2013 Bushwhackers

Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, and surrounding area leagues.

Re: 2013 Bushwhackers

Postby AO » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:25 am

Chase20460 wrote:
AO wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pShuE09VsjI

Kind of what I figured. I am out of the Wackoff and will return the MVP trophy. I have no time for anyone who changes rules and what not because I have too many trophies. I paid my dues and participated every week like everyone else. It was a one year gig and was fun.




I heard they gave up on awards b/c you won them all. I dont get what the big deal is, wasnt it fairly obvious you were going to smash the beer league? Why did they let you play in the first place if it was going to make people butt sore? I just wouldve told you from the start, your too good for this league, we are more worried about getting a buzzz than birdies,


Shouldn't matter. I had to shoot near course records weekly to beat my opponent as I would give up anywhere from 4-12 points on the first tee. I don't know what the agenda was, but whatever.

Last year...

"not to swell kerns head up even more but he had probably one the, if not the most decorated years in BW history. his 2012 list includes: Whacker Division Champs, MVP (most point by an individual), Best AVG (lowest avg in league), and of course League Champs. nice year Kern!"
AO
 
Posts: 4318
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:06 pm
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA

Re: 2013 Bushwhackers

Postby The Donator » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:48 am

AO wrote: I don't know what the agenda was, but whatever.

Last year...

"not to swell kerns head up even more but he had probably one the, if not the most decorated years in BW history. his 2012 list includes: Whacker Division Champs, MVP (most point by an individual), Best AVG (lowest avg in league), and of course League Champs. nice year Kern!"

The agenda was to screw you over and piss you off, apparently. Did you not get enough recognition or something? Or am I missing something here?
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
User avatar
The Donator
 
Posts: 6304
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:07 pm
Location: West Des Moines, IA

Re: 2013 Bushwhackers

Postby AO » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:42 am

Spot on, dude
AO
 
Posts: 4318
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:06 pm
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA

Re: 2013 Bushwhackers

Postby diskey river » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:55 am

Not a Beer league.

Just a very casual league that encourages players to enjoy competition however they best see fit. As a competition junkie, it is a way more enjoyable form of competition than any same ol' boring one night a week random best shot, or singles league. It allows everyone from all facets of disc golf to compete on a level playing field and requires full participation to make it fair and fun and still very competitive.

The week I played AO, he gave me 5 strokes at Shaver. I gave him all 5 back within about 7 holes and after that we went back and forth hovering around level the rest of the round. He missed a 60 ft putt about 1 inch low on the last hole that I birdied allowing me to half the match. It was a very valuable experience for me and reignited a fire about golf I needed lit.

I was hoping instead of 1 and done for AO, we'd get Tanner in on next year.
User avatar
diskey river
 
Posts: 348
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:11 pm
Location: IC

Re: 2013 Bushwhackers

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:23 am

diskey river wrote:Not a Beer league.

Just a very casual league that encourages players to enjoy competition however they best see fit. As a competition junkie, it is a way more enjoyable form of competition than any same ol' boring one night a week random best shot, or singles league. It allows everyone from all facets of disc golf to compete on a level playing field and requires full participation to make it fair and fun and still very competitive.

The week I played AO, he gave me 5 strokes at Shaver. I gave him all 5 back within about 7 holes and after that we went back and forth hovering around level the rest of the round. He missed a 60 ft putt about 1 inch low on the last hole that I birdied allowing me to half the match. It was a very valuable experience for me and reignited a fire about golf I needed lit.

I was hoping instead of 1 and done for AO, we'd get Tanner in on next year.


That's a great post Joe. I think the big dogs need to hear more of this. While I certainly don't deserve the recognition that players like Adam and Tanner do, it sure means a lot to me when a player comes up and says that they remember a round that we played together several years ago and how some shots inspired them. Happened to me just last night at Grandview and those moments are golden, in my book.

Guys like Adam, Tanner, & Sprague have the ability to inspire disc golfers with every round that they play, every shot that the random player witnesses, and most definately with every Bushwhacker round that requires their best game. I really missed having Tanner this year. I always enjoy playing with the best regional players.
User avatar
GDL17921
 
Posts: 8556
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:57 am
Location: on a rock

Re: 2013 Bushwhackers

Postby Chase20460 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:25 am

May as well throw all the awards out the window then. Maybe give everyone a "Participation" ribbon instead.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
User avatar
Chase20460
 
Posts: 5203
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: 2630 16th St. Moline IL

Re: 2013 Bushwhackers

Postby Chase20460 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:32 am

The Donator wrote:
AO wrote: I don't know what the agenda was, but whatever.

Last year...

"not to swell kerns head up even more but he had probably one the, if not the most decorated years in BW history. his 2012 list includes: Whacker Division Champs, MVP (most point by an individual), Best AVG (lowest avg in league), and of course League Champs. nice year Kern!"

The agenda was to screw you over and piss you off, apparently. Did you not get enough recognition or something? Or am I missing something here?


