sleepy hollow

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

Postby Clue » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:53 am

BTW, the proposal for Doanes had $30,000 slated for 9 holes which meant it was going to get the best baskets, signs, and landscaped tee pads. My hope was to have 2 sets of tees to make for 18 unique shots. If Sleepy Hollow is the reason it doesn't go, I would be pretty upset.
Clue

Postby Buzzz Killington » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:02 pm

Understandable that the city doesn't want to give 30,000 taxpayer dollars to a PRIVATE business, guessing they only employ 10's of peoples. Making the decision to go public, and dedicating disc golf in the city's oldest park should be a no-brainer. (Also imagine that a chunk of that cash goes right back to the city when they use their machinery/operators to clear land). VERY sad to hear free consulting goes unused. Big ups to Clue for putting the time in anyways.
Buzzz Killington

Postby Like_Water » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:29 pm

The dude at sleepy told me the night of the course opening Doanes wasn't going in.

He doesn't get disc golf. He can only charge so much, and most will fnd the annual membership reasonable, but it will never keep people from playing other courses. Another course nearby, especially a nine holer, can really only help.

The way he wins is by making his course the best, which is apparent he has no idea how to do.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby JBOCK » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:46 pm

I bought my season pass and played there aprox 15 times. It's great to see another course in DM and they have great baskets, but that's about it. I understand this is their 1st year at DG and they " tried" to make some improvements but you can see DG is the least of their concerns. I was able to deal with the death trap at 5's basket, $5 cans of beer, ankle-breaker pads and even being told I couldn't play because the owners were gone to Ragbri. Where it turned for the worst was about 2 weeks ago when I went there to snowboard and asked if the back 9 was able to be played? His response was " no, we pulled the baskets so people can't play for free" I laughed as he went on to help the next customer.

As for 2013 I won't be getting a season pass and will voice my opinion every time I play there. If I pay... :twisted:
A bad day at disc golf is still better than a good day at anything else.... Unless its also disc golf
JBOCK

Postby blkwizardsonny » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:35 pm

i personally dont know any of the politics of it but will buy a pass next year if it is still 20 .
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny

Postby JBOCK » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:56 pm

blkwizardsonny wrote:i personally dont know any of the politics of it

Nor do I, just speaking from personal experiences. I understand my $ will help improve the course so cant fully say I WON'T get a pass, but if I do, it'd be nice to see improvements. As I'm sure other dgrs feel the same.
A bad day at disc golf is still better than a good day at anything else.... Unless its also disc golf
JBOCK

Postby blkwizardsonny » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:10 pm

i do agree with ya on that for sure they need to let us design a lil lol
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny

Postby Clue » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:04 am

blkwizardsonny wrote:i personally dont know any of the politics of it but will buy a pass next year if it is still 20 .

If I lived closer I would too. I love the the land on the flat nine and would probably just make up different teeing areas to practice. I also think pay for play has value to get away from the crowds. I'm just disappointed because I think it all could've worked out much better.
Clue

sleepy

Postby DLCdisc » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:06 pm

I think what they did is just business. What they don't realize is that 99% of their disc golf patrons do not live in Pleasant Hill. Having another course will help more than it hurts. How many guys get a free day and hit up two courses that are close together for multiple rounds?? $20 is nothing for a year's worth of access even if that access is limited to an extent and its a cool course. Bring on another course that is properly funded and equipped.
DLCdisc

Re: sleepy hollow

Postby StingHP » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:30 pm

Attempted to play there today. Promptly told we could only buy a season pass instead of a day pass. Does this seem right?
StingHP

Postby DLCdisc » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:14 pm

I heard about this. For those that only make it there once in a while, it seems like a pain. I don't think I played enough times to offset the $20 last year. But I get it too. If they only sell season passes ($20 is not unfair at all), it's less work on their part to manage it. There will be people (like me) that pay the $20 with no worries at all and only play 5 or 6 times. They make money off of me. There will also be people that play it 20 times. They make money off you too :shock: . My only concern with this change is whether or not they will continue to develop the course or will they simply collect what they can and milk the minimal effort put into it until it is no longer enticing to anyone. We shall see.
DLCdisc

Postby Clue » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:51 pm

DLCdisc wrote:My only concern with this change is whether or not they will continue to develop the course or will they simply collect what they can and milk the minimal effort put into it until it is no longer enticing to anyone. We shall see.

Well....a few of us are meeting with Rick this week to discuss some changes/improvements to the course out there. Sounds like Ernie has really established a good relationship with Rick and has opened discussions to do what he can to get more events out there such as league and tournaments. Hoping to get some design tweeks done, increase the size of tee pads, and add concrete to the *flat* nine. Not sure where this meeting will take us, but it sounds like they're ready to make a big step in getting more involved.
Clue

Postby PsPunch » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:41 am

Let me know when you meet with them Clue, I'd like to go
Nate Mickelson

I don't care, let's go throw
PsPunch

Postby Clue » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:24 pm

PsPunch wrote:Let me know when you meet with them Clue, I'd like to go

Heard you were invited, 4pm Wed. See you there.
Clue

Postby PsPunch » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:37 pm

First I'm hearing of it. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to make it, I get out early most days.
Nate Mickelson

I don't care, let's go throw
PsPunch

PreviousNext

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club