course codition

course codition

Postby Burr oak savanna » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:39 am

Big flood yesterday but it is just a one day event. Going to be wet but not alot o
f standing water. The holes that will be the worst are 5 9 and 10.not telling you to come but if you do its playable. The longer you wait the better. I hope
Burr oak savanna

Re: course codition

Postby Burr oak savanna » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:15 am

O.k. the course and weather is finally decent. Marty and Steve put in tee pad on optional 18,Ron been doing some little things(picking up limb, wire and burning.) All ways more to do but you can really enjoy the course now. Going to have to motw soon. NICE
Burr oak savanna

Postby Burr oak savanna » Wed May 08, 2013 6:07 pm

It's taken alot longer then I hoped but we are finally green . grass and trees are starting to leaf out. Had to mow a few times already and new seeding is slow but coming . Good news with cool weather not many bugs
Burr oak savanna

Postby Burr oak savanna » Thu May 09, 2013 11:08 am

As of now
On Tuesday May 14 Channel 2 out of Cedar Rapids will have a live remote from Burr Oak Savanna
between 5 and 8 in the morning.
They would like to see some players. I think I have some Titan reps coming but all are invited.Free golf that morning and I will fire up the grill for bacon egg sandwiches also free
Burr oak savanna

Postby Buzzz Killington » Sat May 11, 2013 7:57 am

5 in the morning wholy cow!

But then again.....free breakfast :P
Buzzz Killington

Postby OttoAce » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:40 pm

how is the course lookin?? i hear its a jungle out there... any flooding goin on??
OttoAce

Postby Burr oak savanna » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:20 pm

It is looking like I envisoned some water where it should n't be but overall I think it is in pretty good shape. You will want to stay in the mowed fairway. Consider tall grass out off bound if you want a technical challenging round
Burr oak savanna

Postby Burr oak savanna » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:06 pm

The course is now looking like I want.All seeding is growing and mowed.The cool weather grasses are going to seed so they are at their peak. Warm weather grass and forbs will be near the end of june thru July. The oaks are in full leaf and even with all the rain insects don't seem to be a problem. If you came out early you need to come now to see what has changed.
Bring the family and don't forget disc golf and a meal the last friday of the month.
Burr oak savanna

Postby Burr oak savanna » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:20 am

No flooding yet but way more water then we need.Going to cancel Disc golf and a meal this month June 28.
Burr oak savanna

Postby Burr oak savanna » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:04 am

Disc golf and a meal Friday july 26.
Course is as pretty as it will get if you haven't been here in the last couple month you will sure see the change.
The grass in the out of bounds are headed out and going dorment and the wild flowers are in bloom.I tell everyone that it cost to go out of bounds so don't. Fairways are plenty wide. One guy told me it sure makes you a better player, that is what I think also. Just for full disclosure I don't play my self, however the competiveness in me say control over distance will win. Just my thoughts on how the course is mowed.
Burr oak savanna

Postby Conrad 37988 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:32 pm

I played the course today, well, I played 12 holes before walking off the course in frustration. Every pad needed trimming, as well as around most baskets. Also paths between holes/fairways where just not there/needed mowing. Hole 7 between the pad and the mowed fairway is the best example of this. It was nice to see grass on the holes that used to be corn fields.

15's Tee

12's Tee

Forgot your ditch weed? Don't worry, Hole 7's basket has got you covered.
Conrad 37988

Postby Burr oak savanna » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:20 am

Sorry. You didn't mention but there 18 holes and all the fairway have been mowed . NO EXCUSS I am suppose to have some helpers to keep up with what you pointed out. Bad back and other excuses don't get the job done. I am disappointed in the use of the course, a lot of the things you point out would go away with more traffic. We have only been open 4 months I have to remind myself of that all the time. My priorities have been the briers and fairways as they get done I will have more time for the other. Sorry again
Burr oak savanna

Postby blkwizardsonny » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:13 pm

tough to maintain a course. feel bad for ya for the negatives kurt has brought up , but they are just constructive critism .hopefully you will get more players in the future to make you feel great about opening the course . takes time
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny

Postby Burr oak savanna » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:10 pm

I have no problems with Kurts statement he's right for advid golfers. Its the chicken or the egg problem.
In the last 3 weeks 15,last 2 weeks 5 and last week 2 players. I don't mind the out of bound grass tall, stay out.
But I try to keep the fairway mowed so no one loses disc in the fairway .I mow all fairways every week but on a given day some are a week tall. The biggest difference between a savanna and a timber is that everything grow fast weeds and grass will grow a foot a week or faster. If very few people come how much time and money do I spend to keep it perfect and if it is not perfect how many people will come????? I think I need to revaluate keeping all 18 open during the summer and after the killing frost open them all up for Fall, winter, spring.. I know it is a pay to play course so for now if you want some nature,camping and casual golf it is still worth 3 dollars to play. I just don't see how I can keep it good enough for everybody. Again only been open 4 months so by next year I may have it under control.
Burr oak savanna

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:18 pm

Just a suggestion....I know that it's a lot of work for one person to keep up on all that. Maybe instead of or in addition to the last Friday deal where you offer lunch, you have a work day, where you offer people lunch, maybe some beer, to come out and weed whack and do some light trimming - whatever needs to be done - help with general upkeep other than the mowing. Maybe offer a coupon for a free day of golf for those that show up to help. You would be surprised what can be accomplished with about 10 motivated discers and a some good leadership.
GDL17921

Next

Return to Shellsburg - Burr Oak Savannah