Foot fault question - from behind a disc

Post questions and comments to Justin McLuen the Iowa State Coordinator

Moderator: Clue

Foot fault question - from behind a disc

Postby KePP » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:52 pm

In the 2013 Disc Golf Hall of Fame Classic there was a foot fault called on Garrett Gurthie - here is the link to the spot in the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... _Eo&t=1407

When I look at Garrett's foot placement, I see the front of his shoe within (very close) the diameter of behind the disc.

Please help clarify what the rule is for determining this. PDGA rules 802.03 and 802.04 do not seem clear on this to me, I am probably missing something. The majority of folks on dgcoursereview forum seem to agree with the call.

Also - if Garrett didn't think he foot faulted, but Nikko said he did - what are Garrett's options at that point?
KePP

Re: Foot fault question - from behind a disc

Postby Clue » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:19 am

Looks like a foot fault to me. Your foot can't be behind any part of the disc, it has to be on the one molecule wide line that goes from the target through the middle of the disc. So some part of your point of contact has to be behind the center line of the disc.
Clue

Postby Clue » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:23 am

KePP wrote:Also - if Garrett didn't think he foot faulted, but Nikko said he did - what are Garrett's options at that point?

IMO, there are two ways to proceed. If there's any actual evidence (footprint, video, etc...) then I'd do my best to document it and play a provisional. If it's simply opinion vs opinion and I thought I was clearly right but didn't have evidence I would get the TD and stand aside until I could get the ruling straight from him.
Clue

Postby tufluk » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:28 am

Was it "seconded"?
tufluk

Postby cgkdisc » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:17 am

No second required any more for the first warning call. Only need a second for the second foot fault call. Thrower cannot originate first foot fault call nor second a second call.
cgkdisc

Postby Swisher Streets » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:58 am

tufluk wrote:Was it "seconded"?

Feldberg seconded the call

Funny part about that video is right after the last putt of the round Wysocki shakes GGs hand then turns to shake Nikkos and GG holds him back.
Yeah Team Prodigy.
Swisher Streets

Postby KePP » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:46 am

Clue wrote:it has to be on the one molecule wide line that goes from the target through the middle of the disc. So some part of your point of contact has to be behind the center line of the disc.

That's what I was looking for - thank you.
KePP

Postby cgkdisc » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:53 am

In this particular case, it's kind of a dicey call to make unless the player is clearly off line since the line of play is blind on that shot. At the speed things happen, I'm not sure I would have called it since GG was so close to on line after seeing it in slo-mo. BTW, video evidence is not yet allowed but I'm hopeful that will be changed within the next year.
cgkdisc

Postby grodney » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:04 pm

cgkdisc wrote:In this particular case, it's kind of a dicey call to make unless the player is clearly off line since the line of play is blind on that shot.

Is that not the band that I see in the background? It's clearly visible in Ricky's shot. Is it not in GG's?
grodney

Postby irban » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:26 pm

grodney wrote:
cgkdisc wrote:In this particular case, it's kind of a dicey call to make unless the player is clearly off line since the line of play is blind on that shot.

Is that not the band that I see in the background? It's clearly visible in Ricky's shot. Is it not in GG's?

From where his shot went, maybe he was throwing at the wrong basket. Looked like a shot I would throw.

I have noticed a lot of footfaults lately, stepping to the right of the disk and such, often on every shot. Since they aren't tournaments, I would typically not say anything until the end of the round, but I got tired of doing it even then. It used to seem like everyone was pretty solid on the marker rules, they're pretty straightforward. I wonder what changed.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby 10up » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:20 am

irban wrote:It used to seem like everyone was pretty solid on the marker rules, they're pretty straightforward. I wonder what changed.

irban wrote:I would typically not say anything until the end of the round, but I got tired of doing it even then
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby irban » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:58 am

10up wrote:
irban wrote:It used to seem like everyone was pretty solid on the marker rules, they're pretty straightforward. I wonder what changed.

irban wrote:I would typically not say anything until the end of the round, but I got tired of doing it even then

True. I'm getting sick of picking up cans too, so I guess that will change as well.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby 10up » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:30 pm

probably will. The only hope is that you can mentor enough little irbanlings. Then there will always be those who drag carts and trashbags all over the courses.

Even then the sport will probably grow at a greater rate than anyone will be able to turn out intelligent players... Park sport..
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Return to Ask the State Coordinator