The Only Other "Real" Hobby

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Re: The Only Other "Real" Hobby

Postby grodney » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:18 am

10up wrote:I'm just wondering if this is one of those f­ucking weird Colorado things... Seriously a Chucking wal-mart sized liquor store with nothing but bottled beer EVERYWHERE. I hate it.

One of the local breweries here starting canning. They sell in 4-packs of 16oz cans. $8 for the session IPA, $10 for their bigger IPA. Great stuff, and awesome to get it in cans. Beyond that one local brewery, I'm starting to see cans from quite a few "regional" craft breweries.

grodney

Postby Single L » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:13 pm

10up wrote:is it pretty easy to get cans in Iowa?
.........I'm just wondering if this is one of those f­ucking weird Colorado things... Seriously a Chucking wal-mart sized liquor store with nothing but bottled beer EVERYWHERE. I hate it.

More and more craft breweries are canning their beer now. I see lots in cans at the stores around here.

Here's a great tool for ya Dan .....
http://craftcans.com/usbeermap.php
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby grodney » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:27 pm

AO wrote:Brew pubs are popping up all over the place.

The thing in Charlotte the last few years is breweries, not brewpubs. Beer, tap room, no food. They are flourishing. But they seriously have their crap together when it comes to marketing and distribution to local bars and restaurants, as well as having a nice finished tap room. Most notably Triple C and NoDa and Birdsong. Distribution to retail is pretty limited, with just a few bombers/growlers (with the new addition of the aforementioned NoDa cans, made possibly by their booming popularity).

I don't know why the same thing wouldn't work in Des Moines (or IA City/CR or the QC). It obviously takes money and some serious business savvy, but the market should be there. And going beer-only (and relying on food trucks and/or take-in) simplifies it so much.
grodney

Postby AO » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:32 pm

grodney wrote:

The thing in Charlotte the last few years is breweries, not brewpubs. Beer, tap room, no food. They are flourishing. But they seriously have their crap together when it comes to marketing and distribution to local bars and restaurants, as well as having a nice finished tap room. Most notably Triple C and NoDa and Birdsong. Distribution to retail is pretty limited, with just a few bombers/growlers (with the new addition of the aforementioned NoDa cans, made possibly by their booming popularity).

I don't know why the same thing wouldn't work in Des Moines (or IA City/CR or the QC). It obviously takes money and some serious business savvy, but the market should be there. And going beer-only (and relying on food trucks and/or take-in) simplifies it so much.

I don't know why they don't focus on just beer. I'd be interested to hear why. Seems the only one in Iowa doing the above is Toppling Goliath. They seem to be doing it right and there beer is in high demand.
AO

Postby Single L » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:14 pm

AO wrote:
grodney wrote:

I don't know why they don't focus on just beer. I'd be interested to hear why. Seems the only one in Iowa doing the above is Toppling Goliath. They seem to be doing it right and there beer is in high demand.

I think the majority going in these days are tap room only breweries. Of the 7 that have gone up recently in the DSM area (Twisted Vine, Confluence, 515 Brewing, Exile, Number 7, New American - Just Opened, Fire Trucker - Opening 2014) only Exile and Number 7 are brewpubs. Exile has blah baby step German style beer, but great food. Number 7 is a dumpster fire; crappy food and beer, and Fire Trucker is opening right across the street. The end of Number 7 in near. The rest are nano or micro breweries that have tap rooms (Confluence, 515, Fire Trucker), or off premise on tap only (New American and Twisted Vine).

I see a lot of nano breweries in Iowa popping up all over the place. This is a great way to get the scene moving; its also low overhead and low risk for the proprietor.

I don't think you'll see a lot of production micro breweries, like Toppling Goliath, Its just too costly. You may see some nano's / micro's grow into a production facility, like TG did, but it takes time and a superb product. We have a handful of production breweries in the state, however they don't have superb products so the hype is not there. I personally think you have to grow it to that level, not start at that level. Confluence has plan and brewery space to be a production brewer, but they are taking it one step at a time.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby AO » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:34 pm

Btw..picked up a new one in Deschutes The Abyss
AO

Postby MDR_3000 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:07 pm

AO wrote:Btw..picked up a new one in Deschutes The Abyss

I will be tasting mine in the next day or two
If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

Postby 10up » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:42 am

grodney wrote:
10up wrote:I'm just wondering if this is one of those f­ucking weird Colorado things... Seriously a Chucking wal-mart sized liquor store with nothing but bottled beer EVERYWHERE. I hate it.

One of the local breweries here starting canning. They sell in 4-packs of 16oz cans. $8 for the session IPA, $10 for their bigger IPA. Great stuff, and awesome to get it in cans. Beyond that one local brewery, I'm starting to see cans from quite a few "regional" craft breweries.

These look good. I may be out in NC sometime early 2014. We'll have to organize a beer trip if so.
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby iowapat » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:49 am

MDR_3000 wrote:
AO wrote:Btw..picked up a new one in Deschutes The Abyss

I will be tasting mine in the next day or two

Same here...

I'll be drinking some Assassin, wearing carhartt bibs, and frying a turkey tomorrow...after I stop at Red's for growlers
If you're gonna sell chicken, I pray to hell you're cooking it right
iowapat

Postby iowapat » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:58 am

Firkin Friday at TG this week...

GNugg dry hopped with golden nugget (Goldings/Nugget hybrid) hops

If you've never made it to a Firkin Friday, it's not to be missed...

AO/Chuck, I'll try to bring some by the shop on my way back
iowapat

Postby AO » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:06 pm

Sweet! Ill have some goodies too.
AO

Postby iowapat » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:17 pm

AO wrote:Sweet! Ill have some goodies too.

Going to Red's tomorrow?
iowapat

Postby AO » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:24 pm

iowapat wrote:
AO wrote:Sweet! Ill have some goodies too.

Going to Red's tomorrow?

Nope. I'm in Independence for the day. All kinds of good beers at Bricks and Parlor though. Bricks has Riwakan Dead.
AO

Postby AO » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:52 pm

AO

Postby StingHP » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:47 am

Currently enjoying a Breckenridge Oatmeal Stout.
StingHP

PreviousNext

Return to Stuff