Peninsula work status for 2012.

Postby jnecessary » Thu May 31, 2012 10:43 am

I might be able to show up later in the day Saturday. Also, if you guys are gonna work Sunday for sure, let me know and I can likely help then. Keep up with your hours!! I'm not sure what good it will do to have them, but it seems like it could come in handy when leveraging for support from the city.
jnecessary

Postby jnecessary » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:46 pm

Bump for awesome skid loader work by Marty and tomorrow's work day. I'll try to be there by 5 at the latest. Come join with a string trimmer or gloves and a desire to pitch the smaller stuff that is left over from the clearing we did on Saturday.

Priorities are trimming and cleaning up the widened fairways, trimming holes 8 and 10 (we ran out of time on those at the last work day)
jnecessary

Postby jnecessary » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:10 am

Usual suspects showed up last night. Got some good trimming done on holes 8-12. Little more here and there.

13-17 still need touched up with weed whackers, mostly just teepads, basket areas, trees and signs. Anyone that wants to hit some of that feel free, but post up/message if you do so nobody wastes a trip to finish up. There is also plenty of work that could be done to clean up the clean up efforts from this weekend. The skid loader isn't the most delicate piece of equipment and left lots of ruts and smaller debris in the wake. Gloves/Rakes/Wheelbarrows and bodies to do the work would really help on that and might be the focus of the next work night if it doesn't get done sooner.

Next scheduled work day will be July 11th (not gonna ask people to show up on the 4th). Peninsula really looks great given the time of year right now. I think it is probably the best shape I've seen it during the growing season. Hoping to move baskets tonight.
jnecessary

Postby Kelly K » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:02 am

Am I in the "usual suspects" category??? First work night of 2012 for me! Hoping to contribute a little more this year - jimmy put me on the email list!

The course is looking good! Nice to finally see some of you fellas again! :)
Is this the 5:00 free crack give away?
Kelly K

Postby jnecessary » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:10 am

All functional trimming is done out on the course right now. The only string trimming really needed is some fluff stuff on 13-17 (around trees/signs). As dry as it has been the grass and nettles are barely growing.

To keep the most recent comment current. There is a lot of smoothing out and debris pickup that can be done. On your next round maybe toss a dozen or so sticks out of the newly cleared areas. Maybe throw a pair of snips in your bag and clip off some of those little shrubby things here and there.

Kelly, you are definitely on the list now. I assumed you were before, my bad :)
jnecessary

Postby jnecessary » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:34 am

NO WORK NIGHT TONIGHT, JULY 2ND.

It is really hot out so I'm not asking anyone to work. However, if you do want to put in some time, just let me know and I'll join. Still plenty of stuff needing to be done. There is chainsaw work, simple carrying stuff around, teebox building, hauling railroad ties, string trimming and even just pitching debris out of fairways.

If it cools down a lot this month we might get together for some work on a Monday night. Otherwise, it will be next month. By that point, all of the manual trimming will need to begin again with hole 1 and work through the course.
jnecessary

Postby Vicious Circle Disc Golf » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:36 am

There is a large tree limb down in the fairway on hole six. It is going to need some chainsaw work and then carry the debris way off to the side.
Vicious Circle Disc Golf

Postby jnecessary » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:55 pm

Vicious Circle Disc Golf wrote:There is a large tree limb down in the fairway on hole six. It is going to need some chainsaw work and then carry the debris way off to the side.

Thank you to the city for cleaning this up today!
jnecessary

Postby jnecessary » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:52 pm

First Monday work night tomorrow. I will be out there after I'm off work, probably by 430or 5.

My goal will be getting some erosion control going on hole 5's red pad with the help of some of the railroad ties we have stacked on hole 1. I think Killion has volunteered his lower back pain quota to help on that but if someone gets off earlier than 5 I could use some help loading ties in my pickup. got the ties hauled to the teepad, nothing installed yet.

Other goals for the night:

*String trimming. There isn't a lot that needs done but anyone can walk the course and clean up what isn't dead from heat and drought. *Opened the path to hole 14 Red from the road back up
*doneThe path from the walkway to 10 blue pad and the area around the pad need trimming for sure.
*doneThere is a new fallen tree or branch off to the left of the long placement on hole 6 that needs cut up and tossed away.

There is always something to do and nothing is urgent right now so if you have an idea for improvements and want to chip in let's hear it!
Last edited by jnecessary on Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
jnecessary

Postby jnecessary » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:26 am

Instead of sending emails out hounding people to attend work nights, I figured people check here or see new posts on the forum kind of regularly.

A neat tip would be to subscribe to a thread, such as the work status thread here by clicking the link at the bottom of the page. This way you can get instant emails anytime someone posts in this thread.

jnecessary

Postby Hamer » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:32 pm

To the work crew:

There was a smaller size tree laying on the #2 blue tee pad the last time I was out there.
There is a dead tree leaning on a live tree on hole #4.
The large dead tree on #13 to the left of the basket blew down in the wind. We got lucky that it just missed the directional marker.
Hole #16 needs a little clean up between the two basket locations.
I will be doing some clean up work out there leading up to the doubles tournament on 8/26/2012.

Andy Hamer
You can only be offended if you want to be.
Hamer

Postby Hamer » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:02 pm

We worked at the Peninsula over the weekend. Thank you to Jason, Andrew and Gus for helping. We cut up and removed the tree that was down on the hole #2 blue tee pad. We cut down the dangerous leaning dead tree on #4. It was hazardous and it was leaning on a good live tree. We picked up a lot of branches that were down in the fairways from the recent wind storms. We picked up what we could of the big tree down on hole #13. The course is looking good.
Hamer

Postby Hamer » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:19 pm

Last night used pole saw and cleared up hanging limbs on #2 - #6.

Today used pole saw on #7 - 10. Moved baskets on #1, #4, #5 and #7. Chainsaw on #5 blue. We could use more of that big long cut up so the wider mower that the city uses can get through. Cleared up the hanging limbs that were a huge mess on the left side of #13 and dragged them off of the fairway.
Hamer

Postby Hamer » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:20 pm

Friday night: Jason and I worked on the mess of garbage bushes on #13 left of the short pin.

Saturday: We finished working on #13 short and trimmed out about 15 feet of willows in the fairway on #13 so that you can at see the basket on your approach.

Sunday: We cleared out some of the tree that was down on #2 blue tee pad that Marty chopped up.
Hamer

Postby jnecessary » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:16 pm

I'll be out there after work today. If anyone with a strong back wants to donate a little time, come on out. I'm almost finished cutting up the big tree on hole 6 but need help getting it all moved out of the fairway. This was a huge tree so trying to get it all cut small enough to be rolled/carried away by a couple people. Just not going to hurt myself doing it.

You don't have to help tonight either, but if you want to get a friend and play a round this weekend and stop on 6 to roll/carry some stuff away that would be awesome.

txt if you are going to show up though 8o4-8|4-o658
jnecessary

PreviousNext

Return to Iowa City - Peninsula Park