2013 USDGC

Tournaments in the rest of the non Iowa world

Re: 2013 USDGC

Postby The Donator » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:28 am

Someone in the Carolina's...all they do is bitch on every single board possible. Positive its MTL, he is probably the only person in NC and SC combined that is college educated.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby AO » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:42 am

Clue wrote:Surj Soleng. He's my newest facebook friend!

He posted this in like 2006 or 2007.

Orange hat big plate:
"A young man had finally decided to move away from his families home. He had packed his only possession, a little dinner plate, and left without a word. After many days of wandering, he began to starve. Suddenly, his nose caught fire with the smell of food. He ran and ran until he found himself in a bazaar of sorts. People were everywhere. His hunger panged in his gut.
"Free food for the guys with the orange hats," the bearded man yelled into the crowd.
"Where can i get an Orange hat," asked the young man nervously.
"Oh, you cant have one; Sorry sir, no CHANCE at this food, now move along."
The younger man sulked at this let down. Why couldn't he sit down and eat the bountiful meal with the older bearded gentlemen. Our friend had nearly given up hope, and was about to leave, when from another side of the crowded fairground he heard a burley voice exclaim. "Free food for the guys with Blue hats," and again, "People with Blue hats, step right up." Our friend made his way through the crowd. He saw the man with the growling burley voice, and behind him, well, food for miles. "Can I help you," bellowed the man.
"Oh, well, hello sir, I am very hungry, where can i get a Blue hat?"
"All you have to do is ask my friend. No codes or restrictions here. "
"WOW, thats great. You mean they have all this food and i can just ask for a Blue hat and be part of it?"
"Thats right! We let anyone in to our feast."
The young mans face swiveled from side to side as he eyed through the crowd. Everything was wonderful, and then, suddenly he was stumped by what he saw. There were men with orange hats eating at the tables. Well, they had on Blue hats, but also orange ones!!! "Sir," the young shouted, "those men have on orange hats!!!"
"Oh thats OK my little friend," boomed the man, " We let all people who wish join us here." The Large man spread his arms wide to demonstrate that he meant the whole crowd. The younger man looked confused. "But sir, There is another area on the other side of the fairground, where..." he paused, " where the orange hats are eating!" Suddenly, a loud grumble came from the large man, it was followed by a deep, exhaustive laugh. It was so loud that many a person turned his head to see what was so funny. When he finished laughing, the large man took a deep breath " why young man, you must be new here," the young man nodded, "Well, it could mean many things. Maybe there are not a lot of orange hats around today, and these gentlemen didn't want to eat alone, or with just a small crowd," said the large man. As the young man listened he curiously eyed all the people eating, and nodded his head. "But thats not all," the large man said, "Maybe the Orange hats came and saw that the Blue hats in here had smaller plates. You see," the large man continued, and bent over to console the confused young man, "The Blue hats always have better food, but somedays, only blue hats with small plates show up. When an Orange hat sees that he has a chance at better food, AND with a bigger plate.... well my boy," he said " do you see where Im going?" The young man looked down at his shoes. After a moment he looked up. "But, how come they can eat here and when they see that it benefits them, or when they are just a few, but...... but, they wont let anyone else into their area?" At this, the large man pursed his lips and began to knuckle his forehead. "Well son, " said the large man, " I guess thats just the way it is. Some people have choices, they are free to move about the the fairground.... kind of like an all access pass." The young man quickly stammered in, "what about blue hats?" The large man shook his head and frowned. "The Blue hats have it rough here. Usually, there a lot of them around. Sometimes there are quite a few with large, gigantic plates. On these days, there just isn't enough food...." "but sir" the young man interrupted, " Where else can the blue hats go to get food?" The Large man took another deep breath, " its very difficult.. you see, once a blue had has eaten in the blue tent, he cant eat anywhere else, well, at least not for a long time. The Orange hats are free to go where the food is better, or the plates are smaller, but the Blue hat cannot. It is just the way it is."
The young mans eyes began to tear up and he said, "but i just got here, and i have only this tiny, tiny, plate to eat with. Where can I go?
"Well, my boy," said the Large man, "you can go into the Blue tent, but there is a chance your small plate wont get any food. But, you can also go where all the other very small plates go." The young mans eyes lit up with hope. "where is that, please tell me, Im so hungry"... "Well," The large man said, " you can go to a vender and he will give you vitamin pills. They are like food, but without the familiar smell, and texture."
He could not take anymore. It was all so confusing. How come some people could go where ever they wanted, and some were could not. The young man began to walk away, shoulders slumped. Behind him he heard words echoing from the large mans chest and mouth. "Be careful my boy, for one day, you will want real food and not those vitamin pills any longer. Make sure you are ready for real food. Bring a large plate back with you, because once you've tasted the Blue hats food, and receive your own blue hat.... you're stuck with them. Remember, a big plate...!"
-sjur-
AO

Postby The Donator » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:47 pm

Good thing I learned how to speed read, because that was the most worthless thing/article/whateverthefuck I have ever seen in my life.
The Donator

Postby AO » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:54 pm

Of course it was and nobody on this board could have thought your response would be anything different. Still thinking Robert Leonard wrote the article? Man, you've been spot on this week.
AO

Postby Dana » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:10 pm

Clue wrote:Wow, I wonder who took it down. Noticed the name Trotter as being part of talkdg. I'm guessing he's in Vegas where everyone seems to be right now. No idea if Innova or Prodigy threatened him with anything. I don't remember anything in the article that I'd consider liable. Gonna be an interesting week...

Thats Jim Trotter from Springfield, IL.
Dana

Postby Sidearm » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:53 am

I would like to hear Beery's analysis of his USDGC experience. No offense to AO & Dana, but most of us on here have a game that's a lot more similar to Beery's than to our regional 1010-rated pro's. How about it, Beery? Tell us what the course and experience was like for an advanced-level player.
Sidearm

Postby The Donator » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:04 pm

Sidearm wrote:I would like to hear Beery's analysis of his USDGC experience. No offense to AO & Dana, but most of us on here have a game that's a lot more similar to Beery's than to our regional 1010-rated pro's. How about it, Beery? Tell us what the course and experience was like for an advanced-level player.

Have been waiting for him to weigh in as well...might not have wanted to take the spotlight or drag down AO's thread tho :D
The Donator

Postby blkwizardsonny » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:01 pm

i asked him about it he said he had fun watching the top pros melt down on a couple holes .lol all he said
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny

Postby schlabach » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:19 pm

Buzzz Killington wrote:Dude already removed his posts from talkdg. Boooooooo

Its on DGCR

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/sh ... 476&page=8
schlabach

Postby diskey river » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:06 pm

Rock Hill, South Carolina. In the sport of disc golf, you really don’t need to say too much more than that to get a reaction. You ask pretty much anyone what is the best event on the planet and they are going to say USDGC. And why wouldn’t they? Winthrop Gold is a great course, the amenities of the event are fantastic, the payout is great and it’s the second most prestigious and second most profitable title in the sport.

But do you think I’m going to talk about all that crap? Of course not. Check out USDGC.com or PDGA.com or Steve Brinster’s Facebook status or pretty much every 920 rated player in the Performance Flight’s page to get that. Newsflash – disc golfers don’t deny friend requests. Let’s talk about everything about this event this year that you won’t hear too much about.

The drive to Winthrop off I-77 reminds me of something you would see on Cops. Crappy gas stations, check cashing places, a title loan store and a Waffle House. When a sketch Mexican joint, located conveniently in eye site of 11’s tee, is the best looking part of the drive, you quickly realize Disc Golf’s Mecca is located in, well, the ghetto. And just to drive in stereotypes a little harder, you cross train tracks as you enter the course.

Good news for those that don't cash, this place is pretty close.
Good news for those that don’t cash, this place is pretty close.

Once you enter Winthrop University, get ready for two things. Innova and Maceman. Everywhere. Want anything else made by anyone else? You better be playing because that’s the only way it’s going to happen. Maceman is the only person allowed to vend. Not even Spike Hyzer, the company in charge of player hospitality, or the PDGA, who provides quite a few staff members and cash for the event, can vend. Publicly, Maceman has done a ton for the event and certainly deserves the opportunity to vend. But considering his alleged large debt with Innova, I’m sure they have NO personal motivation at all for their no outside vending policy.

If you are lucky enough to play, I would say you could prep by reading the PDGA rule book. But that won’t help. Each and every year the rules are always changed and are flat out not in the rule book. And before I get a bunch of comments, yes, I know Andrew Sweeton and the BOD approves the rules for the event. Yes I understand the special conditions rule. I’m just saying that if I ran a C Tier with hazards and Buncr’s or whatever they hell they do next year, I’m not going to have many people there.

