The Only Other "Real" Hobby

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Re: The Only Other "Real" Hobby

Postby O_D » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:04 pm

Got a 6-pack of Bell's Oarsman over weekend. First time I've had it. I like it - kinda like a Sour Light. Could drink a few of them without getting too mouth puck-ery.
Calmer than you are.
O_D

Postby AO » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:41 pm

O_D wrote:
AO wrote:Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA is my favorite beer of the Summer. #2 would probably be Love Child #3. Both are wonderful. Into Citra Hops and Sours right now. Hoping to pick up some tarts while in Madison this weekend.

- I'm with you on the Fresh Squeezed. I think I've gone thru 8-9 bombers now. Anyone see this in 6'rs anywhere is DSM?
- Baitshop last Friday had a sour from Rock Bottom that was pretty unique. Finished with Sutliff Cider (details cloudy-ask Alex Rowan) Almost a salty/tequila-ish front then apple sweetness turning tart? Probably a two glass max, but really worth trying.
- Also figured out all the Monks Cafe I've had in bottles is junk compared to tap. Must lose a lot sitting on the shelves of stores.

Found some on tap the other day at Parlor City in CR as well as Toppling Goliath's Pseudo Sue! The Sue is great. Monks is too sweet for me.
AO

Postby iowapat » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:11 am

AO wrote:Found some on tap the other day at Parlor City in CR as well as Toppling Goliath's Pseudo Sue! The Sue is great. Monks is too sweet for me.

Damn that Sue tasted fresh on Saturday
This gun will not reload, cuz bitch I got extendos...
iowapat

Postby irban » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:41 am

iowapat wrote:Damn that Sue tasted fresh on Saturday

That's what he said.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby AO » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:46 am

irban wrote:
iowapat wrote:Damn that Sue tasted fresh on Saturday

That's what he said.

Lol! I just saw Parlor City is having a Stone tap take over. It's also nice to see bars in the CR area see the success Parlor is having with all these beers so they are trying to keep up. Great for the consumer. I need to go to Mahoney's soon and see what goodies they have. Been a minute since I've been there.
AO

Postby O_D » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:59 pm

Calmer than you are.
O_D

Postby AO » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:46 pm

Found some Crooked Stave in Cedar Rapids. Was able to get Vielle and Hop Savant. Both were solid beers. Love wild ales and saisons!
AO

Postby AO » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:33 pm

Tonight I bought Prairie Artisan's "Merica" and "Standard Ale." Again....love these types of beers...funk, fruit, hop, dry(at times) and sour. Also picked up Upright Brew Co's #4 and #7. Probably won't get to them tonight though.
AO

Postby iowapat » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:13 am

A certain birdie tells me that the bottling line at Toppling Goliath is getting put to work this week...Sosus and Sue

Might be swinging by the Chief's place this weekend for some goodies
iowapat

Postby AO » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:29 pm

iowapat wrote:A certain birdie tells me that the bottling line at Toppling Goliath is getting put to work this week...Sosus and Sue

Yep! Seent it on FB. Love the Sue!
AO

Postby iowapat » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:57 am

AO wrote:
iowapat wrote:A certain birdie tells me that the bottling line at Toppling Goliath is getting put to work this week...Sosus and Sue

Yep! Seent it on FB. Love the Sue!

Excited to check out the first batch of the new XHop series...which is being bottled and a couple kegs are headed to the Chief's house

The Assassin that is currently laying in wait in those Pappy barrels should be getting close...
iowapat

Postby Single L » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:16 am

Clown Shoes Chocolate Sombrero
- Great beer, I really enjoyed it. Not as much ancho chile coming through like I thought it would, but overall a fun and different chocolate stout. Lots of layers of flavor going on. I would definitely buy again.

Tallgrass Wild Plum Farmhouse Ale
- Nothing mind blowing, its a good example of a Saison / Farmhouse ale. The plum adds just enough dark fruit notes to make it a touch different than your average farmhouse ale. It had everything you look for in - bubbly, dry, yeasty, fruity, and a little tartness.

