2012 Bushwhackers

Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, and surrounding area leagues.

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:03 am

peyton wrote:Coming from the guy that runs and plays only unsanctioned doubles tournaments in the advanced division and has as many doubles crowns as Greco has singles titles.
oh and low blow, but I'd expect that from my a bitter old Dad.
frogawitdafizzle

Postby 3x state champ runner up » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:10 pm

Let's not ruin the bushwhacker thread. I hope that everyone reads the Juliana korver article in the new dg mag, here's a woman that fell in love with the game the same way we all did, had great success, and now doesn't even pick up a disc because she has this mentality that if she can't compete at a really high level she won't play at all. I understand nobody wants to suck, but I don't want to fall out of love with disc golf. I don't have the time to "work" at disc golf, I "play" it with my friends who like to have a good time and hang out, drink some beers, and get back that feeling we all had when we first started playing, even if it's only for 18 holes that one Sunday morning I get break from reality.
camping in humbolt 2013 - greco: "why is there so much water in my tent?" bernie: "sweat and tears greco, sweat and tears"
3x state champ runner up

Postby SpikeHyzer » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:58 pm

3x state champ runner up wrote:that feeling we all had when we first started playing, even if it's only for 18 holes that one Sunday morning I get break from reality.

Can't agree more with this statement above. I don't get out as much as I used or would like to, but when I do, I still get that great feeling watching a disc slip and slide through the air on its way to the basket. No reason to get so bent out of shape over something that is more or less a hobby for the majority of us.
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.
SpikeHyzer

Postby Like_Water » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:30 pm

3x state champ runner up wrote: I hope that everyone reads the Juliana korver article in the new dg mag, here's a woman that fell in love with the game the same way we all did, had great success, and now doesn't even pick up a disc because she has this mentality that if she can't compete at a really high level she won't play at all.

I feared this for a long time. Getting competitive took some of the fun out, but the rewards grew as I did. It's just a matter of perspective. I'm sure I'll play more glow disc after I'm done competing....glow disc in heaven!

What up CR/IC thread? this is my new home!
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Nohr » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:40 pm

Like_Water wrote:What up CR/IC thread? this is my new home!

If this is your home then we have a couple teams you could play on for team states.
Nohr

Postby Grimm » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:41 pm

Get ready for a beat down at the Penn this winter.
50 lashes for drinking the groups whiskey isn't steep.
Grimm

Postby Like_Water » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:47 pm

Grimm wrote:

Yeah, AO is tough on wooded courses.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:34 pm

Like_Water wrote:
Grimm wrote:

Yeah, AO is tough on wooded courses.

ssss
GDL17921

Postby Abe Froman » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:41 pm

3x state champ runner up wrote: I don't have the time to "work" at disc golf, I "play" it with my friends who like to have a good time and hang out, drink some beers, and get back that feeling we all had when we first started playing, even if it's only for 18 holes that one Sunday morning I get break from reality.

+1 qft
Abe Froman

Postby Abe Froman » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:29 pm

Pen tomorrow at 10am. Ill bring my belt so everybody can remember what it looks like
Abe Froman

Postby Grimm » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:08 pm

Looks like I get an old belt tomorrow. Someone remind to get cash in the morning, I don't know what happened to mine.
Grimm

Postby 3x state champ runner up » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:45 pm

So here's a new idea for 2013. Draft night, instead of random draw partners have it be like the NFL draft and the team/players who finished last get to pick their partners first, thus giving them an opportunity to maybe finish higher.

The season, I'd like it to be like pro sports. You have a regular season in which you play divisional and conference opponents and you have the four division leaders and two wild cards from each side move onto playoffs.

Also, the tournament was a success in it's second year, however, I'm going to limit it to 32 players and it will be called the bushwhacker invitational. Which means you will get invited personally. Next man in if you can't or don't want to play. Doug, handicaps will adjust if we play jones each week.
camping in humbolt 2013 - greco: "why is there so much water in my tent?" bernie: "sweat and tears greco, sweat and tears"
3x state champ runner up

Postby Grimm » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:11 am

3x state champ runner up wrote:So here's a new idea for 2013. Draft night, instead of random draw partners have it be like the NFL draft and the team/players who finished last get to pick their partners first, thus giving them an opportunity to maybe finish higher.

NO!!!!!!!!! This league is not about being the best it's about fun. Picking partners is not fun or in the interest of this league. There should be no picking partner.

The season, I'd like it to be like pro sports. You have a regular season in which you play divisional and conference opponents and you have the four division leaders and two wild cards from each side move onto playoffs.

I don't mind this. It usually comes down to a couple of teams anyway and it would give more a few teams a better chance.

WTF? Where did this come from? I never heard anything about this. I'm pissed and as anyone know's I'm one of most layed back person ever.
Grimm

Postby The Donator » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:13 am

3x state champ runner up wrote:So here's a new idea for 2013. Draft night, instead of random draw partners have it be like the NFL draft and the team/players who finished last get to pick their partners first, thus giving them an opportunity to maybe finish higher.

We kind of tried that this year, with an "A" and a "B" pool, and it was a pretty awkward year, with 32 peeps. No one liked it, a lot of people were pissed, and it didnt cater towards the BW idea. You guys obv have more members than we do, but it simply does not work unfortunately.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby veedz » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:19 am

My vote is keep random draw for partners. I think the chance of shooting the season with someone you wouldn't really know otherwise is part of the fun.
Changing up to four divisions and playoffs sounds interesting. Does the length of the season mean we'd play teams in our divisions more than once?
veedz

PreviousNext

Return to Iowa City/Cedar Rapids