Throwing flat

Learn to throw from local experts.

Throwing flat

Postby desertstormvet » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:53 pm

I have been throwing for almost a year and still having issues with getting any distance. My son noticed that Im not throwing the disc flat, the nose is slightly lifted, after he told me that I can see it. Im having a hard time bringing it down at the end of my throws, any suggestions?
“The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.”
desertstormvet

Postby z-man » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:02 pm

When you bring the disc back before your pull...imagine that you are sliding the disc across a bar top...or some similar long flat surface...This may help you keep a level swing and not lead to you dipping your trailing shoulder (thus leading to a nose up throw)...

O...and thank you sir for serving this great country of ours
I want to get a vending machine with fun sized candy bars...and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad, but it will be too late.
-Mitch Hedberg
~namaste~
z-man

Postby Detra319 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:59 pm

Also a good tip is to hold the edge of the disc that is opposite from your gripping hand pointed up into the air. If you hold that edge up all the way through the release, it will almost force the dsic to come out flat. Very good tip that helped me tremendously with throwing flat. It will feel odd for the first throws and it will be hard to remember to do, but it is worth it.
The finial... Even with no clouds!
Detra319

Postby desertstormvet » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:31 pm

Detra319 wrote:Also a good tip is to hold the edge of the disc that is opposite from your gripping hand pointed up into the air. If you hold that edge up all the way through the release, it will almost force the dsic to come out flat. Very good tip that helped me tremendously with throwing flat. It will feel odd for the first throws and it will be hard to remember to do, but it is worth it.

Are you saying to grab the back of he disc with your opposite hand or tilt the back edge upward?
“The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.”
desertstormvet

practice

Postby RelentlessLefty » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:38 pm

I am by no means an expert player. but when i notice issues with my drives or am just working on improving my raw distance i will go out to a football practice field and take all my drivers and throw around 75-80 drives a night ( i liked the football field because i could see improvement over time). i found it refreshing to just think about driving rather than how to get my disc as close to the hole sitting in front of me. Most of this is common knowledge, but it took someone to tell me this before i really went out and tried it.
RelentlessLefty

Re: practice

Postby desertstormvet » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:46 pm

RelentlessLefty wrote:I am by no means an expert player. but when i notice issues with my drives or am just working on improving my raw distance i will go out to a football practice field and take all my drivers and throw around 75-80 drives a night ( i liked the football field because i could see improvement over time). i found it refreshing to just think about driving rather than how to get my disc as close to the hole sitting in front of me. Most of this is common knowledge, but it took someone to tell me this before i really went out and tried it.

i have a field down the street that i go down and throw, its longer than a football field, kind of lucky i think. I go down several nights a week. Im working on trying to improve my technique, i just noticed recently i throw with the nose above level and trying to get it flat, so thanks for all of the advice.
desertstormvet

Postby Detra319 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:52 pm

desertstormvet wrote:
Detra319 wrote:Also a good tip is to hold the edge of the disc that is opposite from your gripping hand pointed up into the air. If you hold that edge up all the way through the release, it will almost force the dsic to come out flat. Very good tip that helped me tremendously with throwing flat. It will feel odd for the first throws and it will be hard to remember to do, but it is worth it.

Are you saying to grab the back of he disc with your opposite hand or tilt the back edge upward?

Tilt the back edge upward. Then try a practice throw and notice how your wrist naturally rotates towards becoming flat. Try it the other way and you will notice it can come through however you are holsing your wrist when you start the throw.
The finial... Even with no clouds!
Detra319

Postby desertstormvet » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:56 pm

Detra319 wrote:
desertstormvet wrote:

Tilt the back edge upward. Then try a practice throw and notice how your wrist naturally rotates towards becoming flat. Try it the other way and you will notice it can come through however you are holsing your wrist when you start the throw.

Thanks for the advice, i will give it try the next time i go out to throw, maybe tomorrow if its not raining.
desertstormvet

Postby anubis080 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:26 am

Point with your thumb is the best advice I can give. If your thumbnail is flat, it's going flat. If it's pointed left/right, it is going in its respective line. Applies to putting, backhand and forehand.
"he always flips his nuke ss's over forehand"-Rich
"those are regular z nukes, Rich..."-Andy
anubis080

Return to Throwing Technique