Peninsula work status for 2012.

Peninsula work status for 2012.

Postby Hamer » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:03 pm

This topic is going to be devoted to work at the Peninsula for the current 2012 calendar year.
Anyone can post here with ideas or suggestions.
There are a lot of things happening out on the course this year so stayed tuned.
The goal is to make the course playable all year long.
If you are willing to help, please post your name and the best way to contact you on here and when you are available to help.
Even if you cannot make it out on the work date, we can give you a task you can complete on your own time.
This is a championship caliber and professional style course.
We can all work together and put the Peninsula Disc Golf Park on the map this year.
You can only be offended if you want to be.
Hamer

Postby Hamer » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:47 pm

Here are some things that are going to be done this year.
This are not listed in any order of importance, but rather just a large compilation of what needs work needs done this year.

1)The wood piles on the left side of the hole two fairway need moved.
2)The wood piles on the right side of the hole three fairway will be cleaned up this year.
The city is more than willing to mow the fairways if some of them are widened out.
3)It is my understanding that Kevin and Marty have been or will be marking some trees to cut down.
4)Some clean up is still needed on hole five where the tree fell down by the short pin location.
5)The huge tree that is down on hole six will be cut into pieces so that Marty can move them with his skid loader.
6)The willows that are in the hole thirteen long fairway need to be groomed into a neat manner.
7)A few willows on the right side of the fourteen fairway need trimmed.
8)The far right location at fifteen, also known as the B location, could be brought in from the river bank a bit or even moved elsewhere.
9)There could be some slight trimming on the trees in the seventeen blue tee pad area.
10)A little more work with the thorn bushes around the eighteen long, also known as the eighteen B location, area will be excellent.
Hamer

Postby IHearChains » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:41 pm

Hamer wrote:Here are some things that are going to be done this year.
This are not listed in any order of importance, but rather just a large compilation of what needs work needs done this year....

Thanks for organizing, Andy! I will keep contributing when I can, even if it is not at an arranged work night.
IHearChains

Postby Hamer » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:53 pm

IHearChains wrote:
Hamer wrote:Here are some things that are going to be done this year.
This are not listed in any order of importance, but rather just a large compilation of what needs work needs done this year....

Thanks for organizing, Andy! I will keep contributing when I can, even if it is not at an arranged work night.

Thank you very much Greg. I appreciate the support. I know we are all very busy and it is hard to arrange a group work day, but any little extra help is great. You have always been good about doing jobs out there when you have some free time. The path that you cut down to the fourteen red tee pad is excellent. The foot traffic that goes down there now should mean that it is here to stay without any extra effort.
Hamer

Postby Captain » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:27 am

I think we could use the large tree on #6 for some seats. I will cut that up within the next week.

I also want to dig up some of the outlying cedar trees on #1 and replant them onto #1. The question is WHERE???? I think one on the front right side of the short placement is necessary. Maybe some encircling the long placement? There are about 6-7 trees we could move.
Captain

Postby prodiscgolf » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:37 pm

Thanks for organizing. A couple more for the list: move 15 right pin away from the river's edge and use railroad ties on #5's red tee. Marty said he could move some dirt for us so that 5's tee pad won't end up in the air.
prodiscgolf

Postby Captain » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:08 am

Captain wrote:I think we could use the large tree on #6 for some seats. I will cut that up within the next week.

Done.
Captain

Postby jnecessary » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Captain wrote:
Captain wrote:I think we could use the large tree on #6 for some seats. I will cut that up within the next week.

Done.

In a rush so this is the best I can do...
jnecessary

Postby Hamer » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:02 pm

Captain wrote:

Done.

Way to go Kevin! Good work.
Hamer

Postby Hamer » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:05 pm

Jason and I moved the large pile of limbs and logs on hole two on the left side of the fairway. We got rid of the dead tree that was bent over. We trimmed off all of the ninja branches that we could reach. We used the weed eater and got rid of all of the nettles and thorn bushes on the left side of the fairway all the way down to the basket.
Hamer

Postby jnecessary » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:56 am

Hamer wrote:Jason and I moved the large pile of limbs and logs on hole two on the left side of the fairway. We got rid of the dead tree that was bent over. We trimmed off all of the ninja branches that we could reach. We used the weed eater and got rid of all of the nettles and thorn bushes on the left side of the fairway all the way down to the basket.

I see how it is...start throwing RHBH and suddenly the left hand rough is important! J/K Great work!
jnecessary

Postby Buzzz Killington » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:39 am

Not to poopoo your hard work, keep it up guys!, but also, I was told not to move anything on hole 2 to the left. Any piles have to go right in the middle between the tees, or on the right side of the fairway. Of course I'll be able to take care of that later...
Buzzz Killington

Postby Hamer » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:52 pm

jnecessary wrote:
Hamer wrote:Jason and I moved the large pile of limbs and logs on hole two on the left side of the fairway. We got rid of the dead tree that was bent over. We trimmed off all of the ninja branches that we could reach. We used the weed eater and got rid of all of the nettles and thorn bushes on the left side of the fairway all the way down to the basket.

I see how it is...start throwing RHBH and suddenly the left hand rough is important! J/K Great work!

:D

I like that one. Funny stuff!
Hamer

Postby Hamer » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:54 pm

Buzzz Killington wrote:Not to poopoo your hard work, keep it up guys!, but also, I was told not to move anything on hole 2 to the left. Any piles have to go right in the middle between the tees, or on the right side of the fairway. Of course I'll be able to take care of that later...

We put the logs on the tree line to block off that side. It is all good and there should be nothing to worry about.
Hamer

Postby AaronK » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:37 pm

A few more thoughts and suggestions.
1. Can we please find a new home for the metal sign post on 18's fairway? I know it's classy but... This is a professional course.
2. Thoughts and feelings about the left side of hole 10? Are there too many ninja branches blocking anything but a PERFECT upshot from the left fairway? Also, lots of wood is piling up just off the fairway and green area's. How difficult do we as a community want this hole to play?
3. Does anyone else want to get a second practice pin installed by the shelter? It would be great to have during tourneys and could serve as a ready to go backup in case a tree actually falls on a course basket. I estimate 500$will be needed to make this happen. My fundraising idea was to collect cans and bottles for a few months, save the money and get the basket in before winter. I would like to know what you all think about the second basket idea. I would be willing to run the collection and business side of this idea with enough interest from the community.
AaronK

Next

Return to Iowa City - Peninsula Park