AO on Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AO

Postby KVN » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:27 pm

i've been chasin Vanhouzen ( @new bo city market) rumplestiltskin sacrafish and others lately. local brews made in iowa
KVN

Postby iowapat » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:42 am

AO wrote:Went to a Goose Island Bourbon County tasting/release on Saturday. Got to try Cherry rye, vanilla, barley wine and coffee. I was rather annoyed though...felt like I was in a disc golf course review atmosphere beer version. I also realized how many people van chase. These guys plan their entire day during releases and follow the scheduled distributing route. FUKIN LAME!

The van chasers/hoarders are really shitty...that's why I don't even try that anymore. As far as TG goes, Nick will let you know where his next stop is if you ask nicely. Hell, it's pretty easy to sweet talk Nicole into setting something aside for ya...or she'll open up early during the week. Elizabeth is almost always open and ready to go by 1130 on the weekends...

That being said, who wants to make a trip to New Glarus?
This gun will not reload, cuz bitch I got extendos...
iowapat

Postby Single L » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:26 pm

iowapat wrote:[The van chasers/hoarders are really shitty......... As far as TG goes, Nick will let you know where his next stop is if you ask nicely.

Wouldn't this make you a van chaser if you're asking where the next delivery will be? :shock: :mrgreen:
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby iowapat » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:11 pm

Single L wrote:
iowapat wrote:[The van chasers/hoarders are really shitty......... As far as TG goes, Nick will let you know where his next stop is if you ask nicely.

Wouldn't this make you a van chaser if you're asking where the next delivery will be? :shock: :mrgreen:

just some helpful info for the others out there...I don't chase vans anymore, I just have the chief set aside cases for me...
iowapat

Postby iowapat » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:59 am

The second offering of TG Brews XHOPS series (blue and yellow labels) is hitting the tap house today...

Van chasers in DM may want to keep a look out for Murph or Chad
iowapat

Postby AO » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:26 pm

1545547_800464849979535_1806627725_n.jpg
1545547_800464849979535_1806627725_n.jpg (97.49 KiB) Viewed 327 times
AO

Postby AO » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:32 pm

Since I took this last week I've added 2013 Bells Expedition Stout, 2013 Rye on Rye, 2013 Founders Breakfast Stout, Schlafly Stout aged in Bourbon, Madhouse Barleywine aged in Cedar Ridge Whiskey barrels, 2013 Founders Imp Stout and Nectar Ales Black Xantus.
AO

Postby iowapat » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:25 am

AO wrote:Since I took this last week I've added 2013 Bells Expedition Stout, 2013 Rye on Rye, 2013 Founders Breakfast Stout, Schlafly Stout aged in Bourbon, Madhouse Barleywine aged in Cedar Ridge Whiskey barrels, 2013 Founders Imp Stout and Nectar Ales Black Xantus.

I'll take those New Glarus bottles off your hands since they're just sitting on a shelf
iowapat

Postby iowapat » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:00 am

Is there anything worse than a Hop Slam hangover?
iowapat

PreviousNext

Return to Stuff