But no matter what silly rules they come up with or the amount of complaints players will have about them, the USDGC always gets players there. And it’s not rocket science as to why. It’s because the top players are basically whores. Whores will do anything for cash. I could run an event on the crappiest course on the planet, make a rule that required that each player to discuss unicorns each hole and have a Monopoly tournament to get in, if I add $50,000 to the event, these guys are there.

The largest whore of the week award goes to Matt Orum who posted his player pack from the event on Facebook via Garrett Gurthie for sale. Josh Anthon did the same thing last year. In reality, however, you can’t blame the top players for being whores. This is their living, for the most of them, and when they aren’t selling pot Jeff Layland style, they need to get money so they can carpool to the next town and sleep on a floor for a week. And the USDGC provides them the best chance to continue to do this. They can spew all the promotion of the sport, Avery Jenkins style, but in the end, it all comes back to helping their pockets.

Somehow when I see this picture, all I can think of is...
Somehow when I see this picture, all I can think of is…

This one.
This one.

While I’m on whores, how does Harold Duvall think of these rules? At one of the PDGA Summits this year, Harold took a stack of discs and then knocked them over with speed 13 discs in a presentation about how high speed discs were ruining the sport he loved. Hey Harold, remember that ad you made about the wraith and the slogan was “these things go to 11?” It’s probably the most laughable and ironic thing that the owner of Innova is complaining about making discs that go too far. The company that brought us Blizzard. And Bosses. And Blizzard bosses. How much money did you make off those things? And this is the guy thinking of the rules for our sports largest payday.

Now that I have all of that off my chest, let’s look at this year’s USDGC and all the story lines that I think are worth mentioning.

Stevie Brinster. The only thing negative I can say about the guy is I once gave him a ride at a worlds between rounds and he complained about how crappy my car was. Well it was my grandmothers. And he talked crap about granny.

Other than that, this guy is first class and I couldn’t be happier that he finally got this monkey off his back. He has consistently been one of the world’s best throwers of a disc and consistently one of the worlds most ridiculous looking putters. Seriously if I didn’t know that guy was Brinster and saw him do that ridiculous bus driving thing he does with his putt, I would be trying to hustle him on the course for a few bucks (see whore comments above).

The wheels on the bus go low and doink. Low and doing. Low and doink. All through the course.
The wheels on the bus go low and doink. Low and doink. Low and doink. All through the course.

People lost, Brinster didn’t win. Steve Brinster threw less times than anyone but this year’s story on the course really was about the blow ups left and right. Hole 13, AKA 888, ate up Barry Schultz on Thursday (an 11) and Nate Doss on Wednesday and Saturday (an 8 Wednesday, a 10 Saturday). Hole 17 got Will Schusterick on the 71st hole tied for the lead taking a 6 compared to Stevie’s 2. Dave Feldbeard was charging and took a 7 on his final hole to erase the chance to force a playoff. A little karma for him, perhaps, because I know of at least two people who have complained about Osama Bin Laden working them on that very hole in past years.

We now know where this beard is. It's filled with tears on Dave's chin.
We now know where this beard is. It’s filled with tears on Dave’s chin.

888 is one of the most iconic holes in disc golf for pretty much the scores it produces you saw above. But in the end, you are throwing across a parking lot and beside a road. Pretty much every person who has ever complained about safety on a course should hate this hole. 17 is the reason some people love USDGC and the reason some people hate USDGC. 17 can be summed up in one sentence. It’s pretty damn funny to watch the best players in the world struggle on such a damn easy hole. There is nothing more painfully pleasing than beating someone in your group by 4 for the round when you just got your ass handed to you for the rest of the round.

Each of these players literally gave the tournament away and while you could and should point to the fact that Brinster never took anything higher than a 5 and only had one double bogey for the week, his performance was basically average for everything but the stellar 55 in round 1. The reason he won surely has to do with his 55 and his control of big numbers, but I’ve never seen a USDGC where so many people crumbled left and right. And while you can’t compare year to year because of the rule changes, but for the most part, the course has been identical since the 2006 year. Brinster’s total of 237 would have only won twice since then – and one of those was the stroke and distance every shot year.
diskey river

Postby diskey river » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:06 pm

Disc Planet TV. This absolute disaster of a promotion makes writing this column easy. I really should do an entire article about how awful it was. Where do we even begin?

