Peninsula work status for 2012.

Postby Grimm » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:11 pm

[quote="AaronK"]A few more thoughts and suggestions.
1. Can we please find a new home for the metal sign post on 18's fairway? I know it's classy but... This is a professional course.
Hell no. I love seeing that pole hit and I've only seen it once.

Everything else sounds like a good idea.
quote]
50 lashes for drinking the groups whiskey isn't steep.
Grimm

Postby Hamer » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:57 pm

AaronK wrote:A few more thoughts and suggestions.
1. Can we please find a new home for the metal sign post on 18's fairway? I know it's classy but... This is a professional course.
2. Thoughts and feelings about the left side of hole 10? Are there too many ninja branches blocking anything but a PERFECT upshot from the left fairway? Also, lots of wood is piling up just off the fairway and green area's. How difficult do we as a community want this hole to play?
3. Does anyone else want to get a second practice pin installed by the shelter? It would be great to have during tourneys and could serve as a ready to go backup in case a tree actually falls on a course basket. I estimate 500$will be needed to make this happen. My fundraising idea was to collect cans and bottles for a few months, save the money and get the basket in before winter. I would like to know what you all think about the second basket idea. I would be willing to run the collection and business side of this idea with enough interest from the community.

Aaron:
Point #1 - It is my understanding that the metal sign marks a water main and it needs to stay there by order of the city. If someone could talk to the city about removing it and putting in a lower marker that would be great.
Point #2 - I see no problem with cleaning up the left side of hole ten a little bit. We should talk to everyone and make sure that it is all right before we do anything.
Point #3 - A second practice pin is a good idea since the other one was moved to put in thirteen long. You can be in charge of the fundraising.
It is good to see you on here.
Andy
You can only be offended if you want to be.
Hamer

Postby Captain » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:46 am

AaronK wrote:1. Can we please find a new home for the metal sign post on 18's fairway? I know it's classy but... This is a professional course.

Hamer wrote:Point #1 - It is my understanding that the metal sign marks a water main and it needs to stay there by order of the city.

Andy is right. That post was removed once but the city replaced it. It is not to be removed.
Captain

Postby AaronK » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:28 pm

Captain, is there a city official who we can talk to about alternative water main markers? Even a shorter pole would be better.

I know I just opened up the that's what she said tag, so no need to say it now, you know who you are :-)
AaronK

Postby IHearChains » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:39 pm

AaronK wrote:Captain, is there a city official who we can talk to about alternative water main markers?

I don't think there is anything wrong with having an obstacle there. I just wish it was an obstacle that didn't take a notch out of a disc.

How about planting a bush between the post and tee. Would they allow planting over the top of the water main? Not sure how deep it is.

Or, plant a 4x4 wooden post between the metal post and the tee.
IHearChains

Postby strokersix » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:24 pm

IHearChains wrote:Or, plant a 4x4 wooden post between the metal post and the tee.

With a small bulls-eye target on it!
strokersix

Postby tufluk » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:44 pm

Maybe slit a piece of black corrugated drain pipe and slip around the post. Easily taken back off of necessary.
tufluk

Postby AaronK » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:46 pm

I like the ideas that are alternatives to removing the pole. I'm in favor of a "shield" or barrier whether it's simple or extravagant.
AaronK

Postby Buzzz Killington » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:36 am

Thats a lot of cans hombre. Donations are so much easier.
18 does only have 1 obstacle...I like the bush idea, or a tree even. That's classy right?
10's fine. Buck up! I like the bottleneck to the far pin, though Jeff is ready to open it up soon, so that's happening. The live sideways tree stays. You don't want peeps throwing left because of the holes beyond it?
Buzzz Killington

Postby AaronK » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:01 pm

It's not that many cans buzz, and I would not want to be the one to go around asking for donations anyways. Still, 500 $ is 10,000 cans. That breaks down to 50 people coming up with 200 cans a piece or about 12 cans per week for 16 weeks... It doesn't seem like much over that length of time.
I'll be bringing bags for collections to every league night and every round I play, hopefully picking up cans littering the tee pads as well, so start keeping cans for me in your car and keep drinking!
AaronK

Postby diskey river » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:44 pm

Grimm wrote:
AaronK wrote:A few more thoughts and suggestions.

Everything else sounds like a good idea.
Hell no. I love seeing that pole hit and I've only seen it once.

I agree with this, although out of all my years playing there, I still have yet to see it hit.
diskey river

Postby jnecessary » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:26 am

AaronK wrote:Captain, is there a city official who we can talk to about alternative water main markers? Even a shorter pole would be better.

I know I just opened up the that's what she said tag, so no need to say it now, you know who you are :-)

I take offense to that.
jnecessary

Postby Buzzz Killington » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:18 pm

I downed 2 trees on hole #2. It's amazing just exactly how far in the course you make it carrying a chainsaw. I'll be coming back tomorrow morning with a ladder to get the 2 limbs from the tree over the short pin placement. I also was going to mark trees to fell, however the can of spray paint I bought didn't come with a nozzle I guess. F*ing KMart. Anything that's not nailed down...
Buzzz Killington

MONTHLY WEED WHACKIN' PARTY AT PENINSULA!

Postby jnecessary » Wed May 02, 2012 10:32 am

Listen up folks.

First Monday of each month I would like to organize a weed whackin' party at the Pen.

Ideally this is what I would like to see. 8 people minimum showing up every month, I'm thinking this way, we knock out the work quick. 4 groups of 2. Groups starting on 1 and 9, working towards each other...same thing on 10 and 18. I would think 2 hours and we could be done, 4.5 holes per group just trimming up around trees and places the city does not hit.

This is all based on the idea that the city does their part and keeps the fairways mowed.

At the same time, this is worthless when 3-4 people show up to do the work because people burn out on coursework when they would rather be disc'n or doing whatever it is that people do on Mondays.

So, round 1, May 7th. 5-6PM, whatever works for people that will attend. Bring a weed whacker (If you don't have one, borrow one) and come help for a couple hours. Who knows, I might bring some chips or cookies or other refreshments, though they didn't go over as well as I would have liked last time we did this...

I will be hijacking emails from various disc golfing lists I've been on because people should be bugged about this. Folks need to give back, makes the course nice and you get to feel good about yourself in the process.
jnecessary

Postby Buzzz Killington » Wed May 02, 2012 2:26 pm

Well, I one-uped your disregard for safety Jim. Got the branch that hung over #2 short pin with a ladder...stacked on top of a sideways trashcan frame!

Took down a couple of other deadites and lined the backside of the hole.
Mondays won't work for me. Wednesday is the only day I have off. And Saturday morning.
Also my weedeater is electric :lol:
Buzzz Killington

PreviousNext

Return to Iowa City - Peninsula Park