2013 USDGC

Tournaments in the rest of the non Iowa world

Re: 2013 USDGC

Postby Cydisc » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:56 pm

AO wrote:Pretty devastated. Battled and grinded out the day and was -2 or -3 and took a 9 on 17. Blazek was -6 and took an 11 there. Nobody gets this place until they've played the tournament. Made the mistake of reading dipstick review and quickly reminded myself why I don't go to the website.


I'm not going to pretend I'm in the same league as AO, but I had the privilege of playing this tournament in 2002. While it's not the same course I played, I do remember playing a decent (for me) 1st round and going confident into the 2nd, playing about 4 strokes better through the front 9 and having the wheels fall completely off the wagon in two holes. That was 4 days of the most mind-wrecking golf I've ever played.
User avatar
Cydisc
 
Posts: 2332
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:41 pm
Location: Ames, IA

Re: 2013 USDGC

Postby crazykrug » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:04 pm

heard this might be the first time Climo hasn't cashed in his career :shock: :shock: :shock:
Member of 2010, 2012, 2013 Bushwhacker State Champions
crazykrug
 
Posts: 2007
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 1:24 pm

Re: 2013 USDGC

Postby AO » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:54 pm

Cydisc wrote:
AO wrote:Pretty devastated. Battled and grinded out the day and was -2 or -3 and took a 9 on 17. Blazek was -6 and took an 11 there. Nobody gets this place until they've played the tournament. Made the mistake of reading dipstick review and quickly reminded myself why I don't go to the website.


I'm not going to pretend I'm in the same league as AO, but I had the privilege of playing this tournament in 2002. While it's not the same course I played, I do remember playing a decent (for me) 1st round and going confident into the 2nd, playing about 4 strokes better through the front 9 and having the wheels fall completely off the wagon in two holes. That was 4 days of the most mind-wrecking golf I've ever played.


When the girlfriend has to walk away crying...you know it's awesome. Tank did the same thing yesterday. Doss, Dave and Will had epic fails on one the last round.
Last edited by AO on Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AO
 
Posts: 4313
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:06 pm
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA

Re: 2013 USDGC

Postby AO » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:55 pm

crazykrug wrote:heard this might be the first time Climo hasn't cashed in his career :shock: :shock: :shock:



Heard first time since 88 or 89 and missed by one which btw was $1010. I bet that felt fantastic.
AO
 
Posts: 4313
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:06 pm
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA

Re: 2013 USDGC

Postby grodney » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:54 am

What did you think of the hazard rule? And how did it change your shots, if at all?
User avatar
grodney
 
Posts: 2298
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:08 am

Re: 2013 USDGC

Postby AO » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:05 am

It helped in some spots. Like hole 3 for example I was pin high but just ob. Made a circle 3 when I would have re teed again. But #14 the hazard was the circle...I almost aced but skipped 80ft to the bottom. Normal ob rules I would have had a 25 ft putt rather than a 80 footer. I think it also mattered on 888. If you went ob right side the # was going to be high but if you went ob left over the sidewalk you could save par. Overall, I thought it had good balance. I just can't stand getting hosed on a couple holes each round and it defining/ruining your tournament. Those holes always seemed to change each round as there are hazards/ob on almost every single shot. It also seems like once you get something figured out, you go stupid somewhere else or just get F'd.
AO
 
Posts: 4313
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:06 pm
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA

Re: 2013 USDGC

Postby 3x state champ runner up » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:05 pm

how does mcbeth go from mid 60's to 52?
Adding up scores after league... Greco-"Kerri, you shot 11 up" Kerri- "oh a 65 isn't bad" Greco-"that was the back nine"
User avatar
3x state champ runner up
 
Posts: 1623
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:17 am
Location: Cedar Rapids

Re: 2013 USDGC

Postby Potter » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:07 pm

3x state champ runner up wrote:how does mcbeth go from mid 60's to 52?

Final round he always seems to go into "McBeast" mode.
"I hyzerflip drones, biatch" ~Grimm
User avatar
Potter
 
Posts: 310
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:08 am
Location: Cedar Rapids

Re: 2013 USDGC

Postby The Donator » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:09 pm

Potter wrote:
3x state champ runner up wrote:how does mcbeth go from mid 60's to 52?

Final round he always seems to go into "McBeast" mode.

Hes like shit i cant win, might as well set the course record.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
User avatar
The Donator
 
Posts: 6304
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:07 pm
Location: West Des Moines, IA

Re: 2013 USDGC

Postby Beerman » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:51 pm

Potter wrote:
3x state champ runner up wrote:how does mcbeth go from mid 60's to 52?

Final round he always seems to go into "McBeast" mode.


Was talking to him after the round and he said he missed 4 putts around 30 feet so it could have been a 48 if he hit those.
User avatar
Beerman
 
Posts: 1175
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:12 am
Location: des moines

Re: 2013 USDGC

Postby IHearChains » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:55 am

Another interesting thing on McBeths scorecard on USDGClive.com...he eagled hole 10 four straight times.
IHearChains
 
Posts: 1010
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:09 am
Location: Iowa City

Re: 2013 USDGC

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:57 am

IHearChains wrote:Another interesting thing on McBeths scorecard on USDGClive.com...he eagled hole 10 four straight times.


This hole was key, IMO to Brinster's win. 3 stroke swing on Saturday when he 2'd and Doss took a 5. Then he 2'd it again on Saturday.
User avatar
GDL17921
 
Posts: 8556
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:57 am
Location: on a rock

Re: 2013 USDGC

Postby AO » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:03 am

GDL17921 wrote:
IHearChains wrote:Another interesting thing on McBeths scorecard on USDGClive.com...he eagled hole 10 four straight times.


This hole was key, IMO to Brinster's win. 3 stroke swing on Saturday when he 2'd and Doss took a 5. Then he 2'd it again on Saturday.



Just silly. I tried multiple times in practice to just reach in bounds which the front side is about 480ft. I only got one in, barely. I remember correctly to the basket was 559ft.
AO
 
Posts: 4313
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:06 pm
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA

Re: 2013 USDGC

Postby IHearChains » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:47 am

Caddy book gives that as the distance for the hole, but it must be for taking the conservative route. On the picture it's got a distance indicator showing 474 from basket to tee. Is it slightly uphill? Sometimes hard to tell on the video.

BTW, great set of videos here, all four days, lead card for rounds 2,3,4.

http://www.youtube.com/user/martyhmcgee?feature=watch
IHearChains
 
Posts: 1010
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:09 am
Location: Iowa City

Re: 2013 USDGC

Postby The Donator » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:17 am

Wow those vids are amazing quality
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
User avatar
The Donator
 
Posts: 6304
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:07 pm
Location: West Des Moines, IA

PreviousNext

Return to National Tournaments

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 0 guests