Post questions and comments to Justin McLuen the Iowa State Coordinator

Moderator: Clue

Re: Mensuration

Postby grodney » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:51 am

Cool stats.
grodney

Postby Clue » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:30 pm

diskey river wrote:I think keeping age protected amateur fields makes sense, but I would like to see the Pro field split into 2 ratings based divisions like 970-1000 & 1000+. Just 2 divisions with money on the line.

So ams should be split by age, but pros should be split by ability? The divisions work at much larger tourmaments, but it doesn't make sense to split so many people up who shoot relatively the same at smaller tournaments. A pro2 division could work at an NT, but IMO the pro2 division already exists, it's called Adv. Either get better or accept that you're not a pro player. There's nothing worse than listening to people who want to play the top division but don't want to do the work to be competitive in it.
Clue

Postby Swisher Streets » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:01 pm

A 1000+ division in Iowa would consist of what.. 3 people?
Swisher Streets

Postby Clue » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:10 pm

I can't believe nobody has dogged me on this topic heading. I wasn't sure it totally fit, but I felt like I was gonna make it fit. Thanks to Corey for helping out!

I feel like the bottom line is that there's no way to control the number of tournaments. The market is going to dictate whether someone feels that running a tournament is worth while or not. And as soon as something folds someone else is gonna jump in with some charity/non-sanctioned tournament and fill it right back up again.

The one big idea seems to be combining Masters and Open as much as possible, and that's something I totally support despite me being Masters eligible next year. My thoughts would be to combine at all C tiers and maybe even B tiers with a stipulation that if there's at least 10 of each that they could separate. Also, TDs could put all added cash into the Open only and that would take care of things as well!

If there is an idea that is actionable, I'm all ears and am willing to do what I can to make it happen. A lot of times it has to be on a case by case basis because what works well at one tournament may not at another.
Clue

Postby blkwizardsonny » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:00 am

i feel people are just mad that there isnt twenty guys in open anymore . i dont think they should combine .
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny

Postby Buzzz Killington » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:11 am

What might be helpful is direction on how to fundraise. Added cash brings people in, and I don't mind if that goes 100% to the top div. Usually it's just one TD raising all that. Unfortunate when there are advertising dollars out there, and businesses who WANT in. Tax deductible after all. Shows community support. Problem being that disc golfers seldom bite on the companies that support tournaments. Seems hotels and Walmart are the go-to guys. I know the locals usually, so no hotel for me, and I won't buy Walmart discs, yet they seem to sponsor us a lot. Not to say noobs don't. I do buy other stuff there though. The Cedar Rapids Open tallied $4000 in spending for their 2 day event. Thats all business baby. I just wish it was the companies we naturally support, giving back. Subway, are you listening? Sometimes it is, big shout outs to Keen, Grip, and DD. Sometimes it works, but not in the way you want, i.e. you win a tab at the local bar, but live 2 hrs. away. Anyways, I live in Iowa City, and when I was working downtown we would get fundraisers in ALL the TIME. Asking $250 a lot of the time. Usually you got something in return (advertising of sorts), and tax-deduction (though this requires your club to be a non-profit organization...). It works best when you send in the cute girls lol. But, what I would like to see is a pamphlet, article or talking points explaining how disc golf is local, how we then support the community, and how to benefit from supporting us. If that means we put t-shirts in every players pack, I think thats a good thing. Some of these jabronies at Turkey Creek need them
Buzzz Killington

Postby diskey river » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:53 am

Clue wrote:
diskey river wrote:I think keeping age protected amateur fields makes sense, but I would like to see the Pro field split into 2 ratings based divisions like 970-1000 & 1000+. Just 2 divisions with money on the line.

So ams should be split by age, but pros should be split by ability? The divisions work at much larger tourmaments, but it doesn't make sense to split so many people up who shoot relatively the same at smaller tournaments. A pro2 division could work at an NT, but IMO the pro2 division already exists, it's called Adv. Either get better or accept that you're not a pro player. There's nothing worse than listening to people who want to play the top division but don't want to do the work to be competitive in it.

I know we don't know each other but if this is directed at me, you got me all wrong. I've already stated in this thread that since becoming competitive in Oct 2010 my rating has jumped 70 points and I play 25 ish sanctioned tournies a season. I drive all over the state and support everyone a little and I work 50-60 hours a week. How much more work am I supposed to put in that will enable me to "compete in the top division?"

To me this is a non-issue raised by non cashing pro's, most Am's seem to love all the tournies. I'm just throwing out suggestions & believe in a few short years demand will catch up with supply.

And like Steve A. said, if your crafty, and willing to accept 80-90% for you winnings, there is plenty of cash to be made in Advanced!
diskey river

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:26 am

Here's some mensuration for you Clue - how far is it from Newton to Mt. Pleasant?
GDL17921

Postby claring » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:26 pm

GDL17921 wrote:Here's some mensuration for you Clue - how far is it from Newton to Mt. Pleasant?

about 120miles
claring

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:21 pm

claring wrote:
GDL17921 wrote:Here's some mensuration for you Clue - how far is it from Newton to Mt. Pleasant?

about 120miles

You're not the state coordinator. I want to address the issue with somebody that can actually do something about it. I mean, we elect a SC for something, right?

Now, that being said, if they're within the PDGA set limits, the limits need to be increased. These are the types of issues I would like to see addressed with the PDGA. The PDGA has decreased (all in the name of collecting fees) the mileage limits to where they're practically irrelevant. Second, IMO, the State Coordinator should have the power to get an event UN-sanctioned if somebody chooses to not go through the proper chanels like EVERYBODY else does.
GDL17921

Postby Furniss » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:53 pm

65 at newton and 52 at mount pleasant....117 people playing sanctioned events..would it have been that high with just one? I highly doubt it.
Furniss

Postby 10up » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:56 pm

Having arbitrary mileage limitations is already a bad system. 120 miles in Iowa and 120 miles in Texas are completely different animals.
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:40 pm

Furniss wrote:65 at newton and 52 at mount pleasant....117 people playing sanctioned events..would it have been that high with just one? I highly doubt it.

maybe you should look at the past Newton events then. Go ahead and support Excitement Anthony. I get it, it's in your backyard. Not gonna change my opionion though. Nothing personal.
GDL17921

Postby claring » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:57 pm

I'm just saying but maybe this happened

* Where events are closer than the distances indicated, the higher tiered TD or Tour Manager may elect to have the protected radius waived." (also min distance is 100 for B tiers although it does say radius)

Jay thought you would like this too:

"State Coordinators are responsible for the scheduling of B and C Tier events and should give preference to reliable events with traditional weekends, and then to smaller or new events where there is no scheduling conflict and where the basic terms of sanctioning have been met."
claring

Postby Clue » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:41 pm

diskey river wrote:I know we don't know each other but if this is directed at me, you got me all wrong. I've already stated in this thread that since becoming competitive in Oct 2010 my rating has jumped 70 points and I play 25 ish sanctioned tournies a season. I drive all over the state and support everyone a little and I work 50-60 hours a week. How much more work am I supposed to put in that will enable me to "compete in the top division?"

There's a two-fold problem here. If a 970 player plays pro they are gonna get burned out because they aren't cashing enough to justify playing 20 tournaments, but if they stay in Adv then players below them get frustrated. To me the problem is that no matter what half of the field is playing in the wrong division. And that division may vary depending on the size of the field or tournament.
Clue

PreviousNext

Return to Ask the State Coordinator