F#@#! I'm on camera? I think about 1,000 people just heard that!
F#@#! I’m on camera? I think about 1,000 people just heard that!

The camera wasn’t cutting away to other holes and he would intro a putt with “ok back to 11.” Guess what, we never left. On Sunday, despite being more than 10 throws back to start, he mentioned that the leaders struggles could mean someone like Locastro or McBeth coming from behind despite them not even being on the third card to start the round (perspective time, McBeth shot 52 and still lost by 6 to Brinster who “only” shot 62. This means McBeth was 16 off the lead. Did you look at the numbers or simply just throw a name out there? We already know).

And Crazy has no perspective of timing. Doss makes likes a 24 footer to stay 3 back on 6 and it’s like he just aced on the final hole to win. Calm. Down.

Dave Greenwell provides decent color commentary and like Crazy John, certainly has the credentials as a player to comment on what players should and shouldn’t do. But it’s hard to think about that when you realize that he’s doing commentary with bias for Team Prodigy, which he is a part owner.

The most astonishing part of Greenwell’s perspective is how wrong he is on so many occasions. He has no idea what shots are called (every thumber is not a hook thumber), always thinks that players will throw sidearm when they don’t, will always mention the players about to lay up and they don’t, uses the word wow for everything and for what energy Crazy John brings to the table, it’s immediately canceled by Greenwell’s boredom in the whole thing. Unless Will, excuse me, two time defending champion Will, is throwing.

As a whole, these two this week were either flat out unprepared or simply are just stupid when it came to the rules. Hole 17 was flat out laughable. During round 2, David Wiggins Jr. threw OB short and then Crazy John goes into comments about Wiggins throwing from a hazard putting three. Oh geez where to start. For one, the hole had no hazards on the entire hole. Secondly, it was stroke and distance. How do you not know this? I’m not even in the event, didn’t even play the course this year and have no reason to know this but yet, Crazy John, who has no excuse not to know this, doesn’t. I guess he was busy checking to see who won a Champion Mamba from the list of people who paid $25 to then still pay for world’s coverage to get it right.

The caddy book for hole 17. How do I have one yet the commentators don't?
The caddy book for hole 17 clearly explaining the rules. How do I have one yet the commentators don’t?

The video coverage was a bit better this year. For those of you who don’t know, Terry Roddy is the main videographer. Not only is Terry a great guy and a pretty decent golfer, he works for CBS covering the PGA tour. While he doesn’t operate cameras for them anymore, he clearly has the ability. So the next time you see bad video work from DG Planet just ask yourself one question. Can you imagine how bad this would be without Terry Roddy?

USDGC Live. One of the biggest foul ups not talked about at all was the train wreck known as live scoring. The first few days it was working pretty well. You could easily find a player’s name and see how they were doing after 6 holes, after 12 and then their final score. Even cooler was the ability to see their hole by hole scores as opposed to simply knowing their over/under totals at certain points. But when people actually started caring about the event, the site couldn’t handle the traffic and accessibility became a lottery scratch off ticket.

This impacted multiple areas. Beyond the obvious of fans not knowing the scores, Crazy John and Greenwell didn’t know what was going on either. To their defense accessing the information wasn’t possible so their constant blunders and surprise regarding that Felbeard was making a charge isn’t really on them. Worst of all was how behind it got. On DG Planet, you are seeing the players on 10 and USDGC live shows them through 2 holes. Saying the timing of the information was current was like telling someone about your new bell bottom jeans.

When the best place for scoring updates are your friends who are in attendance Facebook pages and the Disc Golf Course Review message board, you have an issue.

What really is the worst part is that the USDGC was innovators when it came to live scoring. Back in the DOTS day, you at least knew who was winning. All of the sudden, PDGA Tour live scoring looked archaic and no one really paid attention to it. USDGC live did something that I never thought would be possible – it made people actually care about PDGA Tour Live scoring.

Finally, someone cared about this.
Finally, someone cared about this.

Performance Edition. I seriously can name more runner ups for MVP in the WNBA than I can performance edition winners. The USDGC literally ended this past weekend and I have no clue who won. And it’s mainly for two and only two reasons. First and foremost, I don’t keep up with 930 rated players. And secondly, I couldn’t give a crap (perhaps I should have dropped the F Bomb Crazy John style).

The "winner". Seriously, who the hell is that guy?
The “winner”. Seriously, who the hell is that guy?

