course work

Postby Sprague » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:14 pm

I personally would have looked for a different par 4 layout for 15 (play to 16 with two fairways to choose from). To make up for the missing hole, redesign 14 into a shorter par 3 and the 2nd half of 14 to tee toward the path to 15 for 200ft par 3. Hole 17 is great, but you don't get to stop and enjoy the river because you still have a hole to play - so the course is numbered wrong to me ( I have the option to start on 18 - like 4 at West Lake makes a great 2 loop starting point, hanging by the river after your round is nice).
Sprague

Postby Steady 26542 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:56 pm

discdude08 wrote:Sorry let me clear it up, if you are in line (line of sight) with 15's tee pad looking at its current long pin location, it is 66' shorter and 45' to the left. I already have the area cleared out and marked with a blank white sign! Next time your out check it out. It will play like this, tee off and throw your bomb down near the middle pin location the throw you "whippet" up the hill into the woods and tap in for three!

The location for the basket will be right at the edge of the hill where the tree line is now (to the left) and will have 3 lg trees as a backstop or to kick you disc back down the hill depending on how aggressive you are!

Still plays as a par 3.5 but is a lot sexier, and avoids the far ball diamond!

It does avoid the far ball diamond. I see more play on the closer diamond though. We would have to play the short left pin. Sprague, in your opinion, should the short left green be opened up? Or will putting the pin in that location clear it up just by playing it? That isn't a very lefty friendly hole though... To me, that's the most interesting position. (But I'm a righty...)
Team Iron Lion
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
"Frisbees are a hobby; disc golf is a sport."
Steady 26542

Postby Sprague » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:33 pm

I'd have to look at it closer...I'm not a fan of let play open up the course - it does this naturally, but it's not the job of the player to break and stomp down the rough. If the hole is ready to play - we as designers/superintendents need to do all the necessary cleaning and present the hole as it's meant to be.

I'd love to walk and brainstorm some improvements to the wooded holes at Middle.

Hole 12 has a single tree in the flight window to the green (right position). Since that window is the one of the main options (and the signature route) - the single tree that divides the 20ft wide window into 2 10ft wide windows at 300ft away punishes good drives - It should be cut down. The left position is a long par 3 and would play better to hole 13's basket (or a longer pin) as a true par 4. I would again look to pick up an extra hole by chopping hole 6 into 2 par 3 holes instead of a long blind par 3 that has little scoring separation - you could tee from down by the creek to the current 6 pin for the extra hole and make a new visible pin for 6 (shorter with a fast green).

Hole 2 pin in the woods could use a haircut and I wouldn't be opposed to a shorter pin - just over the water - so it's an easier birdie and the outer option while safe, would be a missed scoring opportunity. That hole is cool, but the tight direct route is way to risky to justify the reward when the wide hyzer can yield a putt and eliminate all the danger).

Hole 9 could use a pin down near the creek that is appealing to the eye. The short blind pin is a 3.5 and plays just like the long...the small green area below the long pin is very beautiful and would make the hole more picturesque.

Hole 10 needs trimmed to encourage drives to the green...the pin side could use some cleaning as well. This hole unfortunately is playing like a short par 4, but could really be an exciting par 3 again, like it was intended.

Hole 14 - divide into two shorter par 3s and turn 15 into a par 4 to 16 with two fairway options (this would take some creativity and balance to make function properly but would be worth investigating.

Middle is already a great course, but it's close to being amazing!

Keep up the great work Brandon! (and send me your work log - so I can add a page for you at CamdenTwo.com - anyone who puts in the kind of hours you did, deserves a place to share their accomplishments)
Sprague

Postby tufluk » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:21 pm

Great idea.
tufluk

Postby Steady 26542 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:31 pm

With the exception of hole 4, I really enjoyed this layout. For some reason I have trouble hitting #2. :roll: I just don't have enough D to get close enough to take a 3 on #8. #9 in the long is a fun hole. I shot 29 on the front.

Should #10 have the long window to the green opened up? There is a branch on the left side of the opening that has some vines growing on it and that's really limiting access to the green. I'd be willing to take it down if given the go ahead.

I actually deuced #14 by throwing a hyzer flip with my Astra. (shameless plug... :lol: ) Made it all the way to the right of the basket. #15's new pin is interesting. My drive put me about 175' out. I threw a bunch of shots to the pin and couldn't get any of them to stay at the top by the bucket. If I tried to go deep I hit a branch and it would roll to the bottom. Hit by the pin and it would roll to the bottom... Same result no matter what. I'll need to play that hole some more.

Ended up with a 53. That will never happen again... :lol:
Team Iron Lion
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Steady 26542

Postby discdude08 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:49 pm

Course work has started for 2012! Many of you have already seen the changes and baskets are being moved! The most noticeable change being hole 11 old pin now rediscovered. It has been moved long right and and because of the difficulty on the approach it plays as a par 4.

I spent 4 hours today weed whacking to clean up the wooded half of the hole and it looks stellar! Please get out and play it and let me know what you think.

More plans include a trimming and whacking the entire back nine. Cleaning up the tee line for hole 2 and repairing any stairs and trails as needed.

The Iron Lion will be hosting a tournament here next month and it should be epic!
Team Iron Lion 36134
discdude08

Postby Lou Siffer » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:25 pm

The City of Bettendorf will be doing a major overhaul on the stream/swamp area that runs from Middle Road near hole five's tee pad all the way to the small pond behind the short pin on hole two.

