Rules question

Post questions and comments to Justin McLuen the Iowa State Coordinator

Moderator: Clue

Rules question

Postby claring » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:33 am

Playing second round with Climo and there is a walk from hole 3 to hole 4 so I am texting Neils, get to the tee and he tells me I can't be using my phone as I could be texting some one ahead that would be letting me know what the wind is like and to throw a certain disc. First off I don't see why that would be illegal some one giving me advice as to what disc to throw. Being it was close to tourney central I went and asked the Marshall and he did not know said he would have to call some one and find out.
My primary reason for the phone was to use the score card app and since there was some extra time I was bugging Neils.

I already knew the correct answer and kind of got it after the marshall returned but what is the correct response? Is it legal or illegal? Yes the phone was on silent
claring

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:30 am

I've had enough discussions with you about the rules this year to last me a lifetime.
GDL17921

Postby claring » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:01 am

GDL17921 wrote:I've had enough discussions with you about the rules this year to last me a lifetime.

Why's that? As I recall that wasn't a discussion as it was one sided
claring

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:05 am

claring wrote:
GDL17921 wrote:I've had enough discussions with you about the rules this year to last me a lifetime.

Why's that? As I recall that wasn't a discussion as it was one sided

whatever
GDL17921

Postby Captain » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:30 am

This is when you turn to Kenny and say "You ain't callin' shit." Then you give him that patented Claring stoic stare that says you're completely serious.
Captain

Postby Nohr » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:01 am

Claring Whip that cell phone out and use it how you see fit. Just don't use it as a range finder and you should be fine. I think they would have to classify your cell phone as an " artificial device that is determined by the director to violate section 802.04 A. " after that then they could stroke you for using it. If there are any questions just say "I am tagging my mp3s". Kind of a donkey attempt saying you could get wind reads via text. Well everyone can get wind reads if they toss grass or talk to the other players.
3.1.C

C. Players are not permitted to have audible mobile phones or audible pagers on the course during any competitive round. In addition, personal music players and other devices must be used exclusively with personal headphones and the volume must be kept at a level so as not to be heard by other players.

802.04 A/B

A. During a round, a player shall not use any artificial device that may assist in making a throw, except those devices that reduce or control abrasion to the skin (such as gloves, tape, bandages, gauze, etc.) and medical items (such as knee and ankle braces, etc.). Items used to prevent slipping on the teeing surface are also allowed. A player is specifically prohibited from using any artificial device that changes the position of the disc in the player’s hand or artificially lengthens any of the player’s throwing levers (fingers, wrist, arm, shoulder, etc.). The use of devices which assist in determining distances over 10 meters, such as range finders and GPS devices are prohibited. Measuring devices such as a tape measure may be carried and used to determine distances 10 meters and less for the purpose of rules enforcement

B. A player shall receive two penalty throws, without a warning, if, during any portion of a round, he or she is observed by two players or an official to be using or carrying an artificial device that is determined by the director to violate section 802.04 A. A player who uses an artificial device after it has been determined by the director to be in violation of 802.04 A has also violated section 3.3 of the Competition Manual and shall be penalized accordingly.

3.3 Competition Manual

3.3 Player MisconductA. The PDGA adopts a strict policy of appropriate behavior and comments to the media. Any conduct deemed to be unprofessional is subject to disqualification by the Tournament Director, and may also be subject to further disciplinary actions from the PDGA.
B. Players are expected to behave in a professional and sportsmanlike manner while participating in a PDGA sanctioned event. Actions that are in violation of this conduct include but are not limited to:
(1) Repeated and overt use of abusive or profane language
(2) Throwing items in anger (other than discs in play)
(3) Overt rudeness to anyone present
(4) Willful and overt destruction, abuse or vandalism of property, including animal and plant life
(5) Cheating: a willful attempt to circumvent the rules of play
(6) Physical attacks or threatening behavior to anyone present
(7) Activities which are in violation of Federal, State or Local laws or ordinances, park regulation or disc golf course rule. Directors are granted the discretion to disqualify a player based on the severity of the offending conduct. An official warning of disqualification may be issued by a director where appropriate.
(8) The possession of illegal substances in violation of Federal, State or Local laws.
(9) Excessive use of alcohol at the tournament site.
(10) Possession of alcohol from the start of play until the player’s scorecard is submitted. Such possession shall result in immediate disqualification at PDGA events sanctioned at B-Tier or higher. The Tournament Director may, at his sole discretion, elect to issue a warning to the offending player in lieu of disqualification solely at
PDGA events sanctioned at C-tier and below. If a player has been previously issued a warning for alcohol possession at the same event, all subsequent violations shall result in immediate disqualification.
(11) Overt failure or refusal to enforce the rules of disc golf during competition.
(12) Failure or refusal to cooperate with, or obstruction of any investigation by an official into the competitor’s conduct or the conduct of another competitors.
(13) Deliberately seeking to manipulate ones player rating through intentional misplay or withdrawal.
C. Tournament Directors are required to report any disqualifications to the PDGA as quickly as possible.
D. Disqualified players shall forfeit any prize money or merchandise and shall not receive a refund of entry fees.
E. Players who commit Player Misconduct may also be subject to disciplinary actions. To find out more information about the Disciplinary Process please visit www.pdga.com/discipline.
Nohr

