Match Play Championship (Final Revision)

All Tournaments held in the state of Iowa or by Iowa affilitated clubs.

Match Play Championship (Final Revision)

Postby Clue » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:43 am

Guys, we have roughly 16 players. I'm totally in for doing this still, but we're going with 16 players and Saturday only. I'm going to reduce the entry to $30. 3 rounds of 18 hole matches with the finals TBD* by final 2 players.

Here's how it will work. If you win your first 2 matches and lose your 3rd, you will get $40 back. If you go lose-win-win or win-lose-win, you get $20 back. If you go 0-2 you are eliminated. If I'm doing the math right, that leaves $300 for 1st and 2nd to be paid out as $200 and $100 unless they cut a deal. In the event both players are tired, I'm going to ask that they play at least 9 holes to determine a champion. I'm hoping this will pick up in years to come and I hope to have a trophy down the round documenting all champions.

Anyone who is not happy with the format who has paid is absolutely welcome to a refund. I'm going to say we need at least 14 players but no more than 16 players at this point. If we get 14 or 15 players the 1st and/or 2nd highest seed will get a 1st round bye. Let's plan on making a determination by Wed whether everyone who has either paid or has said they are coming is still in. I'm optimistic and this will still be a fun tournament, so hang in there!

Also, gonna start at 9 to make sure we have plenty of time. There will be very little to do in the morning. Gotta sort out a few bucks with a few people, but cards will be ready to go. I'll post the match play rules and have the course info ready to go in a couple days. Gotta get pins figured out this week.
Last edited by Clue on Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Clue

Re: Match Play Championship (Final Revision)

Postby blkwizardsonny » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:44 am

go ahead and take me off clue thx
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny

Postby Like_Water » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:52 am

So the one day will be a Saturday?
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby The Donator » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:25 am

On the fence for this one...
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby Buzzznation » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:55 pm

Seriously? Does Iowa play Iowa State that weekend? I know it's still a week out but how has this not gotten more entry's? This is the best thing to come to the state since the Walnut Ridge Retro.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby discgolfduval » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:19 pm

Yep, Im with you Buzz. I dont quite get why this hasn't caught on more either. Football doesnt even start till the next week.
discgolfduval

Postby shak » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:47 pm

Count me among the surprised although it seems like people don't pre-register for anything very often. Maybe 40 people will want to sign up at Walnut this weekend and it will go back to 64 people. I hope so.
shak

Postby Carter45145 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:17 pm

This is disappointing. There was a lot of buzz about this at the begining of the year. What happened?
Will players who registered well in advance be refunded if they decide not to play because of the format change?
Last edited by Carter45145 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can't criticize our smile...
Carter45145

Postby blkwizardsonny » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:51 pm

maybe its the change of format a week before the tourney .i feel that match play should be a full rd like it is in ball golf just my opinion then to change it to 32 a week before event is weak . let me have it everyone :mrgreen: :mrgreen: if it stayed 18 holes i would be onboard .better for yall good luck
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny

Postby claring » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:03 pm

blkwizardsonny wrote:maybe its the change of format a week before the tourney .i feel that match play should be a full rd like it is in ball golf just my opinion then to change it to 32 a week before event is weak . let me have it everyone :mrgreen: :mrgreen: if it stayed 18 holes i would be onboard .better for yall good luck

Duden quit your bitching. You should be used to not playing a complete round by now
claring

Postby The Donator » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:10 pm

blkwizardsonny wrote:maybe its the change of format a week before the tourney .i feel that match play should be a full rd like it is in ball golf just my opinion then to change it to 32 a week before event is weak . let me have it everyone :mrgreen: :mrgreen: if it stayed 18 holes i would be onboard .better for yall good luck

Kind of what I was thinking too. I hate 12 hole matches. Would like a full 64-man field. And I hate Newton lol. Glad Clue is doing it and hope i can still play but not sure why it didnt take off like i thought it would too.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby blkwizardsonny » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:41 pm

claring wrote:

Duden quit your bitching. You should be used to not playing a complete round by now

fvck off ya fat fvck when last time you seen me quit a rd . besides the one ern posted on gaybook .hope your beard gets caught in an escalator :P :P
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny

Postby blkwizardsonny » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:43 pm

it will take off after the first one once everyone sees how cool match play is .
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny

Postby Carter45145 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:39 pm

The Donator wrote:

Kind of what I was thinking too. I hate 12 hole matches. Would like a full 64-man field. And I hate Newton lol. Glad Clue is doing it and hope i can still play but not sure why it didnt take off like i thought it would too.
Lindsley makes a good point...for once. You only hate Newton because chunked every shot last year during BSD. Clue won't be able to carry you in the matchplay :P :lol:

Is it set in stone that it will only be one day with 12 hole rounds?
Can't criticize our smile...
Carter45145

Postby 3x state champ runner up » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:05 pm

Change right before the event isn't always the best, going from two days and 64 spots to half that is pretty disappointing. I think at this point you should scratch the whole thing, plan on next year and making it 32 people, invite only (by whatever criteria), single elimination, 20.00 entry, and pay out the top 8. I would do a pro and am and just have two
tournaments because it doesn't take a scientist to know who's going to be at the top. This whole sign up if you want to play defeats the purpose anyway. Have there be 4 qualifing tournaments, majors if you will. The doom, rumble, challenge, and one more, and make it for iowans only. I get guys like sprague and chase are awesome. But how silly is it the award the first Iowa match play champion crown to an out of stater. I like it clue, I think it's a fun new format and I'm sure it will be successful.

This will be our third year of doing the bushwhacker tournament and I think people are more excited about drinking out of the trophy than winning any money. With having 64 guys this year our brackets will be perfect. However, I know some can't play which means first round byes which I'm ok with because It's totally random. Plus you get your handicap and it's only 5 bucks to play!
Last edited by 3x state champ runner up on Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adding up scores after league... Greco-"Kerri, you shot 11 up" Kerri- "oh a 65 isn't bad" Greco-"that was the back nine"
3x state champ runner up

Next

Return to Iowa Tournaments