As such, holes 2 through 6 have been pulled and moved to alternate locations on the course.

It is hoped that construction will be completed sometime this winter, and more importantly, will eliminate the swamp area in the middle of hole three's fairway.

Once the project is completed, there will be some minor changes to some of the holes in that area.

Big thanks go out to Tracey Lopez and Brandon Timper for helping out on this.
"Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then we shall find the way."
-Abraham Lincoln
Lou Siffer

Postby discdude08 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:21 pm

Currently you can still play 18 holes as there are temp holes......

Course flow would be

1, 7, 8, 8a, 9, 10, 10a, 11, 11a, 12, 13, 14, 15, 15a, 16, 17 18, 18a.

Each of the holes with alt or temp shots should be played from the Tee pad to the short pin location then follow the arrows to the temp pad and throw to the long. 18 is the only exception as it is played to the left and center baskets.

Current layout record stands at 46 so get out there while you can and beat it!
Team Iron Lion 36134
discdude08

Postby Steady 26542 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:18 pm

So 18 & 18a are played from the same tee? Sounds like fun. I'll give it a try this weekend and post my score and thoughts. Thanks!
Team Iron Lion
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Steady 26542

Postby Steady 26542 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:24 pm

Played today. Fun layout. Shot a 50 with a 5 and (2) 4's. :oops:
Team Iron Lion
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Steady 26542

Postby discdude08 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:57 pm

2013 new stuff.

Did some clean up work this past weekend on 12 and on 14... still a long ways to go with all the wind damage. Will be moving 14 back into the short until all the trees in the middle location are removed.Saftey first!

If you are out playing and get to those holes youll see lots of stuff chainsawed up feel free to take a few moments and drag some out of the way. Its a lot of work for one guy... :)

Everyone has probably taken notice to all the work on the front side near holes 2-6. This has been a city project and with our help it has also been a project to improve the already great front side. The future for the area is to slightly adjust the tee area for #4 so that it will no longer be straight. It will provide you with the risky over the road hyzer or a flick/anhyzer. also a possibility is reversing the direction of hole 6 and moving the tee for 5 up. The city doesnt want to spend the 10k needed to build a new bridge near 4 tees (to cross from 6-7) insted they want to repair the old one near 5"s tee and use that as the cross. I think flipping 6 so you tee from its long pin back torwards #5 short pin would solve the issue and speed up flow. (no cutting through fairways) it will still be challenging.

please post your input here so we can make a decision to present to the city. I would like to get this to them asap so that when the ground thaws they can jump on the project.
Team Iron Lion 36134
discdude08

Postby treeMD » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:22 pm

I dont think playing 6 backwards solves much for flow issues. If you play it after 3, and theres no bridge by where 4s tee was, then you will have to walk all the way back around the new pond to get to that tee. Also you would be throwing upshots toward that playground or into 5s fairway. Hole 6 has always been one of my favorite holes out there and i think the new pond only makes it tougher, certainly for the left pin but also the long pin if you hyzer off at all.

I agree this area has always had flow issues, but its not like you were walking thru the middle of another fairway, just by 4s teepad. And since 4s teepad has to be moved, that really isnt an issue anymore.

And as far as that creek goes, i dont see it having much water in it, except for right after the rain so crossing it shouldnt be a problem. I think they put a bunch of rock down where the old bridge was to catch debris and slow water flow, id think youd be able to cross there
Q 32845
treeMD

Postby Steady 26542 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:28 pm

I agree with Evan on all counts. Hole 6 is one of the best holes on the front side. Is there no way to put the little bridge back in to cross from 6 to 7? I guess I'd have to see all the work there to know. I have only played the back side since the work began. :oops: I like the idea of moving 4's tee. I would consider putting it so there is a risky "road shot". Maybe put the tee so you have to go between the big trees near the road. Again, I'd have to see what it looks like... (I'm thinking about checking these things out Saturday afternoon.)
Team Iron Lion
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Steady 26542

Postby Steady 26542 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:57 pm

Cleaned up 14 today just past the basket. See what you think Brandon.

I looked at hole 4 and was wondering if the Tee should be put near the manhole. I don't think you want it too far to the right of the manhole because that would make it a simple road skip shot. I like the idea of having to throw either an anny or flick. Not sure how close the old Tee was to the manhole but the distance seems about right.
Team Iron Lion
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Steady 26542

Postby discdude08 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:14 am

Evan: I agree with you too about 6. You would however play 5 then 6 (end near 5's teepad) If in fact the rock holds out and it is crossable i see no issues. The city does not want to build a new bridge. They would rather change holes than spend the cash on a bridge. I like the course the way it is. If we can come up with another solution I am all ears. While you and I and most avid disc'rs dont mind crossing the new creek on rocks and what not it isnt only us playing....

Steady: Thank you for moving the debris. You can see there is still a lot to do. I to like the idea of near the man hole. I didnt want to go to far up the hill to the right bc the road shot then becomes easy but just far enough to give options. we will also get the chance to re sink the pin wherever we want so if we need to do minor location adjustments to make the tee shot better we can.

All in all i think having the new creek and pond makes the few holes surrounding them better and maybe a little more challenging. Its a good thing for the course and park.
Team Iron Lion 36134
discdude08

PreviousNext

Return to Bettendorf - Middle Park