Des Moines Open ~ Walnut Ridge Retro

All Tournaments held in the state of Iowa or by Iowa affilitated clubs.

what format woulde you prefer?

1 day for open/int an another for adv/rec
34
72%
2 days for everyone with tee times
13
28%
 
Total votes : 47

Des Moines Open ~ Walnut Ridge Retro

Postby Beerman » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:00 am

Ok, so we are ALMOST a go for the Des Moines Open Walnut Ridge Retro course.. The problem we are going to have is that this event WILL sell out.

We have a couple of options, and it looks as if I am going to move this to a 2-day event this year so that everyone that wants in can get in.

We can either do Open / intermediates on one day and Advanced / Rec on the opposite day OR we could do 1 round both days and have tee times.

Personally I don't care either way because I will be there both days but I would like to hear some opinions.
User avatar
Beerman
 
Posts: 1170
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:12 am
Location: des moines

Re: Des Moines Open ~ Walnut Ridge Retro

Postby SARG27044 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:12 am

No he didn't.... Judging by the original retro, you will need 2 days. Or only make it available for a few divisions. We had to put temps in , and give up our spots to accommodate people. Still had to turn people away
SARG27044
 
Posts: 6708
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: D.M.

Re: Des Moines Open ~ Walnut Ridge Retro

Postby Beerman » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:21 am

There will not be temps, if its not tee times then both days will be caped at 90. If its tee times I think the cap is around 225.
User avatar
Beerman
 
Posts: 1170
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:12 am
Location: des moines

Re: Des Moines Open ~ Walnut Ridge Retro

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:47 am

I like the tee time idea, creates an atmosphere out there at the country club and would be something different.
User avatar
GDL17921
 
Posts: 8537
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:57 am
Location: on a rock

Re: Des Moines Open ~ Walnut Ridge Retro

Postby Baitbuckets » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:32 am

I like the 2 day tee times, play one round and able to get home and have time for other activities. But a couple of things to consider. Out of towners that say play INT and have to wait 3 hours for awards does not seem right or do you just have awards as each group get done. Then what to do with ties for playoffs without having to wait hours. Plus the fact only playing 18 holes on a day might cause some out of towners to not show up due to expense of travel.
True Definition of a Minority - Being a Conservative in a Disc Golf League and wearing a PINK shirt.
User avatar
Baitbuckets
 
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:58 pm
Location: Ames, IA

Re: Des Moines Open ~ Walnut Ridge Retro

Postby Beerman » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:42 am

Baitbuckets wrote:I like the 2 day tee times, play one round and able to get home and have time for other activities. But a couple of things to consider. Out of towners that say play INT and have to wait 3 hours for awards does not seem right or do you just have awards as each group get done. Then what to do with ties for playoffs without having to wait hours. Plus the fact only playing 18 holes on a day might cause some out of towners to not show up due to expense of travel.


I would do awards after each division was completed, for tie breakers there could be a gap (empty tee time) to allow for divisional playoffs. As for out of towners, I would recommend taking the evening to get a corn dog at the state fair.
User avatar
Beerman
 
Posts: 1170
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:12 am
Location: des moines

Re: Des Moines Open ~ Walnut Ridge Retro

Postby irban » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:46 am

Only the original layout right? Didn't we play one from the old and one from the new last time? Maybe we just changed some of the old pin placements, which would be good. No reason to play the new course at all, is all I'm saying.
~~~- ¥
User avatar
irban
 
Posts: 5203
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:31 am
Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Re: Des Moines Open ~ Walnut Ridge Retro

Postby Beerman » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:52 am

irban wrote:Only the original layout right? Didn't we play one from the old and one from the new last time? Maybe we just changed some of the old pin placements, which would be good. No reason to play the new course at all, is all I'm saying.


I will do my best to get it to the original layout and no, we will not be playing the current layout.

Of course that is dependent on getting enough temp baskets for both days, but I am sure that won't be a problem.
User avatar
Beerman
 
Posts: 1170
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:12 am
Location: des moines

Re: Des Moines Open ~ Walnut Ridge Retro

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:13 am

Beerman wrote:
Baitbuckets wrote:I like the 2 day tee times, play one round and able to get home and have time for other activities. But a couple of things to consider. Out of towners that say play INT and have to wait 3 hours for awards does not seem right or do you just have awards as each group get done. Then what to do with ties for playoffs without having to wait hours. Plus the fact only playing 18 holes on a day might cause some out of towners to not show up due to expense of travel.


I would do awards after each division was completed, for tie breakers there could be a gap (empty tee time) to allow for divisional playoffs. As for out of towners, I would recommend taking the evening to get a corn dog at the state fair.



yeah if it's the same weekend as the fair, that would be a draw. One round a day would leave plenty of time for that.
User avatar
GDL17921
 
Posts: 8537
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:57 am
Location: on a rock

Re: Des Moines Open ~ Walnut Ridge Retro

Postby SARG27044 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:15 am

Being local, tee times are nice, laid back and relaxing. But also a hassle to drive out there two days in a row(during the challenge I drove out there 4 days out of the week=6 hrs sitting behind the wheel)...The two rnd per day is probably the better option, it allows those on the fence about Open/adv or Int/adv to play both days if wanted
SARG27044
 
Posts: 6708
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: D.M.

Re: Des Moines Open ~ Walnut Ridge Retro

Postby SARG27044 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:15 am

The dumpster being open is a must! :twisted:
SARG27044
 
Posts: 6708
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: D.M.

Re: Des Moines Open ~ Walnut Ridge Retro

Postby The Donator » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:37 am

SARG27044 wrote:The dumpster being open is a must! :twisted:

Second
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
User avatar
The Donator
 
Posts: 6303
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:07 pm
Location: West Des Moines, IA

Re: Des Moines Open ~ Walnut Ridge Retro

Postby Beerman » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:44 am

SARG27044 wrote:Being local, tee times are nice, laid back and relaxing. But also a hassle to drive out there two days in a row(during the challenge I drove out there 4 days out of the week=6 hrs sitting behind the wheel)...The two rnd per day is probably the better option, it allows those on the fence about Open/adv or Int/adv to play both days if wanted


If you and molly car pool, you only have to drive out 1 day. Look at the bright side, at least you don't have to be the 1s one there and last one out both days.
User avatar
Beerman
 
Posts: 1170
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:12 am
Location: des moines

Re: Des Moines Open ~ Walnut Ridge Retro

Postby SARG27044 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:50 am

Molly=Matthew :wink: We've both adopted the G-money strategy to life fyi. No commitments, no waiting on others. Where has this idea been all my life...
SARG27044
 
Posts: 6708
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: D.M.

Re: Des Moines Open ~ Walnut Ridge Retro

Postby The Donator » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:12 pm

SARG27044 wrote:Molly=Matthew :wink: We've both adopted the G-money strategy to life fyi. No commitments, no waiting on others. Where has this idea been all my life...

Yup, driving solo w/ disc golf def has its perks.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
User avatar
The Donator
 
Posts: 6303
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:07 pm
Location: West Des Moines, IA

Next

Return to Iowa Tournaments

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: TouristParkChucker and 1 guest