Sanctioning HWY 69 DUBS?

All Tournaments held in the state of Iowa or by Iowa affilitated clubs.

sanction doubles tournaments?

sanction yes
4%
sanction no
74%
don't care
22%

Total votes : 23

Sanctioning HWY 69 DUBS?

Postby claring » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:51 pm

What's everyone's thoughts on sanctioning doubles events. I was thinking about not doing it this year
Please vote/let me know what you think
claring

Re: Sanctioning HWY 69 DUBS?

Postby diskey river » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:22 pm

I have never understood the benefit besides paying the pdga for no reason, the round ratings don't actually count correct?
diskey river

Postby blkwizardsonny » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:26 pm

no ratings dont count . insurance maybe?
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny

Postby Beerman » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:20 pm

The only thing the players get are points, which don't reay matter any more.

For me personaly, I sanction events so tha I can get the insurance. Just in case someone gets hurt.
Beerman

Postby blkwizardsonny » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:45 pm

does that cover someone who punches a tree ? :mrgreen:
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny

Postby Beerman » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:35 am

Only if you tell the ER doc that you hit the tree on your follow thru
Beerman

Postby The Donator » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:46 am

When was the last time someone got hurt in a tournament where this would apply?
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby Grimm » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:49 am

The Donator wrote:When was the last time someone got hurt in a tournament where this would apply?

The next tournament that doesn't have it. :lol: I think a waiver would probably do just the same but waivers can also be tore apart by lawyers.
50 lashes for drinking the groups whiskey isn't steep.
Grimm

Postby Skell » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:57 pm

The Donator wrote:When was the last time someone got hurt in a tournament where this would apply?

We ran a tournament in February, and a dude fell on the ice, completely shattered his lower leg (broken in four or five places), and a broken bone in the foot also. Had to have an ambulance show up at the course and take him to the hospital, surgury the next day to put everything back together with rods, plates, and screws.

Just fell awkwardly and landed on his leg, doesn't take just ice for someone to fall. Players can get tripped up on tee pads or other objects on the course, and fall down when they are throwing.

One reason why I think we are looking at sanctioning all of our events next year and going forward, for the insurance, to cover our butts.
Skell

Postby Swisher Streets » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:58 pm

Skell wrote:

We ran a tournament in February, and a dude fell on the ice, completely shattered his lower leg (broken in four or five places), and a broken bone in the foot also. Had to have an ambulance show up at the course and take him to the hospital, surgury the next day to put everything back together with rods, plates, and screws.

Just fell awkwardly and landed on his leg, doesn't take just ice for someone to fall. Players can get tripped up on tee pads or other objects on the course, and fall down when they are throwing.

One reason why I think we are looking at sanctioning all of our events next year and going forward, for the insurance, to cover our butts.

For people that have been around the disc golf scene much longer than myself, have you ever heard of a situation where a person pursued legal action after an accident taking place during a tournament?
Swisher Streets

Postby Buzzz Killington » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:16 pm

It was Summerfest '10 when Joe Dolan died during the beginning of the second round. They brought in the amberlamps and then life-flighted him out. The two men on his card gave the man CPR until the ambulance came, which was 1/2 hr? They, as well as half the field quit after that.

Joe passed unfortunately. I don't think I've ever seen Shane so worried as to what to do. Thankfully, it wasn't a situation where the family felt that anyone was at fault.

Insurance...sometimes helpful, mostly not. There is something called "assumed risk" when you play sports, and you don't even need to sign anything for you to have assumed that risk. Say Bushwhackers didn't cancel league night during a storm and someone gets hit by lighting. You can't sue. First, there is no organization suitable to sue. President/committee members don't count, even though they are elected officials of league. Second, as soon as you set foot in the parking lot, you have assumed a certain amount of risk that you are now responsible for. It covers all basic elements such as being hit with a disc, slipping and falling, tree falls and damages stuff, etc. Something such as a fight would not be a part of your assumed risk.

Waivers are fine. Keep em short, logically sound, and understandable to the layman and you won't have any problems in court.
Buzzz Killington

Postby Grimm » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:44 pm

Buzzz Killington wrote:You can't sue.

But you can sue for basically anything you to want these days. Some jerk hole lawyer will take it and some idiot judge will hear it.

http://lawsuit.no/atte-golf_court.html
50 lashes for drinking the groups whiskey isn't steep.
Grimm

Postby The Donator » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:56 pm

Buzzz Killington wrote: Waivers are fine. Keep em short, logically sound, and understandable to the layman and you won't have any problems in court.

Dont think you can just make up your own waiver, have people sign it, then you are all good. A public defender could get around that. But yeah if you get hurt during a non-sanctioned tourney and sue the TD (without major reason) you'd be blacklisted from Iowa disc golf. There would be some that would do it though.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby Peil » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:22 pm

Skell wrote:We ran a tournament in February...

We didn't run that tournament - that was a Flying Lea tournament. (Further covering our butts.) :lol:
Peil

Postby 3x state champ runner up » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:01 pm

Our bushwhacker sign up sheet has a waiver included in it. I'm pretty sure I got it off the Internet and just because league bought you a six pack for a prize doesn't mean we made you do six d burns bottle bongs and drive home. That owi is your fault.

By the way, our waiver also lists 911 as everyones emergency contact.
Adding up scores after league... Greco-"Kerri, you shot 11 up" Kerri- "oh a 65 isn't bad" Greco-"that was the back nine"
3x state champ runner up

Next

Return to Iowa Tournaments