Advice and help expanding existing course.

Post questions and comments to Justin McLuen the Iowa State Coordinator

Moderator: Clue

Advice and help expanding existing course.

Postby drjanelson » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:26 pm

My name is Jerry Nelson. My friend, Ron Richardson and I are developing a proposal for expanding the 9 hole course at Opportunity Village, Clear Lake. Board and administration have been receptive of the idea, and we have identified a suitable area for the expansion. Into the fall we want to formalize a plan, develop cost estimates, and feel out funding sources so we can submit this to the board before the end of the year. We need help with best places to get material help for a project like this at a non-profit organization.
Please e-mail me with suggestions. Thank you, Jerry N
drjanelson

Re: Advice and help expanding existing course.

Postby Clue » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:43 pm

drjanelson wrote:My name is Jerry Nelson. My friend, Ron Richardson and I are developing a proposal for expanding the 9 hole course at Opportunity Village, Clear Lake. Board and administration have been receptive of the idea, and we have identified a suitable area for the expansion. Into the fall we want to formalize a plan, develop cost estimates, and feel out funding sources so we can submit this to the board before the end of the year. We need help with best places to get material help for a project like this at a non-profit organization.

Hey Jerry, I have a couple suggestions, but let me ask you a couple of questions first. Do you know who or were you involved with the initial 9 hole installation? If not, anyway to find out? Also, do you know any of the NIT (Northern Iowa Tour) guys, like Mark Skellenger? Just wondering if you've played any of the events in that area. From my perspective it seems like somebody up there is doing a pretty good job around that area. Also, are you happy with the existing 9 holes so it would be simply a matter of adding 9 more, or are you thinking of reworking the existing 9 as part of the plan? There's no magic answer. If you know what kind of baskets are there and want to add 9 of the same it shouldn't be hard to find that number. Concrete isn't terribly expensive and lots of places have been willing to donate leftover concrete when they finish big projects since they're able to write it off. Then tee signs are the same deal as the baskets assuming you go with the same company. Again, don't know who you know up there. I might be able to recommend a couple contacts such as Dale Jordal in Forest City or Mark Skellenger as I mentioned before. There may be others as well. Stay in touch.
Clue

Re: Advice and help expanding existing course.

Postby Skell » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:24 pm

Clue wrote:
drjanelson wrote:My name is Jerry Nelson. My friend, Ron Richardson and I are developing a proposal for expanding the 9 hole course at Opportunity Village, Clear Lake. Board and administration have been receptive of the idea, and we have identified a suitable area for the expansion. Into the fall we want to formalize a plan, develop cost estimates, and feel out funding sources so we can submit this to the board before the end of the year. We need help with best places to get material help for a project like this at a non-profit organization.

Hey Jerry, I have a couple suggestions, but let me ask you a couple of questions first. Do you know who or were you involved with the initial 9 hole installation? If not, anyway to find out? Also, do you know any of the NIT (Northern Iowa Tour) guys, like Mark Skellenger? Just wondering if you've played any of the events in that area. From my perspective it seems like somebody up there is doing a pretty good job around that area. Also, are you happy with the existing 9 holes so it would be simply a matter of adding 9 more, or are you thinking of reworking the existing 9 as part of the plan? There's no magic answer. If you know what kind of baskets are there and want to add 9 of the same it shouldn't be hard to find that number. Concrete isn't terribly expensive and lots of places have been willing to donate leftover concrete when they finish big projects since they're able to write it off. Then tee signs are the same deal as the baskets assuming you go with the same company. Again, don't know who you know up there. I might be able to recommend a couple contacts such as Dale Jordal in Forest City or Mark Skellenger as I mentioned before. There may be others as well. Stay in touch.

I may be able to help out. send me an email at northiowadiscgolfer@hotmail.com
Skell

Return to Ask the State Coordinator