Penn State Penalties....

Sports related topics.

Penn State Penalties....

Postby Chase20460 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:53 am

Id say they are lucky they didnt the Death Penalty, but what they got was pretty bad....and well deserved. Thoughts?
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby SARG27044 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:05 am

This whole ordeal will be more of a penalty on Penn St. future than any penalties the NCAA could have dished out.
SARG27044

Postby Chase20460 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:25 am

....For the victims, no doubt. Positive PR moves make this a memory in a few years, tops.

Similar to the Colorado shooting, as soon as something else horrible comes along, this will be less important.

Thanks US News Media!!
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby blkwizardsonny » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:31 am

i feel they made a good decision to take down the statue obviously
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny

Re: Penn State Penalties....

Postby tufluk » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:34 am

Chase20460 wrote:Id say they are lucky they didnt the Death Penalty, but what they got was pretty bad....and well deserved. Thoughts?

Very well deserved.
Gotta hit 'em where it hurts. In the pocketbook.
Have never understood how people in authority, (i.e. Penn State admins or Church officials) do not immediately call the cops when they learn about child molesters in their organizations.
If they had embezzled $$$$$$$ you can bet they'd call the cops in a second, but they just tell a perv to go away. Total reversal of logic/morality.
Too bad Joe Pa didn't live to see his precious wins taken.
Glad his statue went away. They shoulda pulled it down with a tank like Saddam's. That woulda been way cool.
Next move is to remove him from college football hall of fame.
Maybe this will change the attitudes of those in power.
"If we try to stop Hitler, it will cost THOUSANDS of lives." So they did nothing and lost MILLIONS of lives. Analogy comparing Neville Chamberlain in the late 1930s to Penn State officials in the late 1990s.
tufluk

Re: Penn State Penalties....

Postby Single L » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:04 pm

Chase20460 wrote:Id say they are lucky they didnt the Death Penalty, but what they got was pretty bad....and well deserved. Thoughts?

While I feel that the penalties were very strong and much deserved how does the WORST sports related scandal not get a worst penalty than the SMU "Death Penalty". Some will argue that a bowl ban, monetary fine, scholarship loss, Players allowed to leave, and the W's removed is probably worse than the "Death penalty". I won't fight that, it may in fact turn out to be worse than the SMU "Death Penalty". My issue is that they are still playing football this year. Every single game this season is going to be a 3 ring circus. If the NCAA really wants them to get their house in order, give them a year without football to do it and focus solely on it. Emmert talked about how the "Death Penalty" would effect many who have nothing to do with the scandal. I say too bad, every action has a consequence; sometimes affecting those not involved. So what if Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska, etc don't have time to fill the void on the schedule and could lose revenue from those games. INNOCENT BOYS WERE RAPPED. The loss of any revenue is negligible to what these kids and their families lost. Collateral damage comes with such egregious acts.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby tufluk » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:32 pm

I believe to use the "Death Penalty" NCAA rules state the school must already be on probation for another major infraction. Read that somewhere.
tufluk

Postby Single L » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:05 pm

tufluk wrote:I believe to use the "Death Penalty" NCAA rules state the school must already be on probation for another major infraction. Read that somewhere.

Criteria:
Repeat Violator Rule (AKA Death Penalty). The rule stipulates that if a second major violation occurs at any institution within five years of being on probation in the same sport or another sport, that institution can be barred from competing in the sport involved in the second violation for either one or two seasons

Used Five Times:
  1. University of Kentucky basketball program for the 1952–53 season: point shaving - SEC ban on conference play for the season; NCAA Post-season Ban; NCAA Ban of schools to play programs in non-compliance. Thus became the first death penalty
  2. University of Southwestern Louisiana for the 1973–74 and 1974–75 seasons: numerous violations, including academic fraud, recruiting violations and improper financial assistance.
  3. Southern Methodist University football program for the 1987 and 1988 seasons: SMU football had already been placed on three years' probation in 1985 for recruiting violations. 1986 Continued violations. Received Death Penalty
  4. Division II men's soccer program at Morehouse College for the 2004 and 2005 seasons: numerous other violations—including a player being allowed to compete without proper paperwork: NCAA cited lack of institutional control. While this was Morehouse's first major infractions case, the NCAA felt compelled to impose the death penalty because of what it called "a complete failure" to keep the program in compliance.
  5. Division III men's tennis program at MacMurray College for the 2005–06 and 2006–07 seasons: scholarships for 10 players from foreign countries. Division III schools are not allowed to offer scholarships. NCAA cited blatant violations. While this was MacMurray's first major infractions case, the NCAA felt compelled to impose the "death penalty" because of the nature of the violations.

The SMU case is the most famous case and involved repeat violations. Bottom-line they can use it where they see fit; regardless if it was a repeat violation.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby diskey river » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:12 pm

If Penn St would have had to forgoe this entire football season like in the SMU death penalty situation, than it would have been way worse for PSU and a better punishment overall.

Not only a huge financial loss for PSU, but as single said, for communities like Iowa City, West Lafayette, and Champagne that depend on those big home game weekends.

A penatly that trickled down affecting college campuses all over America would have made it impossible to have this whole thing just blow over in a couple years.
diskey river

Postby bman12449 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:16 pm

Im with you guys, they shouldn't be playing football this year period. Iowa and the rest of the big 10 should've been told to deal with it this year. Imo as we all know when theres money involved and its football of course there gonna let them play.
I have inside jokes with strangers.
Most interesting man in the world.
bman12449

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:26 pm

I hope Joe Pa is getting raped in hell.
frogawitdafizzle

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:18 am

frogawitdafizzle wrote:I hope Joe Pa is getting raped in hell.

or, in Corey's world, RAPPED :lol:
GDL17921

Postby The Donator » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:22 am

GDL17921 wrote:

ssssssss :lol:
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby Single L » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:43 am

GDL17921 wrote:

Faceplam ...... there's no spell check for stupidity :oops:
Single L

Postby The Donator » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:08 am

Single L wrote:
GDL17921 wrote:

Faceplam ...... there's no spell check for stupidity :oops:

Spellcheck wasnt the problem. :lol:
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Next

Return to Sports