So I broke my drive..

Learn to throw from local experts.

So I broke my drive..

Postby greedo » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:14 am

First some history, I have been playing for more than 5yrs but most of it was casual, 1 disc, many beer disc golf with friends. Last year, I played a grand total of 2 times. The year before that I played league and was out many times a week. If you see a blue SRT-4 with a 20ft spoiler (this thing was stock) and a "greedo" license plate, that's me. Anyhow, I want to get back into playing this year but I feel like I am starting over.

I used to drive a pretty consistant 300ft with the occasional 350-375ft throw. Nothing spectacular, but I don't play 'A' in league. My mid range game has always sucked and my putting was so-so.

I was out at Walnut last night practicing and I think I was the ONLY person there all night. My drives are all going about 200ft then diving hard right into the ground. I was throwing a 171 Star Starfire and a 172 Pro Wraith. So I pulled out an old Orc and Champ Tbird thinking I would have lot harder time turning these over. It was a little better, but things just weren't coming out right. I also threw a lighter Sidewinder (168) and Pro Starfire (167). I found that I was able to get a much better looking throw from these.

I almost feel like I have a mental block telling me that when I have a heavier disc in my hand that I REALLY need to rip it hard. I feel like I may be snapping them too hard. I should also note, I am not that big of a guy so a 172 feels sorta heavy to me.

I don't expect anyone to have a magic answer to why I can't drive, but any insight into things I might be able to make sure I shoudn't do would be wonderful. I would also be interested to hear what weight discs some of you guy use.
greedo

Postby ghstinshll » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:21 am

dude, are you throwing backhanded or sidearm? If they're diving right, you're either a lefty or throwing sidearm, right?

One thing I know about discs. The more snap you have - the better your disc will carry... Also, your arm strength & timing isn't up to where it shuld be, I bet. Either way, keep practicing & focus on level drives, keep 'em low, and get enough speed & snap. Each player's mix of these is different, but you'll find yours soon enough..
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby greedo » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:30 am

I am left handed.
I drive right hand backhand.
I putt left-handed.

Yes, I am screwed up lol.
greedo

Postby ghstinshll » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:44 am

If you're driving backhand righthanded - and they're goign out, then diving right, I'm confused... they'll naturally dive left. Or di you mean that they were diving hard into the ground in general?

If so, they you're not keeping the nose down, and it's stalling out. Time gets you there, but focusing on your angle @ release will help that.
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby greedo » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:10 am

They are diving into the ground to the right. They are still spinning hard. It may be that they just aren't high enough, or need to be thrown as more of a Hyzer to compensate.

It's quite possible that even though I feel like I am releasing a Hyzer or Flat that it's actually being turned in my hand at the last second before release.

This weekend I am going to try to spend some time sorting this out. I can't be throwing 200ft drives come league :)
greedo

Postby ghstinshll » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:38 am

Get together & play with someone from the forums this weekend. I'llbe out of town - and there's a tourney in INdianola - so it might be hard to get someone. But having someone analyze your throw will help too.
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby flyinplastic23 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:44 pm

maybe you are releasing a late anhyzer by mistake? or not coming straight across your chest, but more at a downward angle... get the nose up... sounds like you are throwing with it down.. and what disc are you using??? maybe you are using something understable?
A person with great dreams can accomplish great things- Bob Rotella

Pionta Guinness, le do thoil
flyinplastic23

Postby Single L » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:54 pm

flyinplastic23 wrote:.. and what disc are you using??? maybe you are using something understable?

I would say it's the Indian not the Arrows.

I really like Chases philosophy - Throw understable plastic. Go to a field and throw. Once you learn how to throw an understable disc on hyzer and anhyzer lines you can master about any disc.

So in the end go get some 173g leopards, go to a field and throw. Don't worry about the D, worry about technique and your lines.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby MDR_3000 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:00 am

flyinplastic23 wrote:get the nose up... understable?

Unless you're throwing a putter, ignore that. Nose down is good.
If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

Postby flyinplastic23 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:10 pm

well he said he was throwing it into the ground!

anyway i reread his initial post... I threw the prostar fire as my first disc, to this day it is still my favorite disc. As i got better and stronger I found that with this disc i have to throw it on a slight hyzer and let it flip up...

who knows, ill let the boys tell you what to do... but i do like your choice of disc.
A person with great dreams can accomplish great things- Bob Rotella

Pionta Guinness, le do thoil
flyinplastic23

Postby greedo » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:17 am

I think I have overcome the problem I was having. Hopefully the weather holds out tonight and I can get back out to work on it a little more.
greedo

Return to Throwing Technique