John Key, the first performance edition winner (had to look it up, btw), was mentioned in the caddy book as a past champion of the event. Mentioning him as a past champion of the event is like saying, well that John Key is a United States Champion. It’s literally so ridiculous I was trying to think of something to compare it to and couldn’t think of a single thing in the history of any sport that compares to what USDGC does by calling him a champion. A friend of mine, who has never missed cash in many appearances at USDGC, told me that he would never play the event ever again simply because if he won, he would be compared to John Key.

Seriously. His name is there.
Seriously. His name is there.

Remember when all that crap started a few years ago? Nate Doss started a big thing on Facebook about saving the USDGC (see whore comments above) and then the PDGA made a one time major – the PDGA Championship – to replace it. Literally the only top player who liked that idea that year was Ricky Wysocki because he actually won an event that mattered because of it.

But the worst part of it was Billy Crump’s interview with Jonathan Poole about why it was done. I really don’t remember all that was said, mainly because it was like 45 minutes long, but I do remember never hearing “Innova has lost a lot of money, we made the event too big too soon and we need to take a year off.”

Crump and Poole discussing stuff.
Crump and Poole discussing stuff.

So anyway, congrats to whoever the hell you are on your win and I hope you enjoy all the allures of beating yourself more than anyone else beat themselves. Good luck in your next event; that looks like a pretty stacked intermediate field.

Kenny misses cash. Ken Climo didn’t cash. For the first time in 24 years. Think about that. It’s an astonishing streak that will NEVER be repeated and even I can’t think of anything sarcastic to say about it. But I will.

He truly is a legend and this streak ending this week was sadly ignored for the most part. How can the most iconic player of all time and holder of arguably the most dominate streak our sport will ever see (seriously, I think the chances of someone winning 9 straight world titles again is more likely than going 24 years without missing cash) get completely ignored? Oh wait, look at the commentary. That’s how.

This does lead me into the format of the open flight. The list of players not cashing in this event is astounding. Ken Climo. Jeremy Koling. Cameron Todd. A whole bunch of Europeans no one has ever heard of. Philo Brathwaite. Garrett Gurthie. And to me here’s the craziest one. Matt Dollar, who has a rating of 1018, missed cash by 29 strokes and still shot two rounds above 1010.

Maybe he's looking for an ATM?
Maybe he’s looking for an ATM?

This type of “play your ass off or go home with nothing” format that the open pool has created is very identical to what the PGA Tour does each week. And if we had this same type of talent pool in every event, in the end it would even out. Guys like Climo, Koling, Todd, etc, aren’t going to miss cash each and every week. But if payouts were like the one at USDGC each and every week, it wouldn’t matter. And that’s why a guy can be a fringe player on the PGA Tour and still make a living. In golf, we call someone who cashes 5 times a year playing large events only a millionaire. In our sport, we call someone who cashes 5 times a year playing large events only Pete Johnson.

Overall, I give this USDGC a great big blah. The story of the event was Feldberg, Schusterick, Schultz and Doss all having a blow up hole that caused them to lose. It really felt like Stevie didn’t win, rather those guys lost it. The coverage as a whole was terrible. USDGC live wasn’t working properly during the final round. And a virtual no name won the event. No McSlam. No 3 peat. No feel good old man Schultz victory. No Doss joining the exclusive multiple world and multiple USDGC titles club which currently has just Kenny and Barry as members. And no true feeling of this being the greatest event on the planet.

Next year, I predict the following things will happen. Silly rules. A 920 rated player will win the Performance Flight and no one will give a crap. And a bunch of whores. Why would it change?
diskey river

Postby Cydisc » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:16 pm

blkwizardsonny wrote:i asked him about it he said he had fun watching the top pros melt down on a couple holes .lol all he said

I watched a top pro (at the time) miss an 8-footer on #7. His wife laughed.
Cydisc

Postby blkwizardsonny » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:19 pm

Cydisc wrote:
blkwizardsonny wrote:i asked him about it he said he had fun watching the top pros melt down on a couple holes .lol all he said

I watched a top pro (at the time) miss an 8-footer on #7. His wife laughed.

divorce lol
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny

Postby Buzzz Killington » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:06 pm

Count me in for 4-5 laughs while reading that
Buzzz Killington

Postby The Donator » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:01 am

THATS what we were looking for. Thanks French.
The Donator

PreviousNext

Return to National Tournaments