The Only Other "Real" Hobby

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Re: The Only Other "Real" Hobby

Postby AO » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:52 am

Yep..It's great stuff! The only shitty part is almost all sours are pricey.

It may be a far shot but if any of you can get Russian River Wilds/Sours or Cascade brew please let me know. I'll get $ your way. It's almost impossible to get in this area unless I trade.
Last edited by AO on Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
AO

Postby AO » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:54 am

Guerilla Brew Co had tapped a Cherry Tart last night. Fresh and his brother went last night. Gonna try and hit it up tonight.

https://www.facebook.com/GuerrillaBrewingCo?ref=br_tf
AO

Postby Single L » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:12 am

Knowing my fondness for Saison's my GF surprised me with a bottle of Crooked Stave Saison Vieille Artisanal. This is a very unique and interesting saison; very tart compared to most and had a lot of complexity dye to the sour / barrel aging in a foader. It has most of the notes you in a Saison, although its not as bubbly and the sour funk really dominate the base style of the beer. A pretty good beer that I enjoyed simply because it was different. Not my favorite Saison, I like the bastardized american versions, but I could see AO and others really enjoying this one a lot.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby O_D » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:56 am

Waukee Hy-Vee has surprisingly good selection of beer. Over weekend picked up bomber of CIB Breakfast Stout. Was looking for an nice meaty oatmeal stout since it was "fall" outside and hadn't tried these guys - Carson, IA.
Surprise! It's a sour stout - and freaking good. Huge marketing/labeling fail for CIB - but I def need to try more of their stuff after looking at their website.
Calmer than you are.
O_D

Postby AO » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:47 pm

CIB is ok imo. Don't quite have it down yet. This one wasn't bad...http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29782/96765
AO

Postby SpikeHyzer » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:24 pm

I almost feel embarrassed to admit I drank this one. The wife brought home some KBC Pumpkin Ale over the weekend. Never been a huge fan of Pumpkin Ales and have never heard of KBC, but thought I would try it. Literally tasted like I was drinking a pumpkin pie with a small amount of beer flavoring.
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.
SpikeHyzer

Postby Single L » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:00 pm

AO wrote:CIB is ok imo. Don't quite have it down yet. This one wasn't bad...http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29782/96765

They use Brett or Wild yeast in everything they brew. Their beers also taste very homebrewy (I've heard they are an extract brewery. No home brewer in their right mind would every attempt to go public/commercial with extract brewing .... all-grain or keep your shit in your basement). IMO a brewery needs to be more rounded to be successful. Sure there are some that can pull it off, but most can't. Typically certain styles call for a a specific strain of yeast and some just shouldn't be soured. Take Peace Tree for example uses the same Belgian strain in everything they brew, and guess what, every beer has a similar note. In some styles it just doesn't work or it gets boring.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby O_D » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:01 am

Re - Extract vs Grain: Personally if I like the way it tastes, and it is consistent I don't think I care one way or the other. Would not keep me from buying their stuff.
I do bet they turn off some people who buy their beer expecting one thing and getting a mouthful of sour.

With you on Peace Tree - I think we've talked about this. Not really a fan of anything from them other than the Blonde.
Calmer than you are.
O_D

Postby Single L » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:37 pm

O_D wrote:With you on Peace Tree - I think we've talked about this. Not really a fan of anything from them other than the Blonde.

Agreed ...... and that's because its a Belgian Ale brewed with a Belgian yeast.
Single L

Postby irban » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:43 pm

Had some of this recently. CODY ROAD RYE WHISKEY. Very tasty. Liked it better than Templeton I think. Am drinking the Bulleit Rye now. Not bad, but a little high proof for sipping IMO.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby O_D » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:01 pm

irban wrote:Had some of this recently. CODY ROAD RYE WHISKEY. Very tasty. Liked it better than Templeton I think. Am drinking the Bulleit Rye now. Not bad, but a little high proof for sipping IMO.

Manhattan Season has begun.....thanks for the reminder.
Calmer than you are.
O_D

Postby Single L » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:53 pm

O_D wrote:
irban wrote:Had some of this recently. CODY ROAD RYE WHISKEY. Very tasty. Liked it better than Templeton I think. Am drinking the Bulleit Rye now. Not bad, but a little high proof for sipping IMO.

Manhattan Season has begun.....thanks for the reminder.

Old Fashion Season began last week at my house!!! Bulleit Rye is my go to rye. In a rye whisky I want to be able to taste the rye, and at a 95% rye mash it certainly does. Templeton is too soft for a rye IMO, not enough rye shines through. I'll have to give the Cody Road stuff a try, I've been meaning to for awhile now. In Iowa related bourbon news, I think Cedar Ridge has gone down in quality a bit. My uncle, who is a ubber bourbon snob, thinks they are rushing their product to meet demand, so its starting to wane a bit. My go to bourbon is still Buffalo Trace ... can't be beat for the $$$
Single L

Postby AO » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:05 pm

Just picked up Chasin Freshies and Hop Trip by Deschutes today. I'm also 10 craft bombers/6packs from the Century Club at Oakland Hy-Vee!! :oops: 8) :P :twisted: Looks like I'll be trying a few more new brews this week to get my T-shirt and $50 gift cert.
AO

Postby iowapat » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:54 am

After spending the last week in the FL Keys, boy was I glad to get home and open some Pseudo Sue...I don't think they know how to use hops down there...

Although, I did manage to drink my weight in Yuengling...and rum...a whooooole lotta rum
If you're gonna sell chicken, I pray to hell you're cooking it right
iowapat

Postby AO » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:32 pm

iowapat wrote:After spending the last week in the FL Keys, boy was I glad to get home and open some Pseudo Sue...

Filled another growler tonight. Probably my favorite beer right now. Keep making trips to Parlor but also shared 2 growlers at Discman Dubs. Just can't get into the porters or stouts right now and the citra hops is where it's at.
AO

PreviousNext

Return to Stuff