Penn State Penalties....

Sports related topics.

Postby IHearChains » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:12 am

Two questions.

If they don't play football where's the $60M fine coming from?

What is the impact of sanctions (as applied now, or if the death penalty was applied) on non-revenue sports? Everyone knows football revenue pays those bills. Do those athletes have to suffer too?
IHearChains

Postby Chase20460 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:19 am

IHearChains wrote:Two questions.

Im sure you know plenty of universities that can make money without sports. I doubt Penn State is any different. Applied Sciences, shit like that pays bills as well.

Or...Alumni.

What is the impact of sanctions (as applied now, or if the death penalty was applied) on non-revenue sports? Everyone knows football revenue pays those bills. Do those athletes have to suffer too?

They will dig deep to insure the student body isnt taxed overly hard to keep the numbers coming in. I see it as common sense.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby Single L » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:08 am

IHearChains wrote:Two questions.

The NCAA agreement dictates that other non-revenue sports must not suffer because of the football sanctions.

Penn State has pledged not to use tuition money, tax revenue or donations to pay that cost. PSU said it will use the school's athletics reserve fund and the capital maintenance budget. If money from those two funds cannot cover the entire cost, Penn State would issue an internal bond against future football revenues; which will come with with a hefty interest as future of the program is quite uncertain.

With an endowment of $1.8 Billion and it ending up being a $12 million dollar hit per year ($60m paid over 5 years) I think they'll be just fine. Even when you tack on the $3.25 million ($13m over 4 years) in estimated loss of annual bowl revenue its only a $15.25 Million hit per year. Sure its a lot of money, but with the endowment, mega fundraising, and donors its really not that much. PSU just came off their second highest fundraising campaign in school history, even with the scandal and trial going on.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby IHearChains » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:29 am

Single L wrote:The NCAA agreement dictates that other non-revenue sports must not suffer because of the football sanctions.

I was unaware of that. excellent.

Single L wrote:Penn State has pledged not to use tuition money, tax revenue or donations to pay that cost. PSU said it will use the school's athletics reserve fund and the capital maintenance budget. If money from those two funds cannot cover the entire cost, Penn State would issue an internal bond against future football revenues; which will come with with a hefty interest as future of the program is quite uncertain.

This was why I was asking the question. Without the future football revenues as backup, in case of the death penalty, I think the whole scenario punishes innocent people a lot more.

Just to be clear, I am not defending PSU in any way shape or form.
IHearChains

Postby IHearChains » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:30 am

Chase20460 wrote:Im sure you know plenty of universities that can make money without sports. I doubt Penn State is any different.

good point, Illinois has managed to do OK without a football team for years
IHearChains

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:37 am

IHearChains wrote:
Chase20460 wrote:Im sure you know plenty of universities that can make money without sports. I doubt Penn State is any different.

lol, careful tho, dem's fightin' words :lol:
GDL17921

Postby 1semenking » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:42 am

Considering that the NCAA is the overseeing party of all things college sports, shouldn't they be at fault for not knowing about this? Or are they just there to punish programs(in their organization) that do the wrong thing?

Maybe they should be the sanctioning committee for the Catholic Church

:twisted:
1semenking

Postby Chase20460 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:05 pm

IHearChains wrote:

Exactly. LOL, That was too good to be mad about.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby tufluk » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:26 pm

1semenking wrote:Considering that the NCAA is the overseeing party of all things college sports, shouldn't they be at fault for not knowing about this? Or are they just there to punish programs(in their organization) that do the wrong thing?

They wish. According to Wikipedia, The Church has paid out more than $3 Billion, and still counting.
I'd have liked to have seen more priests and their superiors in orange jumpsuits.
Civil penalties for criminal acts isn't right.
tufluk

Postby The Donator » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:30 pm

tufluk wrote:
1semenking wrote:Considering that the NCAA is the overseeing party of all things college sports, shouldn't they be at fault for not knowing about this? Or are they just there to punish programs(in their organization) that do the wrong thing?

They wish. According to Wikipedia, The Church has paid out more than $3 Billion, and still counting.
I'd have liked to have seen more priests and their superiors in orange jumpsuits.
Civil penalties for criminal acts isn't right.

Almost every post in here warrants a complete " :roll: ". Ill just let it all be...
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby 1semenking » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:23 pm

I'd like to apologize for the tasteless comment about the Catholic Church. I am sorry.
I really don't know if the penalty is fair or not. Is it the schools fault that the accusations were kept from them? NO! Is it the fault of the student athletes who are feeling the repercussions of these tragic events? NO! I thought it was fair that the athletes were at least able to transfer without having to sit-out for a year. I think the guilty party, Jerry Sandusky, and anyone who didn't report the accusations, should be where the penalties end.

Again, I am sorry for the inconsiderate statements posted earlier.
1semenking

Postby Single L » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:38 pm

1semenking wrote:I think the guilty party, Jerry Sandusky, and anyone who didn't report the accusations, should be where the penalties end.

So a University should be allowed to violate rules, regulations, and code of conduct and then simply fire all involved, then let the judicial system take care of them, and simply wash their hands clean? Hell No, there has to be consequences.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby 1semenking » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:06 pm

Single L wrote:
1semenking wrote:I think the guilty party, Jerry Sandusky, and anyone who didn't report the accusations, should be where the penalties end.

So a University should be allowed to violate rules, regulations, and code of conduct and then simply fire all involved, then let the judicial system take care of them, and simply wash their hands clean? Hell No, there has to be consequences.

What rules did the University break? Not performing a thorough enough background check which should have included a psychoanalysis that proved the man wasn't going to ever do anything bad? C'mon dude!!! You think that the schools who have teachers boinkin' the kids don't get to play in the state tourney next year? Or is that too low of a level of education that it shouldn't matter. Happens every day in every state!!!
1semenking

Postby 1semenking » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:17 pm

Yeah...I know apples to oranges. I'm just kinda pissed that there are not more individuals getting sent to prison over this. I also feel sorry for anyone who was at the wrong place at the wrong time regarding this crap. The University did nothing. The people did!
1semenking

Postby diskey river » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:43 pm

1semenking wrote:What rules did the University break?

Hiring educators that were told of a faculty member molesting little boys in the shower of the football locker room in 1998 and doing nothing about for fear of a scandal allowing countless other young boys to be molested over the next 14 years?
diskey river

PreviousNext

Return to Sports