Question about Flights?

Post questions and comments to Justin McLuen the Iowa State Coordinator

Moderator: Clue

Question about Flights?

Postby Skell » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:40 am

I was wondering if the "Flighted" Format (not Divisions) would be possible when you have half the players at one course and the other half of players at a different course. Then they swap locations in the afternoon and play the course the other group played in the morning. So eventually both groups would have played both courses for the Tournament. Is there a fair way to assign players to Flights for the awards/payouts? Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Skell

Postby Clue » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:34 am

Yes, just make course A round 1 and course B round 2 regardless of when they play it, so half the field would be playing round 2 first. Then their 2nd round would determine their flight. Certainly there's potential for tanking that 2nd round, but I think it's such a negligible problem I wouldn't worry about it.
Clue

Postby Peil » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:16 am

Clue wrote:Yes, just make course A round 1 and course B round 2 regardless of when they play it, so half the field would be playing round 2 first. Then their 2nd round would determine their flight. Certainly there's potential for tanking that 2nd round, but I think it's such a negligible problem I wouldn't worry about it.

I think there may have been some stroke shaving going on in the 1st round of our tournaments this year. Nothing terrible but people trying to stay out of the bottom of Open and get to the top of Advanced. If people don't know which round/course is going to be used to determine the flights, this may even cut down on that a little bit.
Peil

Postby Skell » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:54 am

Clue wrote:Yes, just make course A round 1 and course B round 2 regardless of when they play it, so half the field would be playing round 2 first. Then their 2nd round would determine their flight. Certainly there's potential for tanking that 2nd round, but I think it's such a negligible problem I wouldn't worry about it.

I thought this would probably be the way to do it. But I didn't know if it was fair or not. Since 1/2 the players would play the course in the morning and the other 1/2 would play it in the afternoon, so the conditions would be different for the two groups.

The other concern I had about doing this, it would be after the tournament is complete, even though we are using course A as the score to flight them, we would basically be determining who would be the champ of one flight and the bottom of the other flight and not get anything. And after 1 round (the round we flight from) there are usually a lot of ties right at the breaks of the flights, this year we were doing a CTP throwoff to determine what flights they get split into so our flights would have exactly the same number of people if at all possible. If we did that in this situation it would be determining the champ of one flight and getting paid something, to the others not getting anything at the bottom of the other Flight. But we could just forget about doing that. But then how do you determine what flight you put those players in that are tied, what flight do you make larger than the others. Say there are 5 players tied between Open and Advanced, do you make Open the large Flight or Advanced the Large flight?
Skell

Postby Skell » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:58 am

Probably make Advanced the Large Flight because it is the middle flight and the scores are always the most compact. Everyone in that Flight no matter where they were at always still had a chance to win it. Because like all 15 players would only be seperateed by like 4 or 5 strokes. So making that the large flight would probably be the most fair, because everyone is still competitve for the win. But if you put them at the bottom of open, they are probably 10 strokes or more behind the leader.
Skell

Postby irban » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:36 am

Which end do I start from?

~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Return to Ask the State Coordinator