J&B Rollings Hills Doubles

All Tournaments held in the state of Iowa or by Iowa affilitated clubs.

Re: J&B Rollings Hills Doubles

Postby Beerman » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:48 am

Thank you for the feedback and my appologies for the pond joke.

This wasn't my first time running a tournament so I take full blame for their not being water on the course Saturday. I should have done better and it won't happen again.

As for the extended time over luch, I think that the last card in on both days got around 50-55 minutes for lunch. Darkness was not a factor so I allowed them to have decent break betwen rounds, I understood that it would make for a long lunch for the cards turned in early and I was ok with that as there are plenty of ways to avoid the heat.

Payouts, I will almost always pay half the field in ams, I'm not a pro and didnt know that a 40% payout is prefered in pro divisions, I will talk to a few pro players around hear and get feedback.

As for the smoking deal I sent you a PM to handle that in private.

Again, thanks for your feedback and I hope that my responses were acceptable.
Beerman

Postby diskey river » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:06 am

Non-smoking courses on college campus' isn't anything new. Your seriously going to bitch about a TD ensuring we are welcomed back to a course? And Iowa has been rainy and wet and cool all summer. This was the first hot weekend, and in no way are the TD's responsible for you having water at a small C Tier. Staying hydrated is YOUR problem.

Beery's did an awesome job this weekend! I had an awesome time and my only gripe is with my playing.
diskey river

Postby really » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:12 am

diskey river wrote:Non-smoking courses on college campus' isn't anything new. Your seriously going to bitch about a TD ensuring we are welcomed back to a course? And Iowa has been rainy and wet and cool all summer. This was the first hot weekend, and in no way are the TD's responsible for you having water at a small C Tier. Staying hydrated is YOUR problem.

Beery's did an awesome job this weekend! I had an awesome time and my only gripe is with my playing.

agreed.
DGA
really

Postby Buzzz Killington » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:18 am

You sound like you need to hear this from my dad, "Worry about yourself."
You brought your own water. Wise indeed. You got caught smoking. Not sure how griping or snitching will solve your problem (if it were one). Take your slap on the wrist instead of a DQ, and try to be more discreet next time, or don't smoke on a course that doesn't allow it, your choice.

Personally, I'm not a fan of water/gatorade on the course. Somebody has to pay for it, ice it, and haul it when you should have brought your own. Really, I'm not a fan of much that increases pay-in and not pay-out. Also I'm not down for long lunch breaks, or paying 1/2 the field. Winners should get more for being the best of the day and peeps who finish in the middle of obscurity deserve nothing (which is often me). When I want a tournament run my way, I'll do just that. When I want to do nothing but show up, I come prepared.
Last edited by Buzzz Killington on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buzzz Killington

Postby Beerman » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:22 am

Sloooow down people. I like negative feedback, its one of the best ways for people to grow and get better at what they do. Plus tank is right, I should have made sure there was water on the course. Let the smoking deal go, I am certain that tank and I will work that out.

He is a GREAT ambassador for our sport and gives a lot of time and energy as well. He had some things to vent and he did. There are no hard feeling on this end and if anyone else has something that they want to vent please do so.
Beerman

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:24 am

I hear what you're saying guys - but in this day and age of tourneys every weekend, where there's choices, players are going to make decisions based on the quality of events run, so the feedback is a good way to make good events better. The last thing we want is the Kansas City contingency to quit coming to Iowa. We have to get better to stay competitive with other events. It's the little things that make good events great.
GDL17921

Postby The Donator » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:39 am

I have to disagree with relying on a TD bringing water for everyone to a C-tier. While it certainly is a small thing that is a huge bonus, its certainly not required. I knew it was going to be miserably hot, so i brought/bought 12 16-oz waters and several 32 oz gatorades and didnt drink a single beer or smoke a cig, but i have heat problems, so I (and i hope everyone else that knows the heat) planned ahead. Great job Dave, thanks for putting this on!
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby Discgo » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:45 am

Beerman wrote:Sloooow down people. I like negative feedback, its one of the best ways for people to grow and get better at what they do. Plus tank is right, I should have made sure there was water on the course. Let the smoking deal go, I am certain that tank and I will work that out.

