Tern

Reviews for Innova Golf discs and any other Innova products.

Re: Tern

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:49 am

The Donator wrote:Thank you. Love getting talked to like i started playing yesterday :lol:



really? want some cheese to go with your whine? :lol: It's called discussion, which usually people that weren't born yesterday can handle. :lol: Didn't realize we were all just supposed to read your posts like it's scripture and worship them. My bad. :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:
User avatar
GDL17921
 
Posts: 8556
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:57 am
Location: on a rock

Re: Tern

Postby The Donator » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:52 am

God damnit i couldnt even get in and edit it fast enough! :lol:
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
User avatar
The Donator
 
Posts: 6304
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:07 pm
Location: West Des Moines, IA

Re: Tern

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:00 am

just messin man.
User avatar
GDL17921
 
Posts: 8556
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:57 am
Location: on a rock

Re: Tern

Postby SARG27044 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:36 am

Clue wrote:Aaron isn't completely off base. I've gone back and forth with Steffen on this disc. He has a lot more than I do. Certain runs/stamps were more stable than others (and I'm not even factoring in the star plastic). But it also depends on speed. I have no idea the specifics, but I think I top out around 60mph. At that speed the disc will turn, but short of that it'll be pretty overstable. Which is why it gets the effect Sprague talks about, when it slows down it stables up but has a gliding stability rather than a falling overstabiltiy.

When Gateway came out with the Ninja, Shawn Sinclair said it was like throwing a roof shingle. At slow speeds it would go straight left, but if you hit it hard it would flip right over. Certain versions of the Tern do exactly that. Definitely a finicky disc, but I think there are runs and shots that will be dependable enough.

Yes we all know different discs even in the same plastic will perform differently...we weren't talking about that. I was talking about one disc, and how it's impossible to have that one disc perform differently. If you're getting different results with that same disc( not a different color/mold/run) then you're doing something different and if you can't see that by know....then yeah....
SARG27044
 
Posts: 6724
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: D.M.

Re: Tern

Postby Discgo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:07 pm

My Terns have been fairly consistent. My only complaint is that they tend to pop up a little bit out of my hand. Probably the same lift that gives them the glide late in the flight. I just have to make sure i keep the nose down when i launch them.
Chain-outs since last ace - 1
Discgo
 
Posts: 1489
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:30 am
Location: behind the basket

Re: Tern

Postby KePP » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:21 am

Clue wrote:I think I top out around 60mph. At that speed the disc will turn, but short of that it'll be pretty overstable.

Isn't the snap/spin what makes the disc turn (gyroscopic effect), not arm speed? I would think faster arm speed would result in a lower ratio of spin resulting in less flip.
User avatar
KePP
 
Posts: 1847
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:22 am
Location: Beaverdale

Re: Tern

Postby MDR_3000 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:15 pm

KePP wrote:
Clue wrote:I think I top out around 60mph. At that speed the disc will turn, but short of that it'll be pretty overstable.

Isn't the snap/spin what makes the disc turn (gyroscopic effect), not arm speed? I would think faster arm speed would result in a lower ratio of spin resulting in less flip.



no, the spin keeps the disc stable. if spin turned a disc over you couldn't spin a disc on your finger.

I believe what makes a disc turn is when the RPMs and MPHs aren't in balance...or some shit like that. I'm too dumb to explain it in writing.
If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
User avatar
MDR_3000
 
Posts: 2970
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:09 pm
Location: Straight outta NoCash.

Re: Tern

Postby Grimm » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:22 pm

MDR_3000 wrote: I believe what makes a disc turn is when the RPMs and MPHs aren't in balance...or some shit like that. I'm too dumb to explain it in writing.

Watch me and that will explain it. But don't do what I do. EVER.
50 lashes for drinking the groups whiskey isn't steep.
Grimm
 
Posts: 1316
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:02 pm
Location: Cedar Rapids

Re: Tern

Postby AO » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:41 pm

jesus christ...discontinue this disc already or make it an "L" or "X" mold.
Last edited by AO on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AO
 
Posts: 4318
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:06 pm
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA

Re: Tern

Postby Clue » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:52 pm

SARG27044 wrote:I was talking about one disc, and how it's impossible to have that one disc perform differently.

Jesus, now I know how Lindsley feels. So when you throw your driver the exact same way it doesn't matter whether it's a head wind or tail wind, uphill or downhill? The point I was making was how extreme the difference is with marginally subtle variables. All discs act differently in different conditions. This one happens to be a little extreme at times.
Clue
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:03 pm
Location: Des Moines

Re: Tern

Postby Clue » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:54 pm

KePP wrote:
Clue wrote:I think I top out around 60mph. At that speed the disc will turn, but short of that it'll be pretty overstable.

Isn't the snap/spin what makes the disc turn (gyroscopic effect), not arm speed? I would think faster arm speed would result in a lower ratio of spin resulting in less flip.

I'm guessing my arm speed varies more than how much spin I put on the disc, especially when it's on purpose.
Clue
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:03 pm
Location: Des Moines

Re: Tern

Postby ghstinshll » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:58 pm

I wish I knew what my arm speed was - it would be cool to see as a stat.

Kepp, both snap and arm speed can turn over a disc.
##39027
ghstinshll
 
Posts: 4143
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:21 am
Location: Des Moines Area

Re: Tern

Postby SARG27044 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:11 am

Clue wrote:
SARG27044 wrote:I was talking about one disc, and how it's impossible to have that one disc perform differently.

Jesus, now I know how Lindsley feels. So when you throw your driver the exact same way it doesn't matter whether it's a head wind or tail wind, uphill or downhill? The point I was making was how extreme the difference is with marginally subtle variables. All discs act differently in different conditions. This one happens to be a little extreme at times.

You might want to actually read all I said there, guy. I said in the same conditions, thrown the exact same way, your disc will do the exact same every time....if you complain about a disc doing different things in head vs tailwind then you deserve to be confused.
SARG27044
 
Posts: 6724
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: D.M.

Re: Tern

Postby The Donator » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:37 am

Clue wrote: The point I was making was how extreme the difference is with marginally subtle variables. This one happens to be a little extreme at times.

This is what we are trying to get at here.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
User avatar
The Donator
 
Posts: 6304
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:07 pm
Location: West Des Moines, IA

Re: Tern

Postby SARG27044 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:50 am

The Donator wrote:
Clue wrote: The point I was making was how extreme the difference is with marginally subtle variables. This one happens to be a little extreme at times.

This is what we are trying to get at here.

But here is the thing...nobody on this forum can throw the exact same shot over and over. Arm speed, snap,and angle of release will vary every time. So several subtle variations won't be so subtle when they're all added together.
SARG27044
 
Posts: 6724
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: D.M.

PreviousNext

Return to Innova

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests