Revisiting starting a club

Moderator: peyton

Revisiting starting a club

Postby AO » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:49 am

I have been in touch with the City of Cedar Rapids Parks Director and he would like CR to have a club or somewhat of an organized group. He would like to be part of the meetings to discuss ideas, plans and issues. Those interested please let me know. I don't know if we will do the Prez, Vice Prez and so on formula....just have something established. I will post shortly time and place we will be meeting. Hopefully we can do this in a month or so.
AO

Re: Revisiting starting a club

Postby geoffreylaw » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:29 pm

I might be down but on one condition, I want the title of El Capitán.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything."
~Friedrich Nietzsche
geoffreylaw

Postby Buzzz Killington » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:15 pm

I'm not from CR, don't really have much input since I'm only a player there, but would like to see a board of committee members, such as yourself, Frog, Doug, and a few others from CR (Kirby, Greco, Karstens, Stiers come to mind) vote on ideas concerning disc golf with the appropriate city members in bi-weekly or monthly meetings.

Holy crap. Just curious so I looked into incorporating such an organization for tax-exempt status for fund raising purposes...a lot of paper filing, record keeping, and $20. Plus $750 if you raise over $10k in 4 years. Almost worth it if you're looking at a new course, but I know Iowa City Parks Dept. already had one set up and was used when Pen was put in. Thank god.
Buzzz Killington

Postby 3x state champ runner up » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:47 pm

AO wrote:I have been in touch with the City of Cedar Rapids Parks Director and he would like CR to have a club or somewhat of an organized group. He would like to be part of the meetings to discuss ideas, plans and issues. Those interested please let me know. I don't know if we will do the Prez, Vice Prez and so on formula....just have something established. I will post shortly time and place we will be meeting. Hopefully we can do this in a month or so.

i had this conversation with veedz after the BW cup tournament, and how if a club was organized which included a parks liaison who could work with the city to make course changes that the membership voted on would be great idea. That way if you're a paid member you can voice your oppinion well before work gets done. having a goal to work for is key.

i have the dsm bylaws and such and have read up on what a club would take. it's pretty in depth and a lot of work. i think it can be done with the right pieces in place. having lawyers and accountants involved is always a turn off.

i also think until this is done, no-one will take us seriously in our area, which i'm cool with too.
camping in humbolt 2013 - greco: "why is there so much water in my tent?" bernie: "sweat and tears greco, sweat and tears"
3x state champ runner up

Postby natohammy » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:26 am

One hundred dollars a year / member with absolutely nothing to give the first year beside a badge with your member # on it. If you have some for site that in itself should be cool enough knowing that hopefully fifty years down the road you could have five hundred members from after you showing up at your funeral;) let all of the details come with time. The larger the group gets the larger the pot gets the more exciting talking about it sounds and the more realistic private property will seem three years tops and we're seriously talking about having enough cash to put down on all the land we could ever need. As things progress it'll be obvious who wants in by who puts there $ where there mouth is and most likely anyone willing to put that much down will feel involved enough to help out where they best can. If you've ever watched sons of anarchy meetings could emulate their meetings, lol, but seriously. No president until needed. Just a speaker and recorder would be fine. It would feel boring and completely like begging for quite some time but you take fifty bucks from a hundred guys or a hundred bucks from fifty guys do the math, to me that scenario sounds realistic with time and that equals 5k / yr fixed income without adding in fundraisers and donations. Depending and how it's invested you sound be able to even add in the interest for fuk sake. I honestly think having a bank of between twenty and thirty thousand after three to four years is byall means extremely possible. Really get creative, maybe once our #s are up we could lobby to larger local corporate businesses asking for help with getting thecountry club on iits feet.
natohammy

Postby natohammy » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:50 am

If there was a group of one hundred people signing up willing to pay a n annual fee and are organized and already have a bank account to prove seriousness I think it would be an easy sell. "Rockwell Disc golf country club". Go ahead and honestly laugh I know I sound like an idiot,I really do believe in it though. Once private property is achievedwithin near enough distance of a higher populated area you can tack on probably another ten grand a year in disc sales and pay to play / mountain bike . This is going back probably eight years but I had a conversation with a highly trusted long time, since retired realestate agent and I swear I remember him saying to set it up like a gun club and that once you had proof of so many members at such a fee for a few years or so getting a loan starts to get pretty easy due to having so many people to fall back on. A lot less is needed down because the risk is lower with an organization compared with a typical home loan for instance. Would love for someone with big smarts in that field to chime in with there two cents and a membership fee;) all I ever care to do is work in the field but I promise you I'll pull my weight on that end.
natohammy