Postby Cydisc » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:55 am

You could get the same wind reading from Climo's ears flapping.
Cydisc

Postby Dale Jordal » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:15 pm

"audible mobile phones" :shock:
What other kind of phone would this be? other than maybe a broken one. :lol:

This kind of hampers Verizon being a sponser.
FCDGC Home of the:
IA/MN Border Bash - (Iowa Tour Event)
Battle at the Bridge - (North Iowa Tour Event)
Forest City, Iowa
Dale Jordal

Postby blkwizardsonny » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:46 am

Cydisc wrote:You could get the same wind reading from Climo's ears flapping.
lmao steve im tellin :lol: :lol:
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny

Postby The Donator » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:55 pm

Sounds like the ultimate rules person Feldberg tried to call out Devan for the same thing today. Seems like its brand new information that started at this tournament.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby Nohr » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:38 pm

Pagin Chuck Kennedy.

Chuck if you don't use your cell phone as a range finder and it is on silent can you use it? Specifically is posting on facebook against the rules while you are in a tournament round.
Nohr

Postby cgkdisc » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:55 pm

It's okay to use the phone as long as it's not used for rangefinding. It's not unreasonable for a player to ask a player who seems to be using the phone regularly during the round what they are up to. This actually happened at Worlds where apparently a mom and junior had mapped the GPS coordinates for his courses in a phone app. During the round, she was calling out distances to her son using the phone app. This was reported to a marshal just before the semis but I didn't hear what happened if or when the mom and kid were confronted.

As a side note, the RC will be proposing blanket use of phones and rangefinders to measure distances or get advice during your round starting with 2013 as long as you still don't take more than your 30 seconds when it's your turn.
cgkdisc

Postby Grimm » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:24 pm

cgkdisc wrote:It's okay to use the phone as long as it's not used for rangefinding. It's not unreasonable for a player to ask a player who seems to be using the phone regularly during the round what they are up to. This actually happened at Worlds where apparently a mom and junior had mapped the GPS coordinates for his courses in a phone app. During the round, she was calling out distances to her son using the phone app. This was reported to a marshal just before the semis but I didn't hear what happened if or when the mom and kid were confronted.

As a side note, the RC will be proposing blanket use of phones and rangefinders to measure distances or get advice during your round starting with 2013 as long as you still don't take more than your 30 seconds when it's your turn.

30 seconds is a joke imo. You can always say I was distracted.

I do care about drinking on the course though. If the park is a drinking park can I drink their? I kind of know the answer but it changes with what the tier is.

The thing that pisses me off is it's all ok to do other things at any event during the round but I may be kicked out for what I can do during a casual round. I can care less what others do, just want a final ruling and the rule book from what I read isn't exact.
50 lashes for drinking the groups whiskey isn't steep.
Grimm

Postby MDR_3000 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:30 pm

Grimm wrote:
The thing that pisses me off is it's all ok to do other things at any event during the round but I may be kicked out for what I can do during a casual round.

my face hurts from reading that.
If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

Postby blkwizardsonny » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:54 pm

MDR_3000 wrote:
Grimm wrote:
The thing that pisses me off is it's all ok to do other things at any event during the round but I may be kicked out for what I can do during a casual round.

my face hurts from reading that.
lmfao i thought the same shit but didnt want to say it my ankle hurts worse now after laughing
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny

Next

Return to Ask the State Coordinator