Newbie Question about "stable" discs

Learn to throw from local experts.

Newbie Question about "stable" discs

Postby Athrawn17 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:06 pm

So I've been reading and I've seen the terms "understable" and "overstable". What do these mean? And how do I know if my disc is understable vs overstable?

Thanks.
Athrawn17

Postby Cydisc » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:35 pm

A stable disc will hold a straight line if thrown flat and level.

An overstable disc will tend to curve away from your body (to the left if you're a right-handed, back hand thrower).

The same throw with an understable disc will tend to curve across your body (to the right).

Next week's lesson is the difference between hyzer and anhyzer.
Cydisc

Postby grodney » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:29 am

Note, however, that many players use the term "stable" when they really mean "overstable".

For instance, they'll say: That new Monster is the most stable disc I've thrown.

What they mean is that it's really overstable, not that it's really stable.
grodney

Postby Athrawn17 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:40 am

Okay, so how do I know which discs are stable, overstable, and understable?
Athrawn17

Postby Furthur » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:03 am

Disc flight can really be divided into two stages: High speed and low speed. High speed first part of the flight when the disc is going the fastest. If you look at Innova's 4 number system, this is what they call the "turn." In reference to stability, most discs are either high speed stable (meaning 0 turn at high speeds when thrown flat and correctly) or understable (-1 or more, so they appear to flip up from a hyzer or flip/track over from the flat position). I think a few companies have some discs that are actually overstable in the beginning of their flight as well (whippit and demon are two that come to mind). The low speed portion of disc flight (called the fade by Innova) is normally overstable (fades hard to the left) or stable (no fade). I looked at both the flight charts for Innova and Gateway, and neither company claims to have a disc that is low speed understable. Unfortunately, Discraft's one number system doesn't really help you about both sections of your flight, so you'll have to try them out yourself. Keep in mind that these numbers are only a reference, and you'll have to experiment on your own to see how a disc will fly with your stroke/snap/strength.
Furthur

Postby Furthur » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:04 am

Oh, almost forgot: If you're looking for a collection of resoruces to read over to help you learn some terminology, check out http://www.discgolfreview.com. Tons of great information.
Furthur

Return to Throwing Technique