He is a GREAT ambassador for our sport and gives a lot of time and energy as well. He had some things to vent and he did. There are no hard feeling on this end and if anyone else has something that they want to vent please do so.

His feedback was some of the best I have heard. I agree that we should not jump all over him for it. If we attack those that give us good feedback than they will stop telling us and just tell others about their experience.
Chain-outs since last ace - 1
Discgo

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:49 am

you're right, Lindsley. It isn't a requirement. But read the fine print. It's the little things that make good events great. And people that have choices (due to many events) seek out great events.

I didn't play Saturday so I have no complaints whatsoever. I played Sunday, and having water was awesome. Even at the end of the event, when the water was gone, Amanda recognized a need, and gave me a gatorade out of her personal cooler. That's over the top and amazing service that - yes - isn't required. But it made the event great for me. TD's take note. These are the things that keep players coming back, and the things that they remember.
GDL17921

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:49 am

Discgo wrote:
Beerman wrote:Sloooow down people. I like negative feedback, its one of the best ways for people to grow and get better at what they do. Plus tank is right, I should have made sure there was water on the course. Let the smoking deal go, I am certain that tank and I will work that out.

His feedback was some of the best I have heard. I agree that we should not jump all over him for it. If we attack those that give us good feedback than they will stop telling us and just tell others about their experience.

exactly
GDL17921

Postby diskey river » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:51 am

I'm all for positive feedback that makes sense and contributes to a better event.

We've all played long enough to know the importance of water and the respect of non-smoking areas.
diskey river

Postby 3x state champ runner up » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:29 am

I'm not too sure about any of this. i love criticism as it all helps growth. But i think that some players take themselves too seriously and get all butt hurt when things don't go the way they want. i thought it was the golf and competition that brings players to tournaments, not how much payout is or what is someone going to do for me today. lets be real here, graceland isn't the usdgc, or an a tier nt event it was a small team of hard working people that did the best they could and will do better at their next event.

if you want a tournement to showcase how much you think of yourself then stay where ever you came from.

i'm not 100% clear about this smoking issue but if a course on a campus has rules about smoking, it's the players responsibilty to follow them and the TD's to handle any situaiton however he wants. for god's sake, take responsiblity for your own actions and don't bitch about how a td handled it.
Adding up scores after league... Greco-"Kerri, you shot 11 up" Kerri- "oh a 65 isn't bad" Greco-"that was the back nine"
3x state champ runner up

Postby The Donator » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:35 am

3x state champ runner up wrote:I'm not too sure about any of this. i love criticism as it all helps growth. But i think that some players take themselves too seriously and get all butt hurt when things don't go the way they want. i thought it was the golf and competition that brings players to tournaments, not how much payout is or what is someone going to do for me today. lets be real here, graceland isn't the usdgc, or an a tier nt event it was a small team of hard working people that did the best they could and will do better at their next event.

if you want a tournement to showcase how much you think of yourself then stay where ever you came from.

i'm not 100% clear about this smoking issue but if a course on a campus has rules about smoking, it's the players responsibilty to follow them and the TD's to handle any situaiton however he wants. for god's sake, take responsiblity for your own actions and don't bitch about how a td handled it.

Case closed.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby Grimm » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:46 am

3x state champ runner up wrote:I'm not too sure about any of this. i love criticism as it all helps growth. But i think that some players take themselves too seriously and get all butt hurt when things don't go the way they want. i thought it was the golf and competition that brings players to tournaments, not how much payout is or what is someone going to do for me today. lets be real here, graceland isn't the usdgc, or an a tier nt event it was a small team of hard working people that did the best they could and will do better at their next event.

You're a douche.
50 lashes for drinking the groups whiskey isn't steep.
Grimm

Postby 3x state champ runner up » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:50 am

Grimm wrote:

You're a douche.

dude, that's the other thread with trammel, timmy, and tye
Adding up scores after league... Greco-"Kerri, you shot 11 up" Kerri- "oh a 65 isn't bad" Greco-"that was the back nine"
3x state champ runner up

PreviousNext

Return to Iowa Tournaments