course conditions

Re: course conditions

Postby Buzzz Killington » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:34 pm

The city says they will be doing work down there week of 8/19. That's good news, the back needs a mow.
A lot more stuff fell on #2. I spent 5 hrs with 2 chainsaws on holes 2-5. Mostly down on 5 blue.
The bad news is that I did not clean up after myself. I could use some help hauling all that cut up timber off the fairways.
I came back the next morning and weedwhacked holes 5&6 for 3 hrs. #6 is absolutely beautiful. All nettles and thorns are cut out of it. Take advantage.

My legs are covered in poison ivy, my arms look like I've been in a fight with an alley cat, and my back kills from chainsawing Saturday. I'm taking the week off.
Last edited by Buzzz Killington on Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buzzz Killington

Postby Captain » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:53 am

Buzzz Killington wrote:I could use some help hauling all that cut up timber off the fairways.

Let me know when you want to go out; I'll gladly help.
Captain

Postby Buzzz Killington » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:10 am

I'll be out tomorrow (Saturday) starting around 4pm. I'll have a couple saws and a heavy duty weedwhacker running. Probably more whacking to do than cutting, but I could use help hauling timber too. Actually, anything helps. I'll be working till sundown so feel free to drop in anytime. I logged another 1.5 hrs whacking the left of #11 Wednesday.

Wear pants and long sleeves if you plan to whack. I'll have hearing and eye protection for 3.
Buzzz Killington

Postby Buzzz Killington » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:52 pm

Put in 3.5 hrs chainsawlin' Saturday. Thanks to my helpers. Cut up some big stuff. Found a beehive 3/4 way down hole #6 on the left side. Its inside the half tree that leans left. Avoid it. Moved pins on 2, 3, 5, 8.

Future works include: Digging holes for the new signs we have.
Dig in retaining wall behind #5's red pad with the railroad ties. Fill in level with pad.
Dig/sweep out hole #13 red again.

Chainsawing on 12, 13, 14.
Weedwhacking everywhere.
Disposing of cut-up lumber.
Backfill #7's red tee pad.

We'll see what the city accomplishes this week. A mow will be nice
Last edited by Buzzz Killington on Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Buzzz Killington

Postby diskey river » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:28 am

Any chance of adding the putting of Hole 7's red pad back into the ground to the list?
diskey river

Postby Buzzz Killington » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:28 am

More likely you would want to fill dirt up to that level. Added. Saw a city guy this morn at the dog park and asked about some shnizz. Sounded like they either forgot or are backlogged with the opening of Terry Trueblood park this week. He said he'd send a reminder. I said we're desperate for a mow.
Buzzz Killington

Postby IHearChains » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:17 am

Marty thanks again for all your efforts out there, that is a lot of work to cut all that stuff up. If you are thinking of moving the other baskets, here's a vote to keep 6, 10, and 13 in the long... It would be great to keep a couple of par 4 holes available for fall/winter play! Especially after you did so much work to clean up hole 6.
IHearChains

Postby iowapat » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:03 am

Buzzz Killington wrote:I said we're desperate for a mow.

Yeah, talked to Aaron about it Saturday...he's been watering and talking to the trees. Seriously, he's been told to talk to the trees he watering...
This gun will not reload, cuz bitch I got extendos...
iowapat

Postby Buzzz Killington » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:38 pm

I let the chainsaw do all the talking for me. =)
Yeah....still not mowed. 11-16 has grass knee high.

But that didn't stop me from installing a retaining wall behind #5 red. And sweeping/digging out all 36 tee pads. 4hrs total.
Buzzz Killington

Postby saaber » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:20 pm

The grass was mowed today. The course looks great.
Thanks guys for your hard work.
saaber

Postby Captain » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:57 am

Buzzz Killington wrote:I let the chainsaw do all the talking for me. =)
Yeah....still not mowed. 11-16 has grass knee high.

But that didn't stop me from installing a retaining wall behind #5 red. And sweeping/digging out all 36 tee pads. 4hrs total.

You da man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Captain

Postby Buzzz Killington » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:32 pm

Thank you!
and
THE CITY MOWED!!! Thanks to those guys for doing all that

I also put in another 1 1/2hr chainsawlin Tuesday.
Buzzz Killington

Postby Hamer » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:24 pm

Jason and I cleaned up that huge pile of tree debris that was still in the fairway on hole #2. We carried most of it far away from the fairway. We left some of the big limbs near a tree and out of the way because they were too heavy to carry or to roll. We swept off all of the tee pads because they had a lot of dirt on them.

Andy
You can only be offended if you want to be.
Hamer

Postby Buzzz Killington » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:14 am

So my friend found another bee hive on hole #11 in the dead tree at the end of the fairway. He was stung in the mouth. Not fun. I will not kill them, we are guests in their home: the forest, as well that bees might be going extinct, and their importance to nature blah blah blah. I'm working with the city to see if they'll let me relocate these bees to a keeper. We'll see. Until then, avoid it. That hive is busier than LAX. The hive on #6 is just as bad. Pretty soon they'll be dormant and nothing to worry about till Spring.

P.S. This is in the works. The city works with a beekeeper and they will remove these guys soon. Big ups to Parks and Rec
Buzzz Killington

Postby Buzzz Killington » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:17 pm

So I'm headed out this afternoon with some chainsaws to fell 2 dead trees on 10. Probably around 4pm till dark. Could use some help cleaning those up. If I've got the time, I'm building a run-up on 7 red with some railroad ties. Probably will fill it in with sand from 13. If there's help, I wouldn't mind doing a little weedwhacking on 11 (relief cuts in ditch, and farther down near the locust tree on the right) and 12 blue along the drop off. Hell, even 13 on the right could use some lovin'. I plan on being out there sometime Sunday too.

P.S. Did I say 2 trees? I meant like 5. Cleaned up some fallen soldiers and thorns on the right side. Went to 15 and cut out a relief in the willows on the left. Gotta figure out something to do with that pile. No, we can't burn it. Cut up the dead guy on 14's blue tee. 2 1/2 hrs.
Buzzz Killington

PreviousNext

Return to Iowa City - Peninsula Park