Finger on the RIM?

The most important skill in the game, learn it here

Postby Grimm » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:56 pm

tufluk wrote:
Grimm wrote:
blkwizardsonny wrote:i think all fingers on rim are best sssss

Turbo puts are dumb.

Unless you're behind a big bush, like #16 @ Prospect. :roll:

(Throwing my upshot behind the bush. That's dumb.)

Exactly why they are dumb! :D
50 lashes for drinking the groups whiskey isn't steep.
Grimm

Postby Detra319 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:34 pm

GDL17921 wrote:
Detra319 wrote:
GDL17921 wrote:I was told very early that finger on the rim is a bad habit. I believe the guy that told me won the Memorial in Pro Masters last year. I took the advice. You'll never be able to throw putters off the tee with your finger on the rim. Not that you would, but developing the habit of putting with your finger on the rim makes it harder to learn to grip a putter when you are wanting to start using it for tee and up shots, which is a critical part of every top pro's game.

I putt with my finger on the rim, and have since I started playing. I have tried several times to switch, sometimes going months at a time using different techniques. In the end I always come back to putting my finger on the rim.

And as for not being able to throw a putter off the tee with a finger on the rim, you're crazy. I have done that for a long time and enjoyed quite a bit of success with it. I use the finger on the rim on drivers also when I need to maintain slower speed hyzers. Dunno, but I guess in your words Jay...I call. :P

And btw...you can talk shit about my rating, or what other top pros have told you or whatever. But we all know there are 10,000 different putting techniques out there and no one has ever really "proven" there is a best way. People spend literally billions on studying ball golf swings, and even they don't know what is "the" way to swing a golf club.

Calm down dude, I'm not going to slam you or anybody on their technique making references to their rating or whatev. I'm just sharing my experience. Take it for what it's worth. I will say however, that I'm glad I was able to ruffle your feathers. :lol:

Just using your own technique on you, sorry if it rubs off. *kowtow*
The finial... Even with no clouds!
Detra319

Postby Nohr » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:25 pm

I am pretty sure Paul McBeth puts his finger on the rim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... P0#t=6889s
Nohr

Postby z-man » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:19 pm

Nohr wrote:I am pretty sure Paul McBeth puts his finger on the rim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... P0#t=6889s

And look at the result...
I want to get a vending machine with fun sized candy bars...and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad, but it will be too late.
-Mitch Hedberg
~namaste~
z-man

Postby Nohr » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:34 pm

Nohr

Postby z-man » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:16 pm

Nohr wrote:The results looks like $4k

http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/61927/Open

I've played with Paul out here in Cali...I'm not saying he isn't a great putter/golfer...
I was just sayin' you should have picked a video where he made the putt...that's all :wink:
I want to get a vending machine with fun sized candy bars...and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad, but it will be too late.
-Mitch Hedberg
~namaste~
z-man

Postby Nohr » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:52 pm

Here we go I just didn't watch long enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6uRadDq ... e#t=10739s
Nohr

Postby The Donator » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:25 pm

I watched that whole round live...i believe that may have been the only putt he missed all round.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby Nohr » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:14 am

I need to find some video backup but I think Josh Anton putts with his finger on the rim also.
Nohr

Postby Schirm » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:19 am

Nohr wrote:I need to find some video backup but I think Josh Anton putts with his finger on the rim also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaLfeYuyqlE

Looks like its under...pause it at 2:16.
Force, Wraith, Teebird, Viking, Pig, Buzzz, Challenger...This week at least.
Schirm

Postby Detra319 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:22 pm

Schirm wrote:
Nohr wrote:I need to find some video backup but I think Josh Anton putts with his finger on the rim also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaLfeYuyqlE

Looks like its under...pause it at 2:16.

I'm too lazy...look up the disc golf guy vlog on youtube, josh anthon putts with his finger on the rim.
The finial... Even with no clouds!
Detra319

Postby stover720 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:21 am

I have read and heard from many places that say you should not put your finger on the rim. It might feel comfortable and work for you right now, but to improve your putting even more I think its better to take it off. Whenever you try something different it will be worse to start. You just have to think of the long term gain.

Btw, without tracking down all the places I have heard and read this I simply just picked up a putter. If you are a spin/snap putter, putting your finger on the rim seems to cause resistence. With the finger under the rim it glides easier and would come out of your hand much easier. Just pick up a putter and try wiggling the disc back and forth both ways and see if you notice this too.

You can always do what you want, but I suggest putting the finger under the rim.
stover720

Postby Buzzz Killington » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:36 pm

Scott Stokely says no finger; tuck the first knuckle for more spin as the tip of your finger doesn't allow the disc to pivot/rotate on release. Inside of 40ft I give the finger. Can't help it. I tried changing up my style but until I get control of the release like the finger allows, I am stuck in my ways. Though mostly, my putts are dependant upon the mental demons waging war in my brains everytime I put my mini down. I think Tony Robins might be of more help than moving my finger around, BUT, there's too much to say about the relationship between form and consistancy.
Buzzz Killington

Postby really » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:21 am

does it really matter how you hold your putter just as long as the end results in the putter in the basket?
DGA
really

Postby irban » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:03 am

really wrote:does it really matter how you hold your putter just as long as the end results in the putter in the basket?

It matters if it is bad advice for the average player. I think the question about this, and other style choices, would be whether they are good form or just habit. Everyone's musculature and bone structure and whatever else is slightly different, so you have some styles that work better for some people than for others. You would advise against a new player developing a style like finger on the rim if it is bad form for the typical player, realizing that some players are fine with it. Pretty sure no one teaches how to swing like Jim Furyk. I'm not sure whether finger on the rim is bad form for the typical player, but I do question what advantage it provides. There may be something I'm missing.

(edit: Actually, my true opinion is that finger on the rim is a bad habit. Every style I've heard of, and used, that involves less positive contact with the disc, has proven to be bad form. I started out using a version of a freestyle frisbee grip for instance, because I didn't know any better. I had 3 fingers underneath, and made it work because I played about every daylight hour. The power grip, or pinch grip was a revelation for me. I've seen some people who even use 2 fingers!! Once you start that stuff, it takes work and time to change. )
(edit: Course I'm also not convinced that the jump putt is a good idea either, so there's that.)
Last edited by irban on Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

PreviousNext

Return to Putting Technique