2014 USDGC Performance Flight Iowa rep

Post questions and comments to Justin McLuen the Iowa State Coordinator

Moderator: Clue

2014 USDGC Performance Flight Iowa rep

Postby Discgo » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:52 am

Will this be done through a qualifier this year? If so, any idea when and where it will be held?
Chain-outs since last ace - 1
Discgo

Re: 2014 USDGC Performance Flight Iowa rep

Postby Clue » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:55 am

I've had so little interest in this that I'm leaning toward picking someone again. I can't express how happy I was sending Beery last year. However, I'm always flexible so if there's a big ground swell to do a qualifier it could happen.
Clue

Postby Discgo » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:36 pm

The lack of interest might be stemming from the lack of a qualifier the last two years and a poorly run qualifier the first year it was up for grabs. Looking back at the thread from last year there was definitely interest for a qualifier but it never came to be. This forum seems to be dying down now so I doubt you will get much interest here this year.
Chain-outs since last ace - 1
Discgo

Postby Clue » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:09 pm

Qualifiers are fine and there are plenty of ways to promote it, however there are several deficiencies as well. By now I would hope that anyone interested in going to the USDGC knows and understands what it takes to get there. Jonathon Poole is constantly telling prospective players to contact their state coordinators. And people do...roughly 4 or 5 every year.

I've completely switched my mentality about the state rep. When it was for a spot in the main tournament I wanted to send the best player. In it's current format I believe it's simply for the experience, and thus I feel strongly about using it as a reward for deserving players from Iowa. In other words, given the choice between sending a player who has a strong qualifying weekend vs someone who spends countless volunteer hours working or promoting the sport and various events, I'd rather send the volunteer. Again, It's hardly set in stone and I'll certainly put word out to get various opinions but I'm definitely leaning toward picking someone.
Clue

Postby schlabach » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:42 pm

You already know this but I would like to go!
schlabach

Postby Ferch » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:01 am

I agree with Clue. How many of us can really afford such a trip? There are a handful of guys I could pick to win the qualifier, but maybe only one or two might be able to go with responsibilities and other expenses that would take priority. In the bits of time I had to watch the USDGC this year I admit I was looking for Iowa guys, but my main focus was on Dave. With all the work he has done and the impact the Beery's have done for the community he deserved the trip and any fair tree kick or roll heading his way.
Living for flight. One day at a time.
Ferch

Return to Ask the State Coordinator