Epic Brewing Co. Straight Up Saison
- Funky, spicy, and crisp. Lemongrass and citrus notes, with a very crisp and light malt backbone, and a dose of sourdough yeasty goodness. Food solid carb to tickle the tongue, but not overly so like some in the style.

Stilwater Folklore
- This is like a RIS / Belgian Dark Ale hybrid. It pours and looks like a Stout and has a lot of those qualities, yest it also has a lot of Belgian characteristics. You get roasty malts, chocolate, coffee, caramel. spice, molasses, and some dark fruit sweetness (cherry, fig, raisin), with a Belgian yeast that gives it yet another layer of depth. It has a nice ABV warmth that lingers a little bit. The smoke is minimally noticed in the bottled version. I had it on tap at EBS and the smoke was very prominent. Overall a very good complex offering from Stillwater.

Bent River Brewing Company Jalapeno Pepper Ale
- It is what it is ....... a chile beer. However I give them credit for not wanting to make it hot for the sake of being a hot chile beer. It's smooth for a chile beer with a lot of fresh Jalapeno notes, some heat and earthiness.

Cervecera Mexicana DOA IPA
- I had to try this, an IPA brewed in Mexico. It got hops, its got bitter, and some caramel maltiness, bit that's about it. It's not a bad IPA, just nothing special. Very average at best.

James Page Brewing Yabba Dhaba Chai Tea Porter
- Aromas of spices, nutmeg, and cardamom. You don't get much roast like a porter. The porter notes come through more on the palate, although a little thin and watery for a porter. Its not a terrible brew, kind of fun really, its like drinking a spice cookie.

James Page Brewing Casper White Stout
- Looks like a wheat beer, tastes like a chocolate stout. It makes you shake your head numerous times because it tastes nothing like it looks. Its malty, creamy, chewy and chocolaty. The only down side is that there is no way you can use chocolate malt in a beer that is white (yellow), so instead of getting smooth chocolaty notes from the malt, you get in your face chocolate extract. I really enjoyed this one, even though the chocolate could have been toned down or a bit more well rounded.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby iowapat » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:02 am

Took a "mental health day" and made a trip to Toppling Goliath...

Nabbed a case of Sosus and a case of Pseudo Sue...

Got my mug club mug filled with the following while I was hanging out and having one last beer with Madison before she moves out to CO Springs:

Zeelander
Pseudo Sue
Belgo Sue (if you get the chance, I highly recommend trying this one)
GNugg (duh!)

Zeelander is ready to bottle...labels are printed, but because of the gov't shutdown, they can't get them approved
iowapat

Postby AO » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:00 am

iowapat wrote:Took a "mental health day" and made a trip to Toppling Goliath...

Nabbed a case of Sosus and a case of Pseudo Sue...

Got my mug club mug filled with the following while I was hanging out and having one last beer with Madison before she moves out to CO Springs:

Zeelander
Pseudo Sue
Belgo Sue (if you get the chance, I highly recommend trying this one)
GNugg (duh!)

Zeelander is ready to bottle...labels are printed, but because of the gov't shutdown, they can't get them approved

Great road trip! Went into a few local breweries and liquor stores in the Charlotte area and several of the guys say they have either traded for or tried to trade for the TG goodies.
AO

Postby AO » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:32 pm

More brews for the cellar..

Sours
The Bruery Saison Rue, Sour in the Rye and Tart of Darkness
Natty Greene's American Sour
Cascade Apricot Ale-this was a Cry Baby in a bottle

Stout
Foothills Sexual Chocolate

Brawley's Beverage in Charlotte is a great place to stop if anyone is in the area. Went back to NoDa Brew Co, hit up Birdsong Brew for the first time and the Common Market. Common was kind of a hippy vibe but people are nice. Then on the way back Mandie and I went to Wicked Weed Brew Co last night. NC has a good thing going for them.
AO

PreviousNext

Return to Stuff