Match Play Championship (Final Revision)

All Tournaments held in the state of Iowa or by Iowa affilitated clubs.

Re: Match Play Championship (Final Revision)

Postby diskey river » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:18 pm

^
Match Play is now just Saturday, so were doing both!
diskey river

Postby Potter » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:16 pm

Hell yeah! Good deal
"I hyzerflip drones, biatch" ~Grimm
Potter

Postby Clue » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:02 pm

laubdog93 wrote:have a few guys in ames that want to play

Lauber, get one and let me know for sure if he's coming. My number is 783-5039.
Clue

Postby Clue » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:03 pm

diskey river wrote:My gf is gonna come caddy and she already said she would play if a spot was void. She is 830 rated but should be able hold her own somewhat in Newton.

I appreciate that. Still gonna try to fill that spot if it doesn't get filled and she wants to play that's awesome!
Clue

Postby Clue » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:25 pm

1 - Clue
16 - TBD

8 - Whitson
9 - Hill

4 - Steffen
13 - Joe T

5 - Weaver
12 - Mott

3 - Sarg
14 - Innis

6 - Claring
11 - C Smith

7 - Lauber
10 - French

2 - Fausch
15 - Jace

A couple things of note, Whitson and Kyle Hill do not have ratings so I thought it worked pretty well sticking them in the 8/9 position against each other. Fausch gets the tie breaker over Sarg because of lower pdga number.
Clue

Postby Clue » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:40 pm

Went up to Newton today and met Doug Hill. He is gracious enough to move pins for us and provide scorecards. Pin positions will be as follows: 1 right, 2 short, 3 normal, 4 right, 5 long, 6 short, 7 long (right), 8 short, 9 long, 10 long, 11 long, 12 normal, 13 left, 14 short, 15 long, 16 short, 17 right and 18 left.

A reminder on how match play works. You simply win, lose, or draw on each hole. Order of play is normal, furthest out throws first. Plan on holing out unless your opponent volunteers a concession. You may concede a hole at any time, but you may not ask for a concession. If you're 3 ft away and your opponent does not offer a pick up then you must play it out. You play until one person is up more holes than there are holes left to play. So, if you're up 3 holes with 2 to play, you win 3&2.

If the match is a draw at the end of 18 holes, you simply continue on to the next hole. If hole 4 was your 18th hole, then proceed to 5 to play out the match. If your match ends early and the other pairing on your card is continuing on you must walk with them to act as a referee.

We'll take a reasonable lunch break after 2nd round so plan on eating well to start the day or bring snacks because I'm gonna start 2nd round fairly quickly after 1st round is complete. Also, it's gonna be fairly hot so bring plenty of fluids. I'm gonna bring a few gallons of water, but you guys need to be prepared.

Finally, we are teeing off at 9am, meeting at 8:45. I'd like everyone to check in by 8:30. I'll be hanging around hole 1 or 4 in the parking lot. I'll be in the silver honda civic. If I'm running around for any reason, my gf Sheila will be around. See you all Saturday!
Clue

Postby Buzzznation » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:13 am

Chucking Sick. I feel so lucky to be a part the inaguaral match play championships.
Anyone else want to have a bracket challenge?
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby discgolfduval » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:43 am

Im with you Buzz. Couldnt be more excited! Could be bigger but things should flow smoothly tomorrow and hell 16 people will prolly be one of the biggest fields Ive played in all year still. Im down with a little August Madness if you can print a few sheets off for tomorrow.
discgolfduval

Postby laubdog93 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:23 pm

I would be up for a little bracket challenge. We putting money on it?
laubdog93

Postby Buzzznation » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:06 pm

laubdog93 wrote:I would be up for a little bracket challenge. We putting money on it?

$5. I'll print stuff off for tommorow morning pre round but feel free to prepare your own before the am. I haven't ran a bracket before, so for the points:

RD1 - 2
RD2 - 4
Semis - 8
Champion - 16

Tie Break predict final match score (2&1 Ect.)

Look okay?
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby Clue » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:08 pm

Looks like Rusty Channon is gonna fill the last spot. Adjust your brackets accordingly!
Clue

Postby blkwizardsonny » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:26 pm

heard it went fausch clue steffen and tyler 1234
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny

Postby Clue » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:11 pm

Almost straight chalk until the final 9. Carter Smith was the only 1st round upset over Claring. I had a big emotional letdown after an AOesque effort against Steffen in the semi-final match. Fausch played solid all day and certainly earned his title. He might've benefitted from a slightly easier draw, but Jace put up a fight and Lauber, Sarg, and myself were no pushovers. But I'm not sure any of us really put any pressure on him.

I'm super excited about the response and comments. It really is a fun format and I'm glad people enjoyed it. I definitely hope to make this a bigger event and try to get many more players involved. Big thanks to Doug Hill who moved baskets and provided scorecards, Claring who donated CTP prizes, and of course the 15 other players who made the trip! I also appreciate the interest people had who followed on facebook. It gives me hope that this can become the tournament I envisioned.

I'll post more specifics about the other matches. I left the scorecards in the car. But if memory serves the 10 and 11 seeds, Joe French and Carter Smith, made the money as well as Grant Weaver and Joe T or maybe Whitson?!? The 1-1 matches were do or die playing for $25 that final round.

Finally, and I'm definitely going to start preaching this a BUNCH, but we were done with 36 holes at around 12:30. People laughed when I suggested skipping lunch breaks at smaller tournaments on reasonable sized courses, but seriously if you start at 9 or even 9:30 and take just enough time to shuffle cards and go right back out for second round, tournaments could easily finish by 1:30-2:00. I love eating as much as the next guy, and I'm old, cranky, and like my breaks, but I really liked getting right back out and going again. Fausch was laughing at the fact that in a normal tournament we would've only played 18 in the same amount of time!
Clue

Postby 3x state champ runner up » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:03 pm

Yeah, a normal tournament with 90 players and muliple ability divisions. Not just 16 seasoned players
camping in humbolt 2013 - greco: "why is there so much water in my tent?" bernie: "sweat and tears greco, sweat and tears"
3x state champ runner up

Postby claring » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:03 pm

laubdog93 wrote:I would be up for a little bracket challenge. We putting money on it?

Results
claring

PreviousNext

Return to Iowa Tournaments