I would be pissed as well. Aaron, If your ever in that position and dont feel slighted, let us all know...
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
User avatar
Chase20460
 
Posts: 5203
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: 2630 16th St. Moline IL

Re: 2013 Bushwhackers

Postby The Donator » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:10 pm

Chase20460 wrote:
The Donator wrote:
AO wrote: I don't know what the agenda was, but whatever.

Last year...

"not to swell kerns head up even more but he had probably one the, if not the most decorated years in BW history. his 2012 list includes: Whacker Division Champs, MVP (most point by an individual), Best AVG (lowest avg in league), and of course League Champs. nice year Kern!"

The agenda was to screw you over and piss you off, apparently. Did you not get enough recognition or something? Or am I missing something here?


I would be pissed as well. Aaron, If your ever in that position and dont feel slighted, let us all know...

I knew you wouldnt let this comment slide by you :D And no problem, i have played BW's for i dont know how many years and have never won a single award. And not a single Chuck is given by me, im still competitive and have as much fun as anyone. Its a fun league for shits sake. But i guess im confused as to what AO is getting at with his "agenda" comment, like if he was specifically left out of getting award because he was too good or something? Maybe something happened up there that I dont know about, i dont know...again tone is completely lost on this site :D
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
User avatar
The Donator
 
Posts: 6304
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:07 pm
Location: West Des Moines, IA

Re: 2013 Bushwhackers

Postby Chase20460 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:49 pm

I also spent a season in Bushwackers and it was awesome. Had alot of fun, but not enough to do it again.

I just think its bullshit your going to shide someone for doing exactly what someone else did before, only doing it better. If it was me, I would have told AO not to play, its not a league meant for the best players, its meant for people to have fun. Im not sayin that BW is full of chuckers, Im saying most play w a different mentality than someone of Adams caliber is going to be playing with.

...Its different w Kern, he drinks and is more socially involved with more of the players, and like it or not, isnt as driven to win as Adam is. Kern is capable of playing lights out or poorly on any given day, that rarely happens with Adam. He is just going to play well period.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
User avatar
Chase20460
 
Posts: 5203
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: 2630 16th St. Moline IL

Re: 2013 Bushwhackers

Postby The Donator » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:03 pm

It just kinda stinks to see someone saying something negative about the league ive had my heart in for a long time. Again I dont know what happened or how he couldnt be recognized for breaking every record possible, maybe he wasnt at the awards ceremony? Maybe things changed over there? I dont know, i guess I would be a little angry too. I dont want to speak for Greco and the gang, but just dont enjoy to see negativity regarding this type of league.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
User avatar
The Donator
 
Posts: 6304
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:07 pm
Location: West Des Moines, IA

Re: 2013 Bushwhackers

Postby Chase20460 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:34 pm

Im all for Bushwackers. Im in no way trying to slight it by calling it a beer league, but thats what it was when I played it years ago. I had matches against people that couldnt stand, let alone play a round. I had a cool teammate in Tim and had alot of fun.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
User avatar
Chase20460
 
Posts: 5203
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: 2630 16th St. Moline IL

Re: 2013 Bushwhackers

Postby peyton » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:52 pm

Adam should have won the MVP, Best/Lowest average and rookie of the year. The rules were changed in the middle of the year. I know the average is usually a metal mini or trophy. Kern won almost everything in 2012 and no one said boo.
peyton
 
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:20 am

Re: 2013 Bushwhackers

Postby The Donator » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:55 pm

No slight taken at all calling it a beer league, i doubt a single person would. Its a half beer league, half you know...probably like 95% of leagues everywhere. Definition of casual. I guess the key component were missing here is why AO didnt get his recognition that he deserved. From his earlier posts in this thread he sounded like he had a ton of fun. I know Tanner hated giving up so many strokes each week, but when you are that much better than everyone else and you play in a handicapped league, that is going to happen. The Sutliff BW league plays courses that are soooo much easier than DSM's, so that parity between the leagues makes a difference too. Its much more competitive down here, ill tell everyone from experience. Doesn't matter if you are playing a high or even handicap at any of the courses down here, its tough to win. Just sad to see it swayed AO so much the wrong way...
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
User avatar
The Donator
 
Posts: 6304
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:07 pm
Location: West Des Moines, IA

Re: 2013 Bushwhackers

Postby Chase20460 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:57 pm

Agreed, pretty much on the whole post. Thanks for clarifying what was going on Doug.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
User avatar
Chase20460
 
Posts: 5203
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: 2630 16th St. Moline IL

Re: 2013 Bushwhackers

Postby peyton » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:06 pm

Actually the reason AO won't play again is, I was only 62 strokes short of taking his title. Some people can't take that kind of pressure, someone always breathing down their neck. One mistake and it's over. It's too bad, he had a real shot at being good.
peyton
 
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:20 am

PreviousNext

Return to Iowa City/Cedar Rapids

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron