Eli Karstens Memorial Tournie benefitting Brady O'Niel Sep 7

All Tournaments held in the state of Iowa or by Iowa affilitated clubs.

Eli Karstens Memorial Tournie benefitting Brady O'Niel Sep 7

Postby Detra319 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:29 pm

The Grinnell Disc golf Club is helping me put together a memorial tournament for my son Eli. We are going to donate all of the proceeds of the tournament to Joe O'Niel (Average on the boards, Average Joe to most of us discers) whose son has been diagnosed with leukemia.

The tournament will be held at Miller Park in Grinnell on September 7th.

Cost - $25 for all players which includes supper

We will have a round starting at 3pm, then break for supper, then we will play a glow round after dinner. We will make sure to have glow sticks on site for people for their discs.

There will be a raffle with tons of prizes in it, and all of the proceeds will go directly to the O'Niel family. We ALL know that disc golfers have huge hearts. I found that out last year with all the support that you guys showed me when I was going through everything with my son Eli.

There will be tons of discs for the raffle, and I am trying to set up a large list of ctps and other prizes for people as well. Serta has indicated that they will donate a new mattress to us, so we will probably have a silent auction on the side for that. I will update that as more information comes in. Monica Hudnut is the lady who is directly responsible for getting this ball rolling, and you will definitely see her at the tournament, so if you do please make sure to give her thanks because she is a great, selfless lady. Feel free to pm me with questions, I will add more information as it comes in.
The finial... Even with no clouds!
Detra319

Re: Eli Karstens Memorial Tournie benefitting Brady O'Niel S

Postby Detra319 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:38 pm

We have gotten quite a few discs donated for the raffle that we will be having. Serta has also confirmed that they are donating a mattress, so we will be having a silent auction for that as well. I will get some pictures up of the discs that we have been donated here soon.
Detra319

Postby Detra319 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:34 pm

The bed that serta donated is pretty amazing. The have stepped up with a King sized Applause pillow top bed. I have seen these listed anywhere from 1500 to 1800 dollars on the web and we hopefully get some good money for Joe and Brady and whoever wins the auction will get a fantastic bed too!
Detra319

Postby blkwizardsonny » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:41 pm

very cool adam hope you raise a good ammount .
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny

Postby Detra319 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:52 pm

Me too man hopefully someone gets an amazing bed and they will be giving money to a great cause at the same time.

Titan disc golf shop has said they will donate some items as well. Joe French has donated some discs, along with Andy Greco, Rob Mumma, and Adam Stiers has put together a nice collection of 6 discs as well. Things are coming together!
Detra319

Postby Captain » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:47 am

I can't make it to the event Adam, can I still get in on the silent auction for the mattress?
Captain

Postby Detra319 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:17 pm

Yes. I will accept silent bids via PM text or email. Phone is 319 241 4423. My email is thebrigg@hotmail.com

Payments must be made via paypal the night of the auction to ensure everyone has a fair crack at it and so we make sure to sell the bed.
Detra319

Postby Detra319 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:01 am

Got some really nice donations yesterday from some of the cool cats at Shueys. Mr 30acre himself stepped up with a large (and I do mean large) cash donation for Brady and his family, while Greco donated a first run star stamped max weight boss for the raffle ($90+ on ebay right now) as well as some sick plastic from KVN. Lots more goodies coming here in the next week, I will keep everyone updated as they come in. Hope to see you there in 2 weeks!
Detra319

Postby Detra319 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:55 pm

More donations rolling in...cant wait. This will be a good way to get prepared for Elis first birthday with him gone. Hopefully I can turn a sad occasion into something good for someone else.
Detra319

Postby Detra319 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:59 pm

See everyone tomorrow! Cant wait!
Detra319

Postby Detra319 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:52 am

What a fantastic day for a great cause with some great people playing a great game! Many many props go to Monica Hudnut and her husband Ryan for the amazing turnout and incredible amount of money that we were able to raise for Brady and his family.

The mattress that Serta donated was auctioned for 600 dollars and delivered. Good deal huh? Monica raised a ton of money locally, tthe raffle went off quite well also. We had a few side many games that also got some more cash raised. By the end of the day Monica was able to present Joe with a check of $2600. Say that again. $2600 from some disc golfers, most of whom dont really know my son Eli or Joe or his son Brady.

I wanted to at least post some of the info quick. I will update it later with the winners results and some more props and shout outs to those who donated. Thank you Grinnell disc golf club, you guys are amazing. Thanks Anthony for running the events during the day.

Time to make Jude happy since I forced him to disc golf all day yesterday. I will post more later!
Detra319

Postby Buzzz Killington » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:44 pm

Good work! Hats off to you sir
Buzzz Killington

Postby DLCdisc » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:29 pm

I am glad this went well. Wish I could have made it.
DLCdisc

Postby Detra319 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:39 pm

First off we need to thank Monica Hudnut, because without her this idea would never have happened. She followed my son's journey through treatment and the unfortunate events that happened after, and fell in love with him. Her husband Ryan is a disc golfer, and she wanted to help me out in a way that I love, which is through disc golf. She brought the idea to the local Grinnell disc golf club, and this event was born. I had never met Monica in person until the day of the tournament, which shows you the power of my son's smiles.

She tirelessly raised money locally and was able to get every single hole sponsored for the tournament, as well as tons of raffle prizes and other donation such as for the silent auction. My brother Matthew asked his company Serta to donate a mattress, which we ended up getting $600 for, which is awesome. Adam Stiers donated some very sick plastic for the auction, as well as Brock Niichei, KVN, Rob Mumma, and Drew Detert. Shane Thirtyacre made a very nice donation in cash towards the tourney, and last but not least Titan donated several discs too the raffle as well.

We had quite a turnout, even though I never got an official number from Anthony or Monica, I would guess it was upwards of 25 people who all came and donated $25 to our cause. We had side games such as a long drive competition, a quick ace race round, and then we had a glow round after all of that. I didn't pull out of the parking lot until 11pm. A long, fun, exhausting day.

But, as I was leaving, Ryan and Monica and I agreed that we should do this again next year. Maybe we will pick a specific family to sponsor again, or we will pick a deserving charity. Either way I know that my son's amazingly giving spirit will live on, making yet another person smile. Thanks everyone for showing up, it means alot.
Detra319

Postby Abe Froman » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:20 pm

for you to turn and say you wanted the funds to go to Joe and Brady is nothing short of one of the most stand up gestures i have ever seen. you have no idea how much that meant to Joe and his family and me as well. i commend your kindness and have much respect for you and your family. i know Eli is proud of you, you're a good man my friend
Abe Froman

Next

Return to Iowa Tournaments