Friday after Thanksgiving

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

Friday after Thanksgiving

Postby superq16504 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:08 am

Greetings from KANSAS!!!

Family is bringing me to IOWA for thanksgiving again this year, as it stands now I think that another friend from Kansas is going to be there as well. we are planning on playing a round in BOONE friday morning. My girlfriend and I will be heading back toward Kansas after that and would be interested in playing somewhere on the way, AMES?DSM? if anyone wants to throw let me know! you can PM me on here or text or call
seven 8 five 806-555eight

Happy Holidays!
Greetings from Kansas!
superq16504

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:42 am

If you haven't played in Des Moines, I'd skip Boone and play Big Creek, Walnut Ridge, Ewing, Grandview, or Pickard. Any two or three of those would be pretty fantastic.

Don't get me wrong, Boone is OK - it has several memorable holes, but the creek crossings aren't very user friendly, and it's quite a hike, it might leave you just wanting to head home.

One other note - if you decide to play Walnut Ridge, the gate is closed, but don't worry you can still play. Park either at the gate, or in the neighborhood just south of the gate and cut over to the drive and start on either hole 16 or hole 8 at the intersection - you'll see them both.

If you are hellbent on playing Boone, or are coming from there, I'd say the best driving option would be to cut down highway 17 (just a few miles east of Boone) off of highway 30 and cut down to 415 and you'll be right at Big Creek State Park. This would save you a lot of driving if you go all the way back over to I-35.
GDL17921

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:51 am

hahaha I just re-read the thread from last time you came up. If your destination is still Albian, you should definately check out the Marshalltown course, it's been completely redesigned to 18 holes and is pretty sweet!

Shoot me a PM me if you'd like to meet at Walnut Ridge Friday, I'd be down to show you around the best lefty course in the state.
GDL17921

Postby superq16504 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:49 am

What an AMAZING course! a HUGE thanks to all you brave souls that came out and shot Walnut Ridge with us Friday! I can't even describe how awesome that course is and I really cant wait to get back to DSM and sample the rest of the golf!

Thank you!
Greetings from Kansas!
superq16504

Postby diskey river » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:06 pm

Is your pdga #16504?

If so, I found a white aviar with a maceman bottom stamp with your name on it in Colorado in the early 2000's. It was my putter for about 5 years. I still have it if you want it back.
diskey river

Postby grodney » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:01 am

diskey river wrote:Is your pdga #16504?

If so, I found a white aviar with a maceman bottom stamp with your name on it in Colorado in the early 2000's. It was my putter for about 5 years. I still have it if you want it back.

The suspense is killing me on this.
grodney

Postby irban » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:41 pm

While we're waiting, how about a few anecdotes about the oldest, or farthest away disc you've ever had returned, or found. I can't think of anything too dramatic. I had a purple original Gazelle returned from Keokuk once, the guy even called me long distance, pretty nice really.

I have a vague memory of a dirt encrusted disc coming back to me once, but don't recall the details.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby blkwizardsonny » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:54 pm

i threw a disc in the river at waterworks years ago actually over time i sacrificed alot of putters there . five six years later or more one of gary moores roomates buddies found couple of my discs out by the power plant on vandalia rd .traveled atleast five miles or more . crazy stuff when i heard and seent it
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny

Postby grodney » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:34 pm

Clue and K and Fausch and Claring will correct me on the details, but one Texas Trip (1998) at Round Rock there was a scuba diver with discs from the lake. Clue bought one from him for $2 and it said "Tornado Sheila" on the back, along with a number. We ended up calling her -- it was Sheila Kirkham from Arizona -- she'd lost it at World Doubles. We may have semi-taunted her, but got her return address just in case.

Clue decided to keep the frisbee, and it brought him bad luck the rest of the trip, culminating in a flat tire when we returned to Des Moines. Seeing it as cursed, he had me send it to Tornado Sheila. She sent back a blue Cyclone with an Arizona Disc Golf Club stamp, which I still have to this day.

Sooooo, it wasn't old, but it was far away.
Last edited by grodney on Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grodney

Postby Discgo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:38 pm

I left one behind in Michigan on vacation once. A guy called me while I was on the way home and ended up sending it back to me. I sent him a disc as a reward but ended up giving the putter away recently.
Chain-outs since last ace - 1
Discgo

Postby really » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:03 pm

I lost a avenger at foutain hills in az and was on the lost and found table in columbia mo. who knows how it got there
DGA
really

Postby irban » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:47 pm

Discgo wrote:ended up giving the putter away recently.

One thing I've noticed, no matter if the lost disc seemed irreplaceable, or "go to" or whatever, I almost never end up keeping it in my bag long after it is returned. It isn't that it flies all that different, it's like I've moved on. :|
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby gretagun » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:26 am

irban wrote:
Discgo wrote:ended up giving the putter away recently.

One thing I've noticed, no matter if the lost disc seemed irreplaceable, or "go to" or whatever, I almost never end up keeping it in my bag long after it is returned. It isn't that it flies all that different, it's like I've moved on. :|

Yep. Lost my favorite 11x Tee Bird at the Summerfest tournament one year, and got a call from a guy in IL who had it. He returned it to me at another tournament, but I've never thrown it since. It's just sitting in a box with other discs that aren't in the bag.
"Got to sinking in the place where I once stood.
Now I ain't living like I should"
gretagun

Re: Friday after Thanksgiving

Postby superq16504 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:46 am

A year and a half later the suspense is over! I lost the aviar in the late 90's early 2000's in pueblo! I will be making sure to add these boards to my weekly reading list.
Greetings from Kansas!
superq16504

Re: Friday after Thanksgiving

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:38 am

lmao Quinten :lol:
GDL17921

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club