Postby natohammy » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:54 am

I gotta wrap this up its almost four in the morning, my daughter woke me up and I couldn't sleep so was browsing the site but I'm definitely tired now after typing all of that book on my cell phone. Kind of loopy from being tired or I never would have posted that but I felt the need to voice my opinion. I just think someone needs to pull the trigger and start taking fees.
natohammy

Postby natohammy » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:16 am

One last thing, to any naysayers on the membership fee , as long as we never spend a dime it's really only a savings fund and could simply be reimbursed back to the rightful owners if in time we lost hope and accepted things for what they were. No harm done trying. Shit I'd put down $500-1k in advance on my membership fees. also, I'm sick of even the thought of dealing with the city on anything to do with disc golf .There not as tough to deal with as people once had me thinking they were but I'm just tired of asking them for permission, asking a membership board sounds way more productive. Private sector has a lot more opportunity!
natohammy

Postby 3x state champ runner up » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:16 pm

I agree with ham bone, say anyone who wants to sign up come write you name the ledger and pay your fee. there are bank accts that don't pay interest so it's not like someone who has the acct in his/her name would get hosed by the irs and there's no need for an accountant, just someone trustwothy. you can have them bring bank statements and records for balancing purposes. having a goal is what's most important.
camping in humbolt 2013 - greco: "why is there so much water in my tent?" bernie: "sweat and tears greco, sweat and tears"
3x state champ runner up

Postby natohammy » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:13 pm

Is that you Greco?
natohammy

Postby natohammy » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:27 pm

Today I posted
" TO ALL DISC GOLF ENTHUSIASTS.

I need your input

Please participate in a brief survey to determine what level of interest there may be in establishing a private disc golf country club (crpdgcc) in our community!

Responding is quick and easy!

Simply send a text to 319-533-3120 providing the dollar amount that you would willingly pay each year towards a membership fee . (E.g. $100)

This survey will be open throughout the 2014 season!
Please respond today!
Your response does not require you to join anything and will be kept confidential.
thanks in advance for your participation"

All responses towards it from here are greatly appreciated and if anyone has a place in mind for a flier or any other input of any kind get in touch.
natohammy

Postby veedz » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:28 am

Just noticed this thread. To me a group to help represent the disc community to the city (or cities) and a group working for a privately owned disc course are two separate topics.
I really like the idea of getting consensus on goals for course work and having clear communication with the Parks Dept. It is great the Parks Director has offered to be involved in discussions. Thanks for working towards this, Adam! I think anyone with sincere interest and willingness to participate should be allowed rather than have it require money.
Hammy, you think big! We've talked a little about this before, and for now I'll just say I'm curious on what kind of feedback you get on your survey.
Paranoia is a disease unto itself - and may I add, the person standing next to you may not be who they appear to be
veedz

Postby Beef » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:59 pm

Most of you don't know me too well. I just moved up here in 2012. I live in Iowa City. I have every
intention of starting a club for the Corridor. I think both cities can benefit from us working toget
her. Obviously, some things won't work with both cities, but we'll work around that. We'll have club fees and a required minimum of volunteer hours. I like the idea of land owned by a club. I'm going to look into this and get it going. So bear with me as I pick all your brains.
Beef

Postby natohammy » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:30 am

did u read my last post 'beef'? whered you move from sorry just curious?
natohammy

Postby natohammy » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:42 am

also curious, does the crcc require so many hours of volunteer? i kind of picture membership fees high enough to consider that enough to be in. things will work themselves out from there. i dont think like everyone pictures things i know but me myself would rather have less hands doing the work and the majority of people just giving there input when things turn into a big enough deal to be called into a vote. more help rarely turns into more efficiency and higher quality control is easier when kept to managing a fewer amount of people. the reason i feel people need brought together is simply for the #'s power, people, and money, period. were not short handed on people, or the resources, equipment or materials to build an amazing course at an awesome price, were short on the cash money to do it. the only thing i can think of for needing volunteered time is maybe doing fundraiser tournaments or any other thing for that matter to try and raise mula! we need bank
natohammy

Next

Return to Cedar Rapids Club