blkwizardsonny

Re: Changes to the PDGA rule book 2013 edition

Postby ghstinshll » Wed May 08, 2013 12:48 am

fixed. :-) thanks.
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby SARG27044 » Wed May 08, 2013 6:43 am

ghstinshll wrote:It would be interesting to hear you guys say what holes tend to lead to judgement questions, etc, most often during tournaments in DSM.

Creek on 10 at PK?

Up against the fence on 1 at GV?

Just curious, as the challenge is coming up...
I hope everyone knows how to play a disc against an O.B. fence at an A-Tier...The holes that come into question the most are usually clearly marked (Painted) or are covered in your handbook or addressed at the players meeting. But there always seems to be someone, who finds a spot that no one has been before every year :lol:
SARG27044

Postby blkwizardsonny » Wed May 08, 2013 8:14 am

ghstinshll wrote:It would be interesting to hear you guys say what holes tend to lead to judgement questions, etc, most often during tournaments in DSM.

Creek on 10 at PK?

Up against the fence on 1 at GV?

that makes more sense lol creek on pickard ten is just casual as there is usually no water in it now the creek behind 8 at pickard is ob
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny

Postby ghstinshll » Wed May 08, 2013 8:45 am

SARG27044 wrote: I hope everyone knows how to play a disc against an O.B. fence at an A-Tier...The holes that come into question the most are usually clearly marked (Painted) or are covered in your handbook or addressed at the players meeting. But there always seems to be someone, who finds a spot that no one has been before every year :lol:

I agree, Sarg. I kind of wondered if the whiners & primadonnas come out for this, and claim dangerous lie in the creek on 8 at PK or they play through it, etc. I figured I'd ask for some examples of what TDs have heard through the years. I look forward to seeing the handbook.
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby GDL17921 » Wed May 08, 2013 11:25 am

the creek is OB on hole 8 at Pickard, as well as across it.
GDL17921

Postby irban » Wed May 08, 2013 12:06 pm

Yeah, just be sure everyone knows about the drop zone on 5 right Chuck?
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby GDL17921 » Wed May 08, 2013 1:21 pm

or that the lines around the pond are OB lines, right Claring? :lol:
GDL17921

Postby Single L » Wed May 08, 2013 2:24 pm

Pickard:
- Hole 4 & 5 marsh / pond (susually trimmed and painted with OB line)
- Hole 8 fence (partially collapsed and busted, addressed with paint)
- Hole 8 Bridge / edge of creek (Addressed with paint)
- Hole 10 fence (again partially collapsed and busted, addressed with paint)
- Hole 10 creek (even though it is clearly called out as casual and seeing how there is no water and playable people still want relief, tough crap, no relief peeps)
- Hole 14 bridge / washed out area (again addressed with paint)
- Hole 16 Bridge / edge of creek (again .... painted)

Big Creek
- Hole 14 cliff edge (addressed with paint, however now that they've built a rip rap shoreline I think paint is over kill and unfair if your lie is still on top of the cliff yet called OB)

Walnut
- Hole 3 cliff (OB paint line, even if not wet in the lake its for safety and speed of play reasons)

Grandview
- Hole 6 backstop
- Hole 10 road and over
........ people complain that the tee side cannot be OB because the tee is on that side. The tee is an inbound island and you are throwing to an inbound island, its as simple as that.

And Jason the fence on 1 is a non-issue. If you don't know how to play along fence or OB line than you shouldn't be playing in an A-Tier.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby Clue » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:54 am

Hey Chuckles!

I've been debating stances in front of a tree and want to get your opinion. Lately I've seen a handful of stances where a disc is laying reasonably flat on the basket side of a tree, but when it's marked the only *legal* stance has the point of contact on the exposed root of the tree and not the ground. Do you believe that constitutes playing surface or should it be marked behind the tree?
Clue

Postby cgkdisc » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:30 am

I just had something similar in my round last week. In this case, the player landed on a root on the back side of the tree. We gave him the option to take "solid object relief" and mark back what amounted to maybe 6" farther back than if we required him to stand on the root. I think it becomes a judgment call with the benefit to the player. If the root extends even a little above the flat ground and curves upward into the trunk, the more it would seem granting relief is reasonable. I think you could use the concept, "Would I want to take a stance on that?" for each player in the group with ties to the player benefit. Strictly from a rules standpoint, it would seem you could argue that unless the root is flush with the surrounding ground, that on top of it is not a playing surface.
cgkdisc

Postby ghstinshll » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:50 am

If you can't take relief from a hole, why get relief from a root? It'd have to be a pretty massive, 12" root for it to be granted in my eyes. If you can't stand & deliver, oh well.
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby grodney » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:36 pm

ghstinshll wrote:It'd have to be a pretty massive, 12" root for it to be granted in my eyes.

Whisper that for me.
grodney

Postby tufluk » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:52 pm

Aren't we supposed to "play it where it lies"? Awkward stances are part of the game. Everybody wants relief, nobody wants the extra stroke, so the lobbying begins. "My foot would be on a root"??? If that's cause for relief, what wouldn't be? If you don't want an awkward stance, throw it in the fairway.
tufluk

Postby Cydisc » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:07 pm

The question is where does the tree cease to be an obstacle and become the playing surface. Obviously, the vertical trunk of the tree is an obstacle. Obviously, exposed tree roots that are running horizontally along the ground would be considered part of the playing surface. But where is that specific point where it changes from one to the other? The rules don't specifically address this situation.

I suppose that I'd look at the slope of the trunk as it meets the ground. Is the disc more horizontal than vertical where it comes to rest? Then rule it part of the playing surface.
Cydisc

PreviousNext

Return to Ask the State Coordinator