2012 Iowa Tour Points - Pre-Ottumwa

Information about the Iowa Tour.

Moderator: shane

Postby Clue » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:49 pm

One other angle is geography. People assume DM is kind of the geographic center of disc golf in the state, but it's more like the SW corner with places like Lamoni and Atlantic being on an island. Cedar Rapids is really developing into the capitol of disc golf in Iowa being able to draw from both the QC and DM as well as all the other great disc golf areas like Waterloo, IC, Osky/Ott and northern Iowa.

The Iowa Tour has certainly been DM-centric originating here both in terms of who ran it and where the tournaments were, but I don't think that will be the case as much going forward. I've heard the Kurt rumors as well. Wasn't sure if that was locked in stone yet or not. I'm really excited about this upcoming year for many reasons. We've had a ton of growth in several areas, especially the local draws in QC and CR areas. DM has a few plans of their own coming in the next couple years.

Finally, I'm always looking for ideas and people to move on certain projects. Feel free to message me with any ideas about this or anything else and I can always pass them along to the appropriate people.
Clue

Postby SARG27044 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:22 am

frogawitdafizzle wrote:
SpikeHyzer wrote:Here's a few bullet points on what joining the Iowa Tour gets you.
  1. CTP at every tour stop with a value of at least $30
  2. Various dg related prizes to be handed out at the last tour stop
  3. Lowest tag per available division will win 1 of the 5 prizes
  4. Something to make a casual round a little more competitive
  5. Tracking of stats for IT tournaments(I understand that this is subjective for some)

Now, the below rant could go in a different thread, but it does somewhat relate to the Iowa Tour in the fact that attendance for the IT seems be fairly low. So I am going to post it here.

I will say that I think the over abundance of tournaments has really hampered the Iowa Tour in the past. I am guessing if it is ran again next year, it will have the same issues with numbers. Now, I will say this and it is with all due respect, as I am friends with most of these guys(Not to mention they are giving of their own time and money for the sport we all love). But in my opinion the real issue is all the vendor ran tournaments. We don't need to have 14-16 tournaments in the IC/CR area. We don't need 8-10 tournaments in the QC area. I haven't seen the full tourney list for DSM yet, so I can't comment on those right now. With vendors coming out of the woodwork, are we looking at the fact that vendor ran tournaments are the culprit in the watered down competition we are seeing at local tournaments?

A few stats about old versus new. In my opinion, old was a whole lot more fun. These are straight from the pdga site.
  1. Attendance for this years DSM Open was 88 and a pro purse of $840.
  2. Attendance for the 2003 DSM Open was 205 and a pro purse of $1,875.
  3. Attendance for the 2012 Rumble was 73 and a purse of $1,525.
  4. Attendance for the 2006 Rumble was 120 and a purse of $3,680.
  5. Attendance for the 2012Graceland Open was 79 and a purse of $1,370.
  6. Attendance for the 2004 Graceland Open was 109 and a purse of $1,704.
  7. In 2003, we had 16 sanctioned tournaments total in the state of Iowa. In 2012 we had 39.

in 2008. when I started looking for dates for the Shawn Geers Memorial, DSM had 19 dates. You remeber Big Ivy, Pickard Open, Dsm Open, Dsm Challege, Newton, Edgewood, Ewing Dubs, GVCCC, Something at Walnut,etc. Point is you guys use to do the same, and it worked , but it was the only show to go to. There was always somewhere to go. 2003 is a mute pointm, it was pre 04 worlds. DSM was established long before anyone else. We had Legion of Doom and Ace Hunt in "06. The QC has added more than a half a dozen courses since 04, Its growing, why not run something at these great courses. Oh yeah gas is 3 dollars and Ams dont travel as much as they use to. And all but 2 tourneys Titan does, AO, Kevin, I ran before Titan, Chase vended, either way. they were happening. PS I suck at typing./
Suck at math too...Going thru the pdga schedule I count 6 tournaments "around" Des moines in 2008.
Hwy 69
The Challenege
DM Open
*Ankeny
GVCCC
Big Nut
6 does sound like 19 tho :P
SARG27044

Postby discgolfduval » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:33 pm

SARG27044 wrote:[*Ankeny

Whats with the asterisk? Cause its the most awesome?
discgolfduval

Postby discgolfduval » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:40 pm

Carter45145 wrote: The Jankeny Summer fest was the same weekend and I guess most of you Des Moines "pro's" stuck around for that!#IStillLikeTheIdeaOfAnIowaTour

Nope, there was a Jankeny Bean Bags tournament that took a few of us away though :lol:
discgolfduval

Postby blkwizardsonny » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:00 pm

discgolfduval wrote:
Carter45145 wrote: The Jankeny Summer fest was the same weekend and I guess most of you Des Moines "pro's" stuck around for that!#IStillLikeTheIdeaOfAnIowaTour

Nope, there was a Jankeny Bean Bags tournament that took a few of us away though :lol:
sssssss cornholeo
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:20 pm

SARG27044 wrote:
frogawitdafizzle wrote:
SpikeHyzer wrote:Here's a few bullet points on what joining the Iowa Tour gets you.
  5. Tracking of stats for IT tournaments(I understand that this is subjective for some)

Now, the below rant could go in a different thread, but it does somewhat relate to the Iowa Tour in the fact that attendance for the IT seems be fairly low. So I am going to post it here.

I will say that I think the over abundance of tournaments has really hampered the Iowa Tour in the past. I am guessing if it is ran again next year, it will have the same issues with numbers. Now, I will say this and it is with all due respect, as I am friends with most of these guys(Not to mention they are giving of their own time and money for the sport we all love). But in my opinion the real issue is all the vendor ran tournaments. We don't need to have 14-16 tournaments in the IC/CR area. We don't need 8-10 tournaments in the QC area. I haven't seen the full tourney list for DSM yet, so I can't comment on those right now. With vendors coming out of the woodwork, are we looking at the fact that vendor ran tournaments are the culprit in the watered down competition we are seeing at local tournaments?

A few stats about old versus new. In my opinion, old was a whole lot more fun. These are straight from the pdga site.
  7. In 2003, we had 16 sanctioned tournaments total in the state of Iowa. In 2012 we had 39.

in 2008. when I started looking for dates for the Shawn Geers Memorial, DSM had 19 dates. You remeber Big Ivy, Pickard Open, Dsm Open, Dsm Challege, Newton, Edgewood, Ewing Dubs, GVCCC, Something at Walnut,etc. Point is you guys use to do the same, and it worked , but it was the only show to go to. There was always somewhere to go. 2003 is a mute pointm, it was pre 04 worlds. DSM was established long before anyone else. We had Legion of Doom and Ace Hunt in "06. The QC has added more than a half a dozen courses since 04, Its growing, why not run something at these great courses. Oh yeah gas is 3 dollars and Ams dont travel as much as they use to. And all but 2 tourneys Titan does, AO, Kevin, I ran before Titan, Chase vended, either way. they were happening. PS I suck at typing./
Suck at math too...Going thru the pdga schedule I count 6 tournaments "around" Des moines in 2008.
Hwy 69
The Challenege
DM Open
*Ankeny
GVCCC
Big Nut
look at 2007. Your comprehension kills suck, little guy.
frogawitdafizzle

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:20 pm

SARG27044 wrote:
frogawitdafizzle wrote:

Hwy 69
The Challenege
DM Open
*Ankeny
GVCCC
Big Nut
frogawitdafizzle

Postby discgolfduval » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:04 pm

blkwizardsonny wrote:
discgolfduval wrote:

sssssss cornholeo

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
discgolfduval

Postby SARG27044 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:23 am

frogawitdafizzle wrote:
SARG27044 wrote:
frogawitdafizzle wrote:

Hwy 69
The Challenege
DM Open
*Ankeny
GVCCC
Big Nut
Fair enough, chubby cheeks. Looking at 2007, there are 7 tournaments you could consider DM tourny's.
Pickard Open
Ewing Dubs
Challenge
Ankeny
Walnut Pro/Am
Gvccc
Big Ivy
They list the Newton tourny under Des Moines for location. If you're gonna include Newton and Edgewood under DM, then you might as well add Lamoni and Osky, because your geography skills are as bad as your math...Even then you won't get to 19
SARG27044

Postby Discgo » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:24 am

SARG27044 wrote:
frogawitdafizzle wrote:
SARG27044 wrote:
frogawitdafizzle wrote:

Hwy 69
The Challenege
DM Open
*Ankeny
GVCCC
Big Nut
Fair enough, chubby cheeks. Looking at 2007, there are 7 tournaments you could consider DM tourny's.
Pickard Open
Ewing Dubs
Challenge
Ankeny
Walnut Pro/Am
Gvccc
Big Ivy
They list the Newton tourny under Des Moines for location. If you're gonna include Newton and Edgewood under DM, then you might as well add Lamoni and Osky, because your geography skills are as bad as your math...Even then you won't get to 19
quoted for quoting a long quote
Chain-outs since last ace - 1
Discgo

Postby TreeLoveInman » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:14 pm

How bout a qoute for the finale standings?
Team Iron Lion
TreeLoveInman

Postby Carter45145 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:09 pm

TreeLoveInman wrote:How bout a qoute for the finale standings?
LOL good luck.
Can't criticize our smile...
Carter45145

Postby The Donator » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:32 pm

Cant wait to join this next year and forget to switch tags every round lmao. So you have to play all of the 9700 iowa tour events to get in the top three right? :)
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Previous

Return